J2ME Clie TJ37

pepperMonkey

Hi,
this is my first foray into the J2ME world so please be patient.
I own a Clie TJ37 (Palm OS 5.2) and was wondering what J2ME
implementations were available?
I know of only MIDP4Palm which seems fairly old (Palm OS 3.5+). Is
there any newer implementations? There is the Websphere Micro Edition
but that seems to only support Palm Pilots and not Clies.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rhino

pepperMonkey said:
Hi,
this is my first foray into the J2ME world so please be patient.
I own a Clie TJ37 (Palm OS 5.2) and was wondering what J2ME
implementations were available?
I know of only MIDP4Palm which seems fairly old (Palm OS 3.5+). Is
there any newer implementations? There is the Websphere Micro Edition
but that seems to only support Palm Pilots and not Clies.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm nearly as new to J2ME as you are - less than 2 weeks - but I'm using
MIDP-2.0 which works nicely on my Palm Tungsten E which is running PalmOS
5.2.1. I don't know for certain if it will run on Clies but I think it
should since, as I understand it, the OS is what's important, not the fact
that the device is Palm or Sony.

My main development tools for J2ME are:
- the Sun WTK (Wireless Toolkit) 2.2 (Beta 2) which I got from the Sun site
- the EclipseME plugin 0.60 which I got from SourceForge (I'm also running
Eclipse 3.0.1 as the framework in which I use the plugin ;-)
- the JARTOPRC utility which converts the Jar file produced by EclipseME and
the WTK to a PRC file so that I can install it on my Palm. (I don't have a
cell or Bluetooth so I don't have any way to install apps except via Hotsync
so I need to convert my jars to prc files.) This utility was obtained from
the Websphere toolkit that I got at Palm if I'm remembering correctly.

These tools are working together well for me, except for one problem and I
would recommend them to anyone who is trying to develop Java code for
handheld devices.

[The problem I'm having is that I can't make the JARTOPRC utility generate
my PRC file from the JAD and JAR files used in EclipseME; I get errors that
I can't resolve and the the EclipseME developer can't resolve either. But
I've got a satisfactory workaround: I just build the project again using WTK
and then generate the package from the build result; JARTOPRC works fine
then and I can install my application.]

I hope some of this helps ;-)

Rhino

Darryl L. Pierce

pepperMonkey said:
Hi,
this is my first foray into the J2ME world so please be patient.
I own a Clie TJ37 (Palm OS 5.2) and was wondering what J2ME
implementations were available?
I know of only MIDP4Palm which seems fairly old (Palm OS 3.5+). Is
there any newer implementations? There is the Websphere Micro Edition
but that seems to only support Palm Pilots and not Clies.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure, but you might be able to use IBM's WME on the Clie. The
MIDP4Palm implementation you mention is for the MIDP 1.0 specification.

Darryl L. Pierce

Rhino said:
I'm nearly as new to J2ME as you are - less than 2 weeks - but I'm using
MIDP-2.0 which works nicely on my Palm Tungsten E which is running PalmOS
5.2.1. I don't know for certain if it will run on Clies but I think it
should since, as I understand it, the OS is what's important, not the fact
that the device is Palm or Sony.

What you have is licensed only for Tungstens I believe.

pepperMonkey

Thanks for the reply. :)
I'll have to try it out and see what happens. As mentioned I won't be
able to get my hands on IBM's Websphere Micro Edition and consequently
JARTOPRC from it. Does anyone know if you can get JARTOPRC outside of
the websphere product?
Thanks,
Hubert

Darryl L. Pierce said:
I'm not sure, but you might be able to use IBM's WME on the Clie. The
MIDP4Palm implementation you mention is for the MIDP 1.0 specification.

I agree that that WME may work for Clie, too bad it is licensed
foronly palms. Rather not pay the large sums of $$$ for something that
may or may not work for the Clie. Oh well. As for MIDP4Palm being 1.0
spec, yup, that's the reason for the question. :)

jdthompson

Rhino said:
pepperMonkey said:
[...]

Rhino,

Perhaps you can help me along the same lines......

I am attempting for the first time to develop an app for my Tungsten E.
I have to date:

Installed current version (3.0.1) of Eclipse as the IDE
Installed EclipseME
Installed J2ME WTK 2.2

At this point I could create a jad file which ran on the default phone
emulator. However, there isn't (best of my shallow knowledge) an
emulator so I pulled down the TungstenE simulator from palm. This
requires that my .jad files be deployed as prc files. I could not find
a way to do this.

I have attempted to use ANTenna's utility but am having difficulty in
making it work.

Questions:
1. Do you have any *senior* advice (i've only been at this for 1 week
now) so I can actually start developing?

2. Where can I get the utility without going through a mega download?

Thanks!!!

PS - Have you found the lack of cohesive instruction regarding this
process frustrating?