Visual Editor is *frustrating*

timasmith

Ok, so Eclipse is free, I get it - you get what you pay for. I love
Eclipse but I am getting a little frustrated with Visual Editor - all
too often with little changes my 'Visual' turns from a laid out page
into a useless list of icons...ugh...

Whats worse is backing up the source files is pointless - restoring the
source code does not restore my nice view. And that is the problem.

Ok so it is asking VE too much to maintain my pretty layout based upon
on source alone - so I have only one question.

How do I save my project (workspace, harddrive whatever) so that I can
restore to a point in time - what files other than the source java do I
need to roll back to?

thanks

Tim

Raymond Cruz

I only work on one somewhat small project so I don't know if my answer
applies generally. I don't save anything except the source files. You can
rebuild the needed project files from the File->New->Project menu.

As far as VE is concerned, I think that if you rigorously stick to the
guidelines of what VE can parse, you won't lose visual editing capability.
Unfortunately those rules seem to me to be very restrictive and not
conducive in many cases to either efficiency or readability.

BTW I think you'll get better Eclipse help from the newsgroups at the
news.eclipse.org server.

RC

IchBin

Raymond said:
I only work on one somewhat small project so I don't know if my answer
applies generally. I don't save anything except the source files. You can
rebuild the needed project files from the File->New->Project menu.

As far as VE is concerned, I think that if you rigorously stick to the
guidelines of what VE can parse, you won't lose visual editing capability.
Unfortunately those rules seem to me to be very restrictive and not
conducive in many cases to either efficiency or readability.

BTW I think you'll get better Eclipse help from the newsgroups at the
news.eclipse.org server.

Your right.. news.eclipse.org the eclipse.tools.ve group. There are
other free GUI builders for Eclipse. Say..

free for NON-COMMERCIAL
http://cloudgarden.com/jigloo/

Eclipse SWT Designer Plugin http://sourceforge.net/projects/eclipsedesigner
http://eclipsedesigner.sourceforge.net/

Google Eclipse Swing GUI designer

Swing Designer
--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Malte

I find that with most products the visual editor if fine for a first
shot at the layout. After that, edit source code directly.

hilz

Malte said:
I find that with most products the visual editor if fine for a first
shot at the layout. After that, edit source code directly.

Or Try NetBeans... specifically the Matisse visual designer in NetBeans
5.0 beta 2. The official release is expected in Jan. Matisse is built
into NetBeans 5.0 so there's no need to install a separate plugin.

Try it.. it is sweeeeet!

It uses a new layout manager called GroupLayout, which is not included
in the JDK, but is included with NetBeans, so when you distribute your
app, you need to include a jar file with your app (there is info about
how to do htat in the help).

The GroupLayout is expected to make it into the JDK in the future (maybe
version 7 )

good luck.