Latest version ready for flames

Steve Pugh

Richard said:
First, the internet wasn't even born until 1985

Yes it was. The Internet dates back to the end of the sixties.
E-mail from the early 70s; Usenet from about 1980; TCP/IP, FTP and
Telnet from the early 80s. The WWW was a late comer - HTML and HTTP
were invented in 1989.
so you couldn't be online at the age of 11 writing code in html

Not in HTML, no. But Hywel never said HTML, in fact he never said
online either, he said "However, I have been writing *my own* code
since I was 11, starting out with BASIC on a VIC-20."
By the time you started grade school, I was already programming in BASIC.
My first computer was an atari 400.

So you both started out as BASIC programmers. That's nice you
something in common (sorry Hywel).
Windows? What the hell is that?

Good question and one that many people ask every day.
Other than the inclusion of some php stuff, your site is nothing more than
standard html any kid could write.

I presume you mean Hywel's site at kibo.org?

It has content and it works. That's two huge steps beyond what you've
produced to date.
Why do you use javascript to show an image when an image tag would suffice?

Um, the function showImage() us empty and never called. I wonder what
it's doing there at all. It certainly isn't being used to display an
image.
You keep blasting away at me for no alt attributes, and you don't implement
them yourself.

Where?

Steve

Fat Sam

Richard said:
First, the internet wasn't even born until 1985 so you couldn't be online at
the age of 11 writing code in html since that wasn't even really available
yet.

He didn't say he was writing HTML code at the age of 11...Did you actually
read the words that he wrote?.....He said he was writing his own code since
the age of 11 starting out with Basic on a Vic20....No-one mentioned html
except you......
By the time you started grade school, I was already programming in BASIC.

Good for you.....The only thing that proves is that you're older than
him......
Other than the inclusion of some php stuff, your site is nothing more than
standard html any kid could write.

Welcome to the internet.....The whole fricking thing is html....PHP and ASP
simply generates html code for your browser to read......
Why do you use javascript to show an image when an image tag would suffice?
You keep blasting away at me for no alt attributes, and you don't implement
them yourself.

The difference is, his site is complete and works.....Yours has shown no
progress at all in the last month except for colour changes etc.....It still
doesn't do anything worth speaking of.....
Duende's site? Nothing fancy or special about it.

Apart from the fact that it's complete and works.....

Andy Dingley

It amazes me how often YOU bigots forget you were once a fledgeling
struggling baby.

Yes, but we learned better. You're (hilariously) impervious.

Please keep posting. You brighten a dull day.

Fat Sam

Richard said:
That is in the javascript section which will be put in an external file.

And you were such an expert even before there was an internet.
It amazes me how often YOU bigots forget you were once a fledgeling
struggling baby.
Instead of giving constructive advice, you're more willing to shoot someone
down.

Why are you getting so upset?.....
In your original post you issued the instruction "<flame on!>", and your
subject title indicated that you were ready to accept these flames.....
So why are you getting so upset now that you're receiving these
flames?......
You're the one who asked for them......

Hywel Jenkins

First, the internet wasn't even born until 1985

You're an idiot. The internet was invented by DARPA in the early/mid
60s.
so you couldn't be online at
the age of 11 writing code in html since that wasn't even really available
yet.

I didn't say anything about being online when I was 11. I said I was
writing BASIC on a VIC-20. Learn to read before you respond, please.
You may end up looking less of a prick if you do.

By the time you started grade school, I was already programming in BASIC.

You've never done *any* programming, RtS.

My first computer was an atari 400.

Released in 1979. A whole 8 months before the VIC-20.

Windows? What the hell is that?

They're things that some people have. I doubt you have them in your
padded room, though.

Other than the inclusion of some php stuff, your site is nothing more than
standard html any kid could write.

So what? You mean like the code that displays the images in the
rambles, such as this one:
http://kibo.org.uk/rambles.php?sp=10&id=85

How would do you do that? That is, take an image that is 3.1 megapixels
on the server and resize it to that at which it's displayed.

What other code would you suggest I add to make it more grown up, RtS?
Some wanky, copied, JavaScript like the crap you're struggling with? I
was writing far more advanced DHTML that you're doing now in 1998.
Fsck, an application I wrote won a Technology Innovation award in 1999.
Why do you use javascript to show an image when an image tag would suffice?

Where do I do that? The only scripting in my site is an empty function
called ShowImage. It does nothing unless the image on the right is
found on the server in its full-size version.
You keep blasting away at me for no alt attributes, and you don't implement
them yourself.

Every image on my site has an alt attribute. At most there are three
images on a page, usually just two (logo and photo).

Duende's site? Nothing fancy or special about it. Half the space is blank.

