Interview with Stroustrup, Leaked.

Luke Meyers

Russell said:
Before you get on you high-horse: I know it's a joke, moron.

- Russell

Yes, and the "fucking moron" part comes from posting it anyway -- it's
called trolling, and that's what plonking is for. We're done now.

Luke

Russell Wood

Yes, and the "fucking moron" part comes from posting it anyway -- it's
called trolling, and that's what plonking is for. We're done now.

Luke

Geez, and here I thought Trolling was when one attempted to start stupid
arguments. Hmm, wouldn't that make you a troll?

Fucking. Moron.

Phlip

Russell said:

Hi Russell. Welcome to the happiest place on Earth.

Always prep a post with Google. Always always, no matter what the topic. You
would have noticed that old chestnut gets posted here quarterly - by someone
who discovers it, thinks it's new, and comes running here to share it.

This goes back to the primordial FAQ for all of USENET's serious groups.
Don't post new news, because you are probably posting to people in a
position to already know it, who consider it old news.

Sorry about the netiquette here, though. Some folks indeed have no excuse.

Christopher Benson-Manica

Luke Meyers said:
God, this again? You fucking moron.

It isn't particularly wise to cast aspersions in a post where you have
fallen victim to the Google followup trap.

Luke Meyers

Christopher said:
It isn't particularly wise to cast aspersions in a post where you have
fallen victim to the Google followup trap.

I'm afraid I don't know what the Google followup trap is -- would you
indulge my ignorance on this point?

Luke

Noah Roberts

Luke said:
Yes, and the "fucking moron" part comes from posting it anyway -- it's
called trolling, and that's what plonking is for. We're done now.

Uhhh..."plonking" is putting someone in your killfile publically. It
looks pretty stupid to then continue replying to them...

C. Benson Manica

Luke said:
I'm afraid I don't know what the Google followup trap is -- would you
indulge my ignorance on this point?

If you use the "Reply" link at the bottom of a post in Google, no
context will be included with the followup. You did include context in
your subsequent posts, so I assume it was simply an oversight.

Default User

Noah said:
Luke Meyers wrote:

Uhhh..."plonking" is putting someone in your killfile publically. It
looks pretty stupid to then continue replying to them...

Well, Luke is posting from Google Groups, so any plonking would have to
be more of a mental thing. Google doesn't have any filtering capability.

Brian

Noah Roberts

Default said:
Well, Luke is posting from Google Groups, so any plonking would have to
be more of a mental thing. Google doesn't have any filtering capability.

Heh...then he shouldn't go "*plonk*" so loudly! I have the misfortune
of being in the same position...I can't plonk....so I don't. I prefer
to make myself look like a dumbass in other ways.

Luke Meyers

C. Benson Manica said:
If you use the "Reply" link at the bottom of a post in Google, no
context will be included with the followup. You did include context in
your subsequent posts, so I assume it was simply an oversight.

Ah, *that's* what you meant -- I thought you were referring to some
mischief involving headers and followup-to sending posts to groups not
intended or something.

It's my usual practice, as here, to quote properly, and I'm aware of
how to do it within Google Groups. I don't recall now whether in this
case I made an oversight, or intentionally didn't quote because I
didn't want to include the link and risk wasting someone else's time
clicking on it. I guess I could have just snipped the link and quoted
the rest, but really the topic itself was enough context to make my
meaning clear. This is not a case where I really care about someone
looking back years later and failing to understand my meaning because I
didn't quote. I'm as enthusiastic as anyone about proper quoting, but
not dogmatic about it, and this is a reasonable exception.

Luke

Noah said:
Default User wrote:

Heh...then he shouldn't go "*plonk*" so loudly! I have the misfortune
of being in the same position...I can't plonk....so I don't. I prefer
to make myself look like a dumbass in other ways.

That's the wonderful thing about the human condition, there will always
be ways of making yourself look like a dumbass.

Brian