Java core classes - Source/API links

Andrew Thompson

<http://www.physci.org/api.jsp>
A few (thousand) handy links..

Just type in a class name to get links
directly to the 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 JavaDocs
for that class, as well as its package.
Avoid that horrific frames based main
page to the API docs!

If you are feeling brave you can even
go straight to the source code itself
(1.4.2 only).

You can also use this page to get
shorter links for usenet, vis..
<http://www.physci.org/api.jsp?class=java.lang.Object>
...53 chars, as opposed to 62 for..
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Object.html>

Hope you find it of use.

[ F'Ups set to c.l.j.programmer ]

Christophe Vanfleteren

Andrew said:
<http://www.physci.org/api.jsp>
A few (thousand) handy links..

Just type in a class name to get links
directly to the 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 JavaDocs
for that class, as well as its package.
Avoid that horrific frames based main
page to the API docs!

If you are feeling brave you can even
go straight to the source code itself
(1.4.2 only).

You can also use this page to get
shorter links for usenet, vis..
<http://www.physci.org/api.jsp?class=java.lang.Object>
..53 chars, as opposed to 62 for..
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Object.html>

Hope you find it of use.

[ F'Ups set to c.l.j.programmer ]

You might get that url shorter if you use URL rewriting. You could get
something like <http://www.physci.org/class/java.lang.Object> :)

Just map class to a servlet, and use the rest of the request as the actual
class you want in the servlet.

Sudsy

Andrew Thompson wrote:
Avoid that horrific frames based main
page to the API docs!
<snip>

Truth be told, I like the frame layout. It permits multiple levels of
query. If I know the package of interest (like java.text or java.sql)
then I can select it in the frame at the top-left and only the classes
and interfaces in that package will be displayed in the bottom-left
frame. I can always revert to "All Classes" if need be.
The anchors in the javadocs will always take me to the right place in
any case.
It's a powerful framework (excuse the pun) for navigating the class
heirarchy, obviously something certain posters haven't yet tried...;-)

Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson wrote:

<snip>

Truth be told, I like the frame layout.

Truth be told, Sudsy, so do I!

I have been slowly weened _away_ from
frames due to my production of frames
by the site-design groups.

[ There are still funky effects I can
do with frames that I cannot do with
non-frame HTML :-( ]

There are apparently some accessibility
issues, search engines find them difficult,
...frames are heading towrds deprecation.

[ And, ..most importantly for this context,
I know of no way to provide a link to
lang.java.Object jdocs that brings it up
in frames.. If you know of a way, let me
know and I'll add that link too. ]
It's a powerful framework (excuse the pun) for navigating the class
heirarchy, obviously something certain posters haven't yet tried...;-)

Yep. Agreed.

...You probably missed the post though, where
I was musing about surfing into the main
'three frame' index and it crashing my notorious
'OS component'.. ;-)

Andrew Thompson

I have been slowly weened _away_ from
frames due to my production of frames
by the site-design groups.

Is that a human language?? Try.

"I have been slowly weened _away_ from
frames due to _involvement_ _with_ the
site-design groups."

[ Yes (nods) ..that passes for a human
language, close enough to fool them anyway. ]