So, that's a significantly smaller amount of blank space that's inside
your head?

Links open in a new page, where with a little more work, the information
could appear all on the same page.
A sick looking dancing chicken for an opening page? Extremely childish and
amateurish.

You have the audacity to call someone amateurish? Amazing. You're so
funny, you mothertrucker.
You sir, are a classic bigot.

You have no idea what a "bigot" is, have you? I am most certainly not
intolerant of people with differing views from mine. I just don't
tolerate fools gladly. You, RtS, are a fool.

You don't know the difference between "capital" and "capitol", though?

Hywel Jenkins

So you both started out as BASIC programmers. That's nice you
something in common (sorry Hywel).

Thanks. Very. Much. Though I don't consider myself a basic programmer
anymore, having moved on to Perl, C, C++, PHP, Modula2, COBOL (it's a
programming language, honest), ...

Um, the function showImage() us empty and never called. I wonder what
it's doing there at all. It certainly isn't being used to display an
image.

Fixed now. PHP checks the existence of a fuller version of the image.
I'd lazily wrapped the condition around the line of code that shows the
image.

Andy Dingley

First, the internet wasn't even born until 1985

Now I know you're just spouting garbage, but I can't for the life of
me think what significant 'net development happened in 1985 ?

Duende

While sitting in a puddle JDS scribbled in the mud:
And how old are *you*, R, really? Either under 16 or over 70, by my
estimation.

What does over 70 have to do with being stupid?

Wÿrm

By the time you started grade school, I was already programming in BASIC.
My first computer was an atari 400.

If you would have ever REALLY done any programming (besides writing listings
made by other people, from computer magazines, manual etc.) you COULD easily
learn to code your own scripts. Atari user eh? I bet you really have no idea
what Antic is, or Player Missiles, or how about 6502 assembly? I bet only
thing you ever managed do was copy (eh, "program") examples from manual or
comp mags and even that only in BASIC :)

<snip>

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Richard ([email protected]) feverishly typed...
However, since it is cropped, I can easily lay claim to the copyright
since it is MY face.

You really have no fucking clue about how copyright works do you? You cannot
copyright your face! If you had taken the photograph, then, yes, you could
claim copyright...

Cheers,
Nige

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, (e-mail address removed) ([email protected])
feverishly typed...
Unlikely. I was born in 1970 - a few years after the birth of the
internet. However, I have been writing *my own* code since I was 11,
starting out with BASIC on a VIC-20.

Ooh! A VIC-20? You were spoilt by its colour, and its "proper" keyboard. I
started programming on a ZX81... no colour, no sound, hardly any memory, and
a sheet of cling film for a keyboard. That was programming for MEN! ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

Andy Dingley

Player Missiles,

Not as good as the hardware sprites on the Texas 9928, that's what
:cool:

I built myself an ETI Cortex around then - 16bit 9995 processor at
12MHz, which was pretty spiffy for the time.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle nice.guy.nige scribbled in the mud:
Ooh! A VIC-20? You were spoilt by its colour, and its "proper" keyboard.
I started programming on a ZX81... no colour, no sound, hardly any
memory, and a sheet of cling film for a keyboard. That was programming
for MEN! ;-)

Wasn't that also known as a Timex Sinclare or something.

Wÿrm

Not as good as the hardware sprites on the Texas 9928, that's what
:cool:

Heh, yea only 4 or so those player missiles. 9928 etc. had 32 ofthose 16x16
pixel one colored sprites, with possibility to expand them 2x if I recall
right, I think there were also hardware limit of, hmm, was it 5 or what
sprites simultaneously on same scanline?? Still, I always liked most c64
hardware sprites 8 of those only but 3 colors (+transparent) and 12x21 or 1
color 24x21 pixels. And it was very easy to "multiplex" (re-use on same
screen, only bit lower after 1st sprite ended) those sprites...

I built myself an ETI Cortex around then - 16bit 9995 processor at
12MHz, which was pretty spiffy for the time.

I can imagine 12mhz went long way :) Never managed to build anything myself,
was more of a programmer, been doing 6502/6510, z80, 680x0, x86, ARM etc
assembly stuff (besides typical pascal, c/c++, visual basic, delphi etc) :)

Richard Cornford

Wÿrm said:
If you would have ever REALLY done any programming (besides
writing listings made by other people, from computer magazines,
manual etc.) you COULD easily learn to code your own scripts. ...
<snip>

One thing that real programmers seem to pick up fairly quickly is
recognising the value of RTFM. Which would have eliminated the need to
post trivial questions on Usenet, as Richard has recently been doing in
comp.lang.javascript.

Richard.