    I have a few servers running some apps on .net 1.1. I need to install 2.0 on
    them to run some new websites. Will installing 2.0 break my 1.1 apps?

    TIA!

    Guest, Jan 17, 2006

  2. They can both run side by side. I believe in IIS 6.0, you can configure this
    per application in the new ASP.NET tab you'll see when you go into
    properties of an application in IIS. On IIS 5.0, I think you need to switch
    back and forth between the two.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/ar..._Install_and_Run_ASP_Net_20_Side_by_Side.aspx
    --
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    Karl Seguin [MVP], Jan 17, 2006

  3. Hi Param,

    As Karl has mentioned, ASP.NET 1.x and 2.0 can be deployed on the same
    server side by side.... On server box with IIS6, we can configure
    different application to running in different application pool , and even
    creating multiple websites (if server version OS) and configure asp.net
    applications of different versions hosted in different IIS site....

    Also, hosting asp.net 1.x and 2.0 apps in separate sites are better to
    manage since sometimes they'll conflict ... e.g when a parent web
    application (maybe site root) is configured as ASP.NET 2.0 and has a
    web.config (with some 2.0 specific confgure elements...), if there is
    another sub asp.net 1.x web application deployed under that 2.0 app's sub
    application virtual directory, it will throw parse error when starting
    since sub asp.net app's web.config will inherts config info from parent
    virtual dir(or site root)'s web.config file.... Thus, asp.net 1.x app can
    not parse 2.0 specific configure elements(like connectionstrings....)

    http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/archive/2005/11/07/HOWTO_Install_and_Run_AS
    P_Net_20_Side_by_Side.aspx

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng