installing .net 2.0

Guest

Hi all,

I have a few servers running some apps on .net 1.1. I need to install 2.0 on
them to run some new websites. Will installing 2.0 break my 1.1 apps?

TIA!

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Param,

As Karl has mentioned, ASP.NET 1.x and 2.0 can be deployed on the same
server side by side.... On server box with IIS6, we can configure
different application to running in different application pool , and even
creating multiple websites (if server version OS) and configure asp.net
applications of different versions hosted in different IIS site....

Also, hosting asp.net 1.x and 2.0 apps in separate sites are better to
manage since sometimes they'll conflict ... e.g when a parent web
application (maybe site root) is configured as ASP.NET 2.0 and has a
web.config (with some 2.0 specific confgure elements...), if there is
another sub asp.net 1.x web application deployed under that 2.0 app's sub
application virtual directory, it will throw parse error when starting
since sub asp.net app's web.config will inherts config info from parent
virtual dir(or site root)'s web.config file.... Thus, asp.net 1.x app can
not parse 2.0 specific configure elements(like connectionstrings....)

http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/archive/2005/11/07/HOWTO_Install_and_Run_AS
P_Net_20_Side_by_Side.aspx

Thanks,

Steven Cheng