Installing ASP.net Server on Win XP Home?

Stefan Richter

Is it possible to install IIS on WIN XP Home?
If not, which other server could I use instead to be able to develop ASP.Net
stuff with Visual Studio.Net???

I tried to install IIS, and on the Visual Studio CD I found the following
instruction:
---------------
To install Internet Information Services on Windows XP
On the Start menu, choose Run.
In the Open dialog box, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK to open the
Add/Remove Programs dialog box; you can also access this dialog box from the
Control Panel.
In the Add/Remove Programs dialog box, choose Add/Remove Windows Components
on the left side of the dialog box.
In the Windows Component Wizard, check Internet Information Services (IIS).
Choose Next to begin installing IIS.
---------------
Unfortunately, "IIS" doesn't seem to be available on my WIN XP Home System!
?
A work mate is using WIN XP Pro, and there you can find it in the Add/Remove
Programs dialog box.

Is there any way, to install any ASP.Net Server on WIN XP Home?

Thx,

Stefan

Stefan Richter

K, thx, IIS should be running now,

though I have no idea now, how to go on.
How can I get this server running, so that I got a localhost and so on, and
so forth?

Someone told me I needed a "Virtual Directory" which I created under
"Default Website".
What's then?

I want to start a new ASP Project in Visual Studio.net, and that's still not
working.

Thx,

Stefan

Jesper Stocholm

Please note that this approach requires an unused license to the operating
system from which the iis-dlls are retrieved - otherwise you'd violate the
licenseagreement for that OS - hence it would be equivilant to using
pirated [1] software.

The example uses a dll from Windows 2000 Adv. Svr, and in this case you'd
need a license for this system to use the dll legitimately.

[1] Is 'pirated' software the correct English word?

Stefan Richter

Please note that this approach requires an unused license to the operating
system from which the iis-dlls are retrieved
I do have ALL required licences. I only don't want to reinstall.

Stefan Richter

Thanks for your help so far.

I tried Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -r

but it didn't help.

So let me exactly tell you what I did so far:

I installed the IIS 5.0 after the installation of Visual Studio.Net:
Common Files
Documentation
Frontpage 2000 Extensions
Internet Information Services Snap In
Internet Services Manager(HTML)
World Wide Web Server
( I only left out SMTP Service)

( Do I maybe need IIS 6.0 ?)

I reinserted the Visual Studio.Net Cds and added all necessary ASP
components.
According to IISRESET /STATUS the server is running:
Status for World Wide Web Publishing Service ( W3SVC ) : Running
I wrote a little asp page "index.asp":
<%
response.write "Hi"
%>
and put it into Inetpub/wwwroot/index.asp

However, when entering http://localhost/ into my browser, it only displays
the "page not found" error.

Besides from what I did so far, I have no idea what I have to do.
( E.g.: Which settings have I got to do in IIS Manager???)
Have I got to add a new folder to Inetpub\wwwroot\ with the same name as my
project?
Cause in Visual Studio it wants to start a project in
http://localhost/WebApplication1

When I try that, it says:
"Visual Studio has detected that the specified web server is not running
ASP.Net version 1.1.
You will be unable to run ASP.Net Web applications or services."

I thought running
Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -r
would solve this, but unfortunately it did not.

Any ideas?

Thx,

Stefan

Jesper Stocholm

I do have ALL required licences. I only don't want to reinstall.

Ok - I am not suggesting that you do not have the licenses required - I
just wanted to clearify the license requirements in case someone thought
they could just rip off the required dll's from e.g. Windows 2000 Adv.
Server downloaded off the internet ... without violating the license
agreement of Windows.

:eek:)