Is there a C++ or C certificate?

Mike Wahler

Leo said:
He asked me the mechanisms of "go to" and others. I need to answer his
questions at assembly language level.

Note that while this knowledge might indeed be
needed for that job, that question is not about
the C++ language.
For some reasons, when I was studying CS in school, I missed a course
teaching how to write a compiler. So I have never done it. (Without that
course, my fundamental understanding of programming seems shaky.)
Otherwise, I would be able to handle most of the interviewer's questions
with confidence.

Could anybody recommend me ways to catch up?
Books.

Which book to use?

Dragon Book.

-Mike

Roman Werpachowski

doors_0612 napisal(a):
Hello,
Pls guys,don't recommend someone to start learning C++ using
Strouustrop's book.Third edition, definitely is much more kinder than
the 2nd one, still ;-)
Person should rather start with either Stanley Lippman or if u want
loads of examples Bruce Eckel's TIC++.
I am 100% sure that 99.99% of the people who recommend Stroustrop to
beginners is just trying to show off.Most of them would have started
with something else and then graduated to Stroustroup. I remember
reading in one i/w given to a publication, BS himself recommends
Lippman for C++ beginners.

So I am not following Stroustrup's advice. I'm a beginner (those who
answered my questiongs on this NG should know) and I've recently bought
myself Stroustrup's book and read it in spare time. It's fun and -- I'm
now in the third chapter -- quite easy to read. I actually feel safer
with the book which I know will not try to hide some details from me
for the sake of "making it easy". I admit I am in a comfortable
position of not having to learn C++ in some definite time frame (for a
degree, or whatever) as I do it in the "background" of my daily job,
but at the same time, if I were to start with some other book (and I
tried reading "Thinking in C++" on the Net, honestly!) I would know I
will have to read Stroustrup's book some time anyway, so why not do it
at once? Instead of reading other people's examples (BTW, Stroustrup's
book also has lots of examples), I generate my own by coding my Little
Pet Project ;-) and check in the book if I do things right.

This group's FAQ is also great and I recommend it wholeheartedly, it
cleared up a lot of things in my head about C++.