Is there an XML editor for Eclipse?

Ramon F Herrera

I have been playing with XML files for the first time lately. The IDEs
that handle those files better are:

- Microsoft Visual Studio (great job, specially the "View Data Grid")
- NetBeans (nice, but don't try to open a file too big)

I wonder about Eclipse support for XML files. None of the regular
editors seems to be XML specific. The closest one is an HTML editor.

-Ramon

softwindow

I have been playing with XML files for the first time lately. The IDEs
that handle those files better are:

- Microsoft Visual Studio (great job, specially the "View Data Grid")
- NetBeans (nice, but don't try to open a file too big)

I wonder about Eclipse support for XML files. None of the regular
editors seems to be XML specific. The closest one is an HTML editor.

-Ramon

so much! you can use myeclispse which have the xml editor!

Andrew Thompson

Ramon F Herrera wrote:11
I have been playing with XML files for the first time lately. The IDEs
that handle those files better are:

Handle? Validation beats 'handling' anyday.
- Microsoft Visual Studio (great job, specially the "View Data Grid")

Does it offer a button to 'validate' the document?

(That is not any specific criticism of VS, if not.
AFAIU - Netbeans/Eclipse only offer validation
via. - Ant)
- NetBeans (nice, but don't try to open a file too big)

I am not too impressed with Netbeans 'handling' of
JNLP files (yes, it is XML). It will happily insert a
DocType that refers to a non existant DTD. How
dumb is that?

Hopefuly Eclipse can raise the standard.

<explanation>With XML becoming so inherent to
some forms of data transfer, I would expect a good
level of support for editing and *validating* XML from
within an IDE - but have so far not seen it.</explanation>

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/

Hendrik Maryns

Ramon F Herrera schreef:
I have been playing with XML files for the first time lately. The IDEs
that handle those files better are:

- Microsoft Visual Studio (great job, specially the "View Data Grid")
- NetBeans (nice, but don't try to open a file too big)

I wonder about Eclipse support for XML files. None of the regular
editors seems to be XML specific. The closest one is an HTML editor.

GIYF: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-ecxml/

I’d expect there to be better support though. Note that the article is
‘very’ old. There definitely is something like document validation in
Eclipse 3.3.

I’ve used XMLBuddy a while, it is nice.

http://www.cafeaulait.org/slides/eclipseworld2005/xmlediting/XML_Editing_With_Eclipse.html
seems nice as well, but also dated.

H.
--
Hendrik Maryns
==================

jkohen

Have you actually tried to search the web for this information?
Searching on Google for "xml editor Eclipse" yields lots of pertinent
results.

Moreover, the webtools project (http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/),
which is an official Eclipse project, contains an XML editor that
works pretty decently. It doesn't seem to have lots of advanced
features, but it has content completion and validation, among other
niceties.

RedGrittyBrick

Ramon said:
I have been playing with XML files for the first time lately. The IDEs
that handle those files better are:

- Microsoft Visual Studio (great job, specially the "View Data Grid")
- NetBeans (nice, but don't try to open a file too big)

I wonder about Eclipse support for XML files. None of the regular
editors seems to be XML specific. The closest one is an HTML editor.

The Eclipse Web Tools Platform is a packaging of Eclipse that includes
XML editors and the ability to validate XML.

http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/

http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/community/tutorials/XMLValidation/XMLValidationTutorial.html

Ramon F Herrera

Have you actually tried to search the web for this information?

Of course I have. Didn't you read my post? :)
Searching on Google for "xml editor Eclipse" yields lots of pertinent
results.

You like Google search, I like Usenet search.

Some people interact better with machines, I interact better with
humans.

Plus this type of question gets recorded in Google's disks and will
get used by future searchers. (Hello, searchers! How is the future
like? Can you give me the lotto numbers? Perhaps the horseys?)

-Ramon

Ramon F Herrera

Ramon F Herrera wrote:11
Does it offer a button to 'validate' the document?

I bet you are comparing the 3 extra buttons added by NB6 when an XML
file is opened. It's handy, but Eclipse's approach of having dozens of
format-specific editors is superior. It scales up (or down).
Handle? Validation beats 'handling' anyday.

