Java Certification Exam Query

Andy Dingley

Not really. It was obviously intended as a topic-killer

That would be why I copied-and-pasted it from our HR policies wiki.
This is a genuine policy here!

Andy Dingley

certification is an added advantage.It will be always useful .

Anyone who tells me that they have MCSD and that they still think that
it's actually meaningful goes straight in the reject pile (I used to
teach the courses for it, so yes I have a good idea of exactly what's
involved in it).

I hope that I never interview anyone with CIW and that I would have
taken them at the paper-sort stage first.
If I interviewed someone with A+, I ought to fail myself!

Andy Dingley

who are we to dictate terms.

_We're_ the people recruiting and interviewing for the jobs.

U ask me plz for L33T jbex and you're straight in the reject pile.

Thomas Dickey

Andy Dingley said:
If I interviewed someone with A+, I ought to fail myself!

quite likely: since A+ is a certification for technicians,
and you probably don't qualify.

Daniel Pitts

Date: 6 Feb 2007 01:28:58 -0800
From: "(e-mail address removed)" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Subject: Re: Java Certification Exam Query
Hi AK,
Just one thing i want to say to you that you must look at once the
java specification tutorial before appearing in the exam.
You can get it fromhttp://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition.
Because it will tell you a lot of things that you may not be knowing.

Thanks Agarwal, Will definitely go through that.

For an example just tell the output of the following program :-
class Super {
Super() {
printThree();
}

void printThree() {
System.out.println("three");

class Test extends Super {
int three = (int)Math.PI; // That is, 3
public static void main(String[] args){
Test t = new Test();
t.printThree();
}
void printThree() { System.out.println(three); }
}

This question sure seems to be a toughie. Let me go ahead reasoning rather
than jumping to answers. The object t is calling the function prinThree().
In a normal case the subclass function function is called and the value 3
is printed. but here the object for the superclass is first created and
hence its cosntructor is called which inturn calls its own printThree()
function. So first "three" is printed first and then ater the object is
created the subclasses' function is called.

the output should be
"three"
3

correct me if I am wrong

kind regards
AK

Close..

Super's constructor calls printThree(), so this happens instead:

"new Test()" first allocates memory for Test, then calls the
constructor
Super's constructor is called first, so it calls printThree.
printThree is overridden, so it is Test.printThree that is called.
It prints the contents of the int field three, which at this point is
0;
Super's constructor is now finished, and so the Test portion of the
object is initialized.
three is set to (int)Math.PI; // 3

t.printThree will call Tests printThree, which will print the field
three (with the value of 3)

So, the output of this is:
0
3

Lew

For an example just tell the output of the following program :-
class Super {
Super() {
printThree();
}

void printThree() {
System.out.println("three");

class Test extends Super {
int three = (int)Math.PI; // That is, 3
public static void main(String[] args){
Test t = new Test();
t.printThree();
}
void printThree() { System.out.println(three); }
}
the output should be
"three"
3

correct me if I am wrong

Juwt
three

not
3

There is no way to call the "same" method twice; only one version is invoked.

- Lew

Lew

Andy said:
Most of "recruitment" is sadly about avoiding
idiots in favour of the acceptably competent, not about selecting the
very best people. For "best" I'd only trust long personal experience
of that one candidate, or similar experience of colleagues who'd
worked with them before.

If I were putting a start-up together, then I'd want the very best
people (not many of them) and I'd recruit solely by personal
recommendation of who was really good. If I'm trying to find 3 more
warm bodies for a gas-bill shop, then I'd just only recruit certified
programmers.

I would never hire someone who used "txt-speak" in their employment
application paperwork.

- Lew

Lew

AK said:
thats a valid point. its always to have something rather than npothing.
but my query was if it was really worth the effort and time. and the
unanimous answer has been YES.

Not quite unanimous. I have helped train dozens of people to get their SJCP
but never tried for it myself. It hasn't been necessary for me.

- Lew

Lew

[...]

Oops, I missed the second call. AK was right (except that the quotes won't
appear).

- Lew

Lew

For an example just tell the output of the following program :-
class Super {
Super() {
printThree();
}

void printThree() {
System.out.println("three");

class Test extends Super {
int three = (int)Math.PI; // That is, 3
public static void main(String[] args){
Test t = new Test();
t.printThree();
}
void printThree() { System.out.println(three); }
}

AK and I were both wrong. (e-mail address removed) is right.

The constructor call to the "printThree()" method goes through the child-class
method regardless. The child class "int three" member has not yet been
initialized to "3", so the call prints "0". After construction, the call to
the child-class method prints "3".

- Lew

Lew

Thomas said:
That's too bad (you'll end up with people no better than you deserve ;-)

But more to the point, Andy's policy will prevent him from ending up with
people worse than he deserves.

My suggesting did not "dictate terms".
I do agree with your point of view that one should refrain from using the SMS-CHAT lingo of i,ur,coz etc but at the same time I feel one should not force ones opinions opinions on ohters.We live in a democratic world and USENET is an example of that. And the only thing thats permanent in life is change. If the majority of the people want the language to change,adapt and improve with time; who are we to dictate terms.
kind regards

How did I "force" an "opinion" on anyone? I suggested a theory supportable by
evidence that in business communication "txt-speak" would hurt a person's
career, and offered the /helpful/ advice that use of a more formal style helps
one's professional advancement. I do not force anyone to use better English,
to agree with me, or to advance in their career. If you want to sound like an
illiterate, barely-mentating boob I will strongly support your right to do so,
but still suggest that your own self-interest lies elsewhere.

- Lew

AK

Andy,Thomas & Lew,
I completely agree with what you have to say. The only point I was trying
to make was that people have the right to commit mistakes and learn the
*hard* way.

cheers
AK

Lew

Yup!..I too missed the first one -- the child-class method being called.

I finally broke down and did what I should've done in the first place and ran
the durn thing.

- Lew

Proton Projects - Moin

I finally broke down and did what I should've done in the first place and ran
the durn thing.

- Lew

Hi Lew,

I didnt know this group is working professionally...In future, there
wont be any informal communication..

Thanks...
Moin

Lew

Proton said:
Hi Lew,

I didnt know this group is working professionally...In future, there
wont be any informal communication..

Thanks...
Moin

I do not follow. This was a thread about calling subclass methods from a
superclass constructors.

- Lew

Lew

AK said:
Andy,Thomas & Lew,
I completely agree with what you have to say. The only point I was
trying to make was that people have the right to commit mistakes and
learn the *hard* way.

I agree that people have the right to learn the hard way, but I see no reason
to require that they do so. Passing along information to make it possible to
avoid mistakes and learn the easy way is my goal.

- Lew

Chris Uppal

Lew said:
I agree that people have the right to learn the hard way, but I see no
reason to require that they do so. Passing along information to make it
possible to avoid mistakes and learn the easy way is my goal.

One (partial) definition of communication: learning from other people's
mistakes...

-- chris

Thomas Dickey

Chris Uppal said:
Lew wrote:
One (partial) definition of communication: learning from other people's
mistakes...

People generally don't learn that way - they learn by solving small problems...
(Big ones don't get solved ;-)