JET error in interdev debug only (DCOM error?)

SÁRINGER Zoltán

hi,

When I open the connection to a JET database, I get 80004005 "unknown
error". I know, it's usually permission problem, but I added all users to
the db directory, and have this error only if I debug the application:
(environment: "celan" w2000prof, interdev server, all patches.)

here are the steps from the begining to produce the symptoms:

1) I create "temp" directory under wwwroot, contains "temp.asp" and the mdb
file. (TEST result in browser: successfully opens the db!)

2) right click in IIS mmc on "temp", select "Config server extensions", type
the name as "temp". (TEST result in browser: successfully opens the db!)

3) start Interdev. New project, connect to server, to "temp". Run with
debug. Type the username and password to the login window first time
(administrator, blank)
TEST result in browser: Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005) Unknown
error. But debugging at least works:), i can watch variables, etc, just JET
confused. Maybe also there are some permission problem? (I'm afraid not at
file system level, because i tried everything. Maybe something in DCOM
configuration?)

As I installed Interdev Server, maybe debugger was set correctly, but I
checked it by the article
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258929) also, and
found it OK.

waiting your helps,
Zoltan

asdf

I added IUSR_, IWAM_ to admin group, "of course", nothing happened.
The problem's source exactly the process what interdev does when setup for
debugging (creating component for the web application) Until this component
exists, the error exists too, doesnt matter interdev runs or not.

If I remove that component (in IIS, I remove the "application"), it will
work again.

Do you have some tips how to find out what are these changes?? (registry,
file settings, i heard about some Norton's "tracker" product..)

SÁRINGER Zoltán

Hello Jeff,

you are right. when I deleted and RE-CREATED the component by Interdev
(after I added all internet user to administrators), it worked.. thank you,
this had took 2 days from my life.
Zoltan

Dusan Kosaric

It's not quite good idea to put IUSR or IWAM user to administrators group,
concerning security.
80004005 error might have to do something with permissions in registry.

Dusan

Jeff Dillon

Ok "of course" I was assuming the vid debugger or specific IIS application
runs under the IWAM account, so it might be a permissions problem. I have
other ideas to offer, but will pass at this point.

Jeff

Jeff Dillon

Agreed, and why I said "as a test". It simply and quickly determines if it
is a permissions problem, you then remove the account from the admin group,
and act accordingly.