Include ../../.. path is mysterious - whats going on here?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by jason, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. jason

    jason Guest

    Why is it that my index.asp file sitting in the following dir:

    ...wwwroot/EYS/new/hunter/356/

    ....will only accept an include file with the following path:

    <!--#include file=-"../../../includes/forms/riverbend/form_box.asp">

    Notice the preceeeding .../../../

    which indicates the include sits here:

    wwwroot/EYS/includes/forms/riverbend/

    Why is this: Surely I should be able to reference the INCLUDE like this:

    <!--#include file=-"includes/forms/riverbend/form_box.asp">

    Yet this would be produce the following error.

    The include file 'includes/forms/riverbend/form_box.asp' was not found.

    But, to me this says the /includes/ folder is found off the root of
    /catamaranco/

    Can someone explain this cleary to me because [.../.../..] just does not
    look right to me at all and is very confusing.
    jason, Sep 16, 2003

  2. jason

    Ray at Guest

    That is expected when you do a file include. If you want the include to be
    rooted from the root of the site, do a virtual include.
    <!-- #include virtual="/includes/forms/riverbend/form_box.asp" -->

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Sep 16, 2003

  3. jason

    jason Guest

    Ok got it - I guess its a choice of one evil over another.

    Thanks
    Jason

    jason, Sep 16, 2003