Interview with Stroustrup, Leaked.

Discussion in 'C++' started by Russell Wood, May 24, 2006.

  1. Russell Wood

    Russell Wood Guest

    Russell Wood, May 24, 2006

  2. Russell Wood

    Luke Meyers Guest

    God, this again? You fucking moron.

    *plonk*

    Luke
    Luke Meyers, May 24, 2006

  3. Russell Wood

    Russell Wood Guest

    On 2006-05-24, Luke Meyers <> wrote:
    > God, this again? You fucking moron.
    >
    > *plonk*
    >
    > Luke

    Before you get on you high-horse: I know it's a joke, moron.

    - Russell
    Russell Wood, May 24, 2006
  4. Russell Wood

    Luke Meyers Guest

    Russell Wood wrote:
    > On 2006-05-24, Luke Meyers <> wrote:
    > > God, this again? You fucking moron.
    > >
    > > *plonk*
    > >
    > > Luke
    > >

    > Before you get on you high-horse: I know it's a joke, moron.
    >
    > - Russell

    Yes, and the "fucking moron" part comes from posting it anyway -- it's
    called trolling, and that's what plonking is for. We're done now.

    Luke
    Luke Meyers, May 24, 2006
  5. Russell Wood

    Russell Wood Guest

    On 2006-05-24, Luke Meyers <> wrote:
    > Russell Wood wrote:
    >> On 2006-05-24, Luke Meyers <> wrote:
    >> > God, this again? You fucking moron.
    >> >
    >> > *plonk*
    >> >
    >> > Luke
    >> >

    >> Before you get on you high-horse: I know it's a joke, moron.
    >>
    >> - Russell

    > Yes, and the "fucking moron" part comes from posting it anyway -- it's
    > called trolling, and that's what plonking is for. We're done now.
    >
    > Luke

    Geez, and here I thought Trolling was when one attempted to start stupid
    arguments. Hmm, wouldn't that make you a troll?

    Fucking. Moron.
    Russell Wood, May 24, 2006
  6. Russell Wood

    Phlip Guest

    Russell Wood wrote:

    > http://members.safe-t.net/jwalker/programming/interview.html
    >
    > Great read...

    Hi Russell. Welcome to the happiest place on Earth.

    Always prep a post with Google. Always always, no matter what the topic. You
    would have noticed that old chestnut gets posted here quarterly - by someone
    who discovers it, thinks it's new, and comes running here to share it.

    This goes back to the primordial FAQ for all of USENET's serious groups.
    Don't post new news, because you are probably posting to people in a
    position to already know it, who consider it old news.

    Sorry about the netiquette here, though. Some folks indeed have no excuse.

    --
    Phlip
    Phlip, May 24, 2006
  7. Luke Meyers <> wrote:

    > God, this again? You fucking moron.

    It isn't particularly wise to cast aspersions in a post where you have
    fallen victim to the Google followup trap.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, May 25, 2006
  8. Russell Wood

    Luke Meyers Guest

    Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:
    > Luke Meyers <> wrote:
    > > God, this again? You fucking moron.

    > It isn't particularly wise to cast aspersions in a post where you have
    > fallen victim to the Google followup trap.

    I'm afraid I don't know what the Google followup trap is -- would you
    indulge my ignorance on this point?

    Luke
    Luke Meyers, May 25, 2006
  9. Russell Wood

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Luke Meyers wrote:
    > Russell Wood wrote:
    > > On 2006-05-24, Luke Meyers <> wrote:
    > > > God, this again? You fucking moron.
    > > >
    > > > *plonk*
    > > >
    > > > Luke
    > > >

    > > Before you get on you high-horse: I know it's a joke, moron.
    > >
    > > - Russell

    > Yes, and the "fucking moron" part comes from posting it anyway -- it's
    > called trolling, and that's what plonking is for. We're done now.

    Uhhh..."plonking" is putting someone in your killfile publically. It
    looks pretty stupid to then continue replying to them...
    Noah Roberts, May 25, 2006
  10. Luke Meyers wrote:

    > I'm afraid I don't know what the Google followup trap is -- would you
    > indulge my ignorance on this point?

    If you use the "Reply" link at the bottom of a post in Google, no
    context will be included with the followup. You did include context in
    your subsequent posts, so I assume it was simply an oversight.
    C. Benson Manica, May 25, 2006
  11. Russell Wood

    Default User Guest

    Noah Roberts wrote:

    > Luke Meyers wrote:

    > > Yes, and the "fucking moron" part comes from posting it anyway --
    > > it's called trolling, and that's what plonking is for. We're done
    > > now.

    > Uhhh..."plonking" is putting someone in your killfile publically. It
    > looks pretty stupid to then continue replying to them...

    Well, Luke is posting from Google Groups, so any plonking would have to
    be more of a mental thing. Google doesn't have any filtering capability.

    Brian
    Default User, May 25, 2006
  12. Russell Wood

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Default User wrote:
    > Noah Roberts wrote:
    >

    > > Luke Meyers wrote:

    > > > Yes, and the "fucking moron" part comes from posting it anyway --
    > > > it's called trolling, and that's what plonking is for. We're done
    > > > now.

    > > Uhhh..."plonking" is putting someone in your killfile publically. It
    > > looks pretty stupid to then continue replying to them...

    > Well, Luke is posting from Google Groups, so any plonking would have to
    > be more of a mental thing. Google doesn't have any filtering capability.

    Heh...then he shouldn't go "*plonk*" so loudly! I have the misfortune
    of being in the same position...I can't plonk....so I don't. I prefer
    to make myself look like a dumbass in other ways.
    Noah Roberts, May 25, 2006
  13. Russell Wood

    Luke Meyers Guest

    C. Benson Manica wrote:
    > Luke Meyers wrote:
    >
    > > I'm afraid I don't know what the Google followup trap is -- would you
    > > indulge my ignorance on this point?

    > If you use the "Reply" link at the bottom of a post in Google, no
    > context will be included with the followup. You did include context in
    > your subsequent posts, so I assume it was simply an oversight.

    Ah, *that's* what you meant -- I thought you were referring to some
    mischief involving headers and followup-to sending posts to groups not
    intended or something.

    It's my usual practice, as here, to quote properly, and I'm aware of
    how to do it within Google Groups. I don't recall now whether in this
    case I made an oversight, or intentionally didn't quote because I
    didn't want to include the link and risk wasting someone else's time
    clicking on it. I guess I could have just snipped the link and quoted
    the rest, but really the topic itself was enough context to make my
    meaning clear. This is not a case where I really care about someone
    looking back years later and failing to understand my meaning because I
    didn't quote. I'm as enthusiastic as anyone about proper quoting, but
    not dogmatic about it, and this is a reasonable exception.

    Luke
    Luke Meyers, May 25, 2006
  14. Russell Wood

    Noah Roberts wrote:

    > Default User wrote:

    > > Well, Luke is posting from Google Groups, so any plonking would
    > > have to be more of a mental thing. Google doesn't have any
    > > filtering capability.

    > Heh...then he shouldn't go "*plonk*" so loudly! I have the misfortune
    > of being in the same position...I can't plonk....so I don't. I prefer
    > to make myself look like a dumbass in other ways.

    That's the wonderful thing about the human condition, there will always
    be ways of making yourself look like a dumbass.

    Brian