JBoss Authentication Mechanism Similar to Tomcat's Realms or Resin'sAuthenticators

Jonathan M. Rose

Hello All:

Does JBoss support an authentication mechanism similar to Tomcat's
Realms or Resin's Authenticators? In particular, I am looking for a way
to be passed the username and password into a class, which would then
return (perhaps a Boolean) whether that username and password were correct.

The reason I'm asking is that I would like to authenticate against an
XML file like:

<user>
<login>jonrose</login>
<password>mypass</password>
</user>

or something similar. I don't want to have to edit the web.xml file
because I would like deployment of this application to be something
like: 1) copy the WAR file to the correct location and set up the
server, 2) edit a sample configuration file (with the above
username/password section) to fit the user's needs and 3) use the
application.

Any ideas? Do I really need to mess with JAAS? If so, are there any
tutorials dealing with JAAS and JBoss?

Thank you for your time!

-Jon
--