    to use some code to correct it but I can't tell which tag is responsible
    for the display.

    Andrew Poulos

    Andrew Poulos, Aug 7, 2006

  2. Andrew Poulos

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Andrew Poulos wrote:
    > With "normal" SWF HTML there's an EMBED tag nested within an OBJECT tag.
    > How can I check which tag is actually displaying the SWF? I'm using CSS
    > on them and the style on the OBJECT affects the EMBED tag so I'm going
    > to use some code to correct it but I can't tell which tag is responsible
    > for the display.

    If you refer to the usual object-embed structure, that by the way is
    invalid html because of the embed, the outer container is an ActiveX
    object. This is easy to spot because of the very long special ActiveX
    id, that is different for flash, WMP, Real etc. Usually ActiveX works
    only for IE browsers and close relatives, although recent Opera
    browsers seem to use some trick to play a WMP ActiveX only object even
    though they are unlikely support ActiveX. However there are special
    ActiveX plugins for Mozilla family browsers for a few formats such as
    WMP, but few likely have these installed. If the ActiveX object is not
    supported by the browser, then most browsers will take the invalid
    embed path written within the ActiveX object, but it usually works,
    because most browsers have not yet removed support for the invalid
    embed tag.

    If you are not sure what path is being taken, just remove the embed tag
    and everything else following to and including the close embed tag. If
    the page then works, you are supporting the ActiveX object. If the page
    does not work, the viewing browser will not support the ActiveX object.
    Some browsers will support both the ActiveX object and an embed path.
    In this case, the ActiveX path is used when the embed path is within
    the ActiveX object path.

    Of course, even for flash, it is possible to avoid using embed by using
    a special ordinary object, but it is a bit more complicated than for
    the case of WMP audio or video.

    cwdjrxyz, Aug 7, 2006