Discussion in 'ASP General' started by curly101, Jun 17, 2009.

  1. curly101

    curly101 Guest

    Our Windows Server 2003 SP2 was running fine for a long time. All of a sudden
    last week, any website that has asp pages, and an Access database gets the
    following error:

    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine
    cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another
    user, or you need permission to view its data.

    /default.asp, line 9

    Line 9: rsBio_cmd.ActiveConnection = MM_connMGW_STRING

    Now, we have checked every folder that holds the database, as well as the
    database and the permissions are all correct. What we are puzzled about is
    that every website, not just every page on a particular website, but every
    asp page that connects to an access database, globally, is getting the same
    errors.

    We've uninstalled and reinstalled asp, and checked everything we could think
    of. Any light that someone could shed on our dilema would be extremely
    helpful.
    curly101, Jun 17, 2009

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed =?Utf-8?B?Y3VybHkxMDE=?=
    <> writing in

    > Our Windows Server 2003 SP2 was running fine for a long time. All of a
    > sudden last week, any website that has asp pages, and an Access
    > database gets the following error:
    >
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
    >
    > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database
    > engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened
    > exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.
    >
    > /default.asp, line 9
    >
    > Line 9: rsBio_cmd.ActiveConnection = MM_connMGW_STRING
    >
    > Now, we have checked every folder that holds the database, as well as
    > the database and the permissions are all correct. What we are puzzled
    > about is that every website, not just every page on a particular
    > website, but every asp page that connects to an access database,
    > globally, is getting the same errors.
    >
    > We've uninstalled and reinstalled asp, and checked everything we could
    > think of. Any light that someone could shed on our dilema would be
    > extremely helpful.

    Do you have anyone accessing the file? Check processes to see if there
    might be an unauthorized user accessing the file.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 17, 2009

  3. curly101 wrote on Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:44:01 -0700:

    > Our Windows Server 2003 SP2 was running fine for a long time. All of a
    > sudden last week, any website that has asp pages, and an Access
    > database gets the following error:

    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

    > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database
    > engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened
    > exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

    > /default.asp, line 9

    > Line 9: rsBio_cmd.ActiveConnection = MM_connMGW_STRING

    > Now, we have checked every folder that holds the database, as well as
    > the database and the permissions are all correct. What we are puzzled
    > about is that every website, not just every page on a particular
    > website, but every asp page that connects to an access database,
    > globally, is getting the same errors.

    > We've uninstalled and reinstalled asp, and checked everything we could
    > think of. Any light that someone could shed on our dilema would be
    > extremely helpful.

    What to the permissions look like on the TEMP folder? The Jet driver uses
    temp files, and if the permissions don't allow creating of these files then
    this could be the cause of the problem. Given that this is affecting every
    Access database on your system this is where I'd look. You also might want
    to run the MDAC component checker in case something has been installed that
    has downgraded part of the data access layer.

    --
    Dan
    Daniel Crichton, Jun 17, 2009
  4. curly101

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Why ODBC? See http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

    > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database
    > engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened
    > exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

    This is always a permissions problem. All users of an mdb file require
    Modify permissions for the _folder containing the file_. You see, in order
    for multi-user activity to be supported, users must be able to create,
    modify _and delete_ a locking file with an extension of .ldb in the folder
    containing the .mdb file. Without the .ldb file, the database can only be
    opened exclusively.

    Identifying the user that requires permissions is usually the problem with
    ASP. If your site is using Anonymous access, then the IUSR_machinename
    account is the one that requires the folder-level permission. If Anonymous
    is disabled and you are using Integrated authentication, then the client's
    domain account is the one that requires permissions.

    As Daniel says, sometimes permissions for the Temp folder are an issue,
    especially with the ODBC driver, but this generally raises a different error
    message when incorrect. I feel pretty confident in my assertion that the
    database folder permissions are your issue.

    PS. I once saw a permissions issue caused by compacting/repairing a Jet
    database: during the course of the process, permissions for the file itself
    were removed. But you said you had checked that out.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows, Jun 17, 2009
  5. curly101

    curly101 Guest

    Thanks for all the direction.
    I've been told by everyone that it is a permissions problem, and I agree as
    well. It is finding the exact permissions/folder that is the problem.

    Looking at this after reading your replies, you might have hit it on the
    head with it being the Temp folder. Right now, the Temp folder has Full
    Control selected. Which permissions for the IUSR_machineaccount should be
    Allowed?

    Thanks!

    curly101, Jun 17, 2009
  6. curly101

    Bob Barrows Guest

    curly101 wrote:
    > Thanks for all the direction.
    > I've been told by everyone that it is a permissions problem, and I
    > agree as well. It is finding the exact permissions/folder that is the
    > problem.
    >
    > Looking at this after reading your replies, you might have hit it on
    > the head with it being the Temp folder. Right now, the Temp folder
    > has Full Control selected. Which permissions for the
    > IUSR_machineaccount should be Allowed?

    Full Control is overkill. All that is required is Modify (read/write).
    Having said that, I would expect a different error message if the Temp
    folder permissions were the culprit. I would still be leaning toward the
    folder containing the mdb file. Take a look at that folder.
    Does it contain a .ldb file? Especially when somebody is has the file
    open? If not, then permissions is definitely the problem.
    If it does contain the locking file, does the file get deleted when the
    last person accessing the file closes it? If not, then you have a
    permissions problem.

    --
    HTH,
    Bob Barrows