asp.net on xp home?

Nate Hekman

I can understand that one wouldn't be able to run a full-fledged web server
from XP Home, but is there not a toned-down version of IIS/ASP.NET a
developer can use on XP Home?

I just bought a new computer to do some ASP.NET development, but ran across
http://www.asp.net/download-1.1.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1 which seems to
indicate I'm out of luck unless I upgrade my OS. :-( I'm hoping I'm
misunderstanding something.

Nate

Kevin Spencer

Web Matrix also comes with a web server that can be installed on Windows XP
Home.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big Things are made up of
Lots of Little Things.

Tim T

you can do a workaround and get IIS 5 running on winXP Home if you have
access to a win2k CD (professional, server, or advanced server) in order to
get the iis installer files.
read how here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3c3c9b9d.518663173@news

I have done this and it worked fine for me

here is a copy and paste from the page at the above link:

General HOWTO for running IIS in Windows XP Home Edition.

by Richard Sandoz - Certified Java Programmer

(1) locate and edit the file C:\WINDOWS\INF\SYSOC.INF

(2) locate a section called [Components]

(3) find a line like this:
iis=iis.dll,OcEntry,iis.inf,hide,7

(4) change it to this (the iis cab in the i386 xp home folder looks to
be nothing)
iis=iis2.dll,OcEntry,iis2.inf,,7

(some sort of ms caching thing keeps sticking back iis.dll when I try
to nuke it. quickly renaming and making hidden dir called iis.dll
seems to thwart, but not worth it, so iis2.dll is good enough)

(5) I grabbed the iis.dl_ and iis.in_ from win2k advanced server cd.

I would guess similar techniques would work from W98, FP, etc.
Use "EXPAND IIS.DL_ IIS2.DLL" from a command prompt
Same for IIS2.INF, place IIS2.INF in C:\WINDOWS\INF and IIS2.DLL in
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SETUP

(6) Now when I did "add windows programs" from the control panel's add
new programs,

I had IIS options and I could even check em off. yippee - could not
check em off from my xppro cd :(((

I just went with the defaulted ones though (all i needed was iis web
server)

(7) It will prompt you for files. Get em from MS XP Home CDs, Adv
Server CDs, C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\INETSRV, C:\WINDOWS\I386, etc. (It will
tell you the file it needs, you just need to have a searcher going,
probably the CDs will have all you need)

(8) You can get to your IIS from Control Panel's Administrative
Programs.
I stuck in an index.html file and reconfigure IIS to work like this.
No go :(((
I right clicked on my inetpub folder and did something with shared
folders. No go :(((
I looked at the event viewer and saw the error of my ways.
Go to IIS and goto Directory Security tab and click Edit button and
Browse for the user setup on my laptop.

(9) Yippee, hello world from http://localhost

I won't support this solution unless paid to. I am an out of work
developer looking for work.

I bought a Toshiba 5005 laptop which came with XP home.
I then bought Win XP Professional.
I have bunches of CDs from when I was a MSDN subscriber.
From a general search on the internet I found contradictions.

Microsoft says you need professional XP to do IIS period.
q310090 was yanked from their site which had the "workaround" for
this.

When I tried to setup XP upgrade to pro, my laptop rebooted and hung
on an xp logo with an animated graphic.
I have verified this to be the case with others as well. Upgrading to
xp pro isn't an option for this laptop.