J2ME vs. Symbian C++

vichoty

Newbie question:

Most Symbian OS phones also support J2ME. Given it is easier to program
with J2ME and the created J2ME app can run not only on Symbian, what
are the motivations to program with Symbian C++?

I assume it will be along the lines of:
- memory consumption
- features available natively by Symbian but not J2ME

Would appreciate for missing items and details.

Also, I am trying to find out the differences between MIDP 1.0 and 2.0.
Appreciate any good links.

Thanks

Daniel Dyer

Newbie question:

Most Symbian OS phones also support J2ME. Given it is easier to program
with J2ME and the created J2ME app can run not only on Symbian, what
are the motivations to program with Symbian C++?

I assume it will be along the lines of:
- memory consumption
- features available natively by Symbian but not J2ME

The second one is probably the main one. One particular feature that is
only available natively is location information (i.e. finding out where
the phone is). There is a JSR for a J2ME location API, but none of the
available handsets support it (at least they didn't a few months ago).

Dan.