I was pleasantly surprised when I bumped into this feature of Visual
Studio. You open an XML file, right click on it and select "View Data
Grid". A bunch of spreadsheets are generated in a separate view.

-Ramon

Thomas Kellerer

Ramon F Herrera, 18.12.2007 15:41:
I bet you are comparing the 3 extra buttons added by NB6 when an XML
file is opened. It's handy, but Eclipse's approach of having dozens of
format-specific editors is superior. It scales up (or down).

NB has format specific editors as well.
Just open a XSD file or the web.xml and you'll know what I mean.

Thomas

jkohen

Of course I have. Didn't you read my post? :)

You like Google search, I like Usenet search.

Some people interact better with machines, I interact better with
humans.

I'm not well versed in Usenet netiquette, but where I usually take
part, it's customary to do some research on your own before asking
others for their input. Otherwise it's called "do my homework."

For what is worth, and to add some content to this post, even the
official "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers" download comes with the XML
editor I mentioned. You really didn't need to go out of your way to
try it.

Lew

I'm not well versed in Usenet netiquette, but where I usually take
part, it's customary to do some research on your own before asking
others for their input. Otherwise it's called "do my homework."

On the contrary, this isn't a Usenet discussion group, this is an
all-volunteer help desk, and querents have no responsibility whatsoever except
to demand answers. The rest of us must jump to their finger-snap, and do all
that Googling for them.

Ramon F Herrera

Just wondering: what are you doing in IT then? Have you
considered a career in HR?

I use machines to interact with people. I write software that is a
pleasure to use. I am founder of newsgroups that get people together.

I think that we need more guys like Jobs, not so many like Wozniak.

-Ramon

Ramon F Herrera

Ramon F Herrera, 18.12.2007 15:46:

What do you mean with that?

Thomas

What I mean is that I prefer the Eclipse approach where everything is
a plugin. You get the editors that you need and only the editors that
you need. You can say "Open with..." and then select one of about 2
dozen editors.

I just paid 400 clams for an Eclipse editor that has GUI building
features. Some *.java files have GUI elements and some don't. After a
while Eclipse knows which files are to be opened by the regular editor
and which files by the "Designer".

-Ramon

P. Lepin

Ramon said:
I use machines to interact with people.

I see.
I write software that is a pleasure to use.

By "interacting with people"? Correction: "I write software" is an
inappropriate turn of phrase if that is the case. "I get others to write
software for me" would be closer ro truth.
I am founder of newsgroups that get people together.

I think that we need more guys like Jobs, not so many like Wozniak.

You're doing well. That *did* sound Jobsey. And that was precisely my point,
sort for, - perhaps you should concentrate on delivering flowery speeches
in front of clueless audiences instead of developing software solutions, if
that's where your talents lie?

Oh. And since we're sharing opinions, I think we need more guys capable of
trivial web searches. There doesn't seem to be any lack of guys with
Visions to me, but who's going to bring those Visions to life if
problem-solving is such a rare skill even on the most elementary level?

"Hey Jeff! I have a Vision... any idea what to do with it?" - "Er...
Damfino! Perhaps we should Interact?" - "A'ight, how's Jenny?" - "Thanks,
she's doing great, how's your family?" - "Oh, fine, fine... Say, any ideas
about that Vision of mine?" - "Nope."

Andrew Thompson

I bet you are comparing the 3 extra buttons added by NB6 when an XML
file is opened. ...

You'd be wrong. I don't run NB, and do not know
of the 'three buttons' to which you refer. I was
simply commenting on the JNLP files that are
*produced* by NB, of which, I've validated and
corrected many.

Ramon F Herrera

You'd be wrong. I don't run NB, and do not know
of the 'three buttons' to which you refer. I was
simply commenting on the JNLP files that are
*produced* by NB, of which, I've validated and
corrected many.

I stand corrected, Andrew. After my posting I discovered the XML
capabilities of Eclipse (I was making comparisons from my computer,
the one which didn't have the XML editor plugin) and they are pretty
good.

The bottom line of my evaluation is that we Java developers should
envy only one thing that Microsoft provides to VS developers: the
conversion from XML to grid. I hate to admit it, but it is cool and
they beat our collective rear ends with that feature.

Additionally, Excel can open XML files, while OpenOffice's scalc
cannot. :-(

-Ramon