[LAUGH] Proposal For New Ruby Mailing List Subjects

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Zed Shaw, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. Zed Shaw

    Zed Shaw Guest

    Hey,

    I've been watching some of the perma-threads on ruby-talk and I
    really think we need to establish some new mailing lists to handle
    the various constant subjects that come up. I'm sure this list is
    nowhere near complete, but here's what I thought up:

    * ruby-jobs -- We should make it even harder for people with money
    to find people with skills. I know my book collection is rivaling
    the Imelda Marcos shoe collection, so making it easier for me to buy
    more books is dangerous. Head hunters should be relegated to the
    ruby-doesnt-need-you mailing list, but don't tell them their e-mail
    is going there. They like telling their customers, "You should
    reconsider using Ruby since I can't seem to find anyone to fill your
    position."

    * ruby-whynot -- Every person has an opinion so why not just air it
    out like a stinking possum carcass? This could cover a lot of
    ground. Topics like, "Why not Python?", "Why not Ruby::Inline?",
    "Why not Nitro?", "Why not Rails Engines?" "Why not Macs?" "Why not
    Intel?" "Why not a virtual machine?" "Why not Java?" "Why not
    Sailor Moon styled bura-sera?" The potential is endless for this list.

    * ruby-sellouts -- I personally got no problem whoring myself out to
    any company that pays my speaker's fee, but some other folks might
    need a place to confess their sins. This list would have to be
    anonymous so that the posters could confess and not have their
    confessions ruin their thriving Web 2.0 Ajax Tagging Todo List
    Ferrari Payment Machines. Extra points if you can say one thing in
    your blog to pimp your goods, and then in private insult your customers.

    * ruby-rails-sheep -- No, not a place for former Java sheep to come
    and turn their brains off again, but rather a place for people to
    discuss the constant topic of table pluralization. Is it a violation
    of all laws of nature? Is it overhead for minimal benefit? Is it a
    great way to show users ER diagrams? This is the place to chat it
    all up.

    * ruby-performance-haters -- Ruby's speed is the white elephant in
    the room. We all know it's there, sitting in the room knocking the
    good china on the damn floor, but we just can't talk about it because
    if we do we'll have to actually clean up the damn thing's giant piles
    of crap. Let's blow the doors off this myth once and for all by
    creating a list solely devoted to just complaining about Ruby's speed
    without doing much. Even better, let's propose every solution
    *except* writing a new virtual machine.

    * ruby-only -- Some people can't stand any deviation from the
    approved topics. Step outside the incredibly narrow vision their
    obsessive compulsive brains have for the list and WHAM! No IRC for
    you! The ruby-only list is for them. It would only allow messages
    which are valid Ruby source with no deviation. If it isn't able to
    run in a special protected environment that has only core libraries--
    or has any comments--then it's immediately removed. Nobody wants to
    waste their time on fluff crap like making friends, building
    community, having fun, or discovering new ideas from off topic
    discussions. Nope, it's Ruby only 24/7.

    * ruby-smartass -- This list would basically just be me mouthing off
    to people who end up doing better than me and make me jealous. I'd
    write scathing reviews of their projects and insult them all since I
    don't like people anyway. I mean, I only donate my software to
    people so that I can spread bugs. Anyway, I'm smarter and sexier
    than the whole world so I need my own mailing list.

    If you haven't figured it out, this is a joke. Laugh, have a great
    weekend, and don't take things so seriously.

    Zed A. Shaw
    http://www.zedshaw.com/

    Zed Shaw, Feb 4, 2006

  2. LOL @ Zedas

    -Ezra

    Ezra Zygmuntowicz, Feb 4, 2006

  3. Zed Shaw

    Guest

    HeHe
    /me gets ready to pounce zedas on irc

    Tsume

    On Saturday 04 February 2006 10:42 am, Zed Shaw wrote:
> [...]
    > which are valid Ruby source with no deviation. If it isn't able to
    > run in a special protected environment that has only core libraries--
    > or has any comments--then it's immediately removed. Nobody wants to
    > waste their time on fluff crap like making friends, building
    > community, having fun, or discovering new ideas from off topic
    > discussions. Nope, it's Ruby only 24/7.
    >
    > * ruby-smartass -- This list would basically just be me mouthing off
    > to people who end up doing better than me and make me jealous. I'd
    > write scathing reviews of their projects and insult them all since I
    > don't like people anyway. I mean, I only donate my software to
    > people so that I can spread bugs. Anyway, I'm smarter and sexier
    > than the whole world so I need my own mailing list.
    >

    > If you haven't figured it out, this is a joke. Laugh, have a great
    > weekend, and don't take things so seriously.

    , Feb 4, 2006
  4. Zed Shaw

    James Britt Guest

    wrote:
    > HeHe
    > /me gets ready to pounce zedas on irc
    >=20
    > Tsume
    >=20

    We also need

    ruby-top-post-and-never-edit-the-quoted-material-that-follows

    :)

    --=20
    James Britt

    =93Design depends largely on constraints.=94
    =97 Charles Eames

    James Britt, Feb 4, 2006
  5. > If you haven't figured it out, this is a joke. Laugh, have a great
    > weekend, and don't take things so seriously.

    I was so disappointed when I read this last paragraph.

    The Ruby-list to discuss Sailor Moon would have been especially good.

    Now, comp.lang.ruby, just doesn't sound as topical as it used to.

    Luke Duncalfe, Feb 4, 2006
  6. 2006/2/4, Zed Shaw <>:
    > Hey,
    >
    > I've been watching some of the perma-threads on ruby-talk and I
    > really think we need to establish some new mailing lists to handle
    > the various constant subjects that come up. I'm sure this list is
    > nowhere near complete, but here's what I thought up:

    Well done, Zed! But I couldn't decide which list to be on. Could you
    please also provide an easy multiple choice test that figures out? A
    small Ruby app would be ok, too - but only with std libs! :)

    Cheers

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Feb 4, 2006
  7. I *so* want the sellouts list. One of these days, I'll get serious mental
    problems from preaching the evil of AJAX and the upcoming Browser Wars 2.0
    that I believe they'll bring, and then each day at noon... erm, I meant early
    morning! I sit down at the computer and go on and design Yet Another
    completely flaky and crufty browser-based widget toolkit with an AJAX-based
    Client-Server event loop.

    I'm also slowly running out of:

    a) paranoid suspicions about the future of AJAX, and
    b) buzzwords to tag to my code.

    Any help is appreciated.

    David Vallner

    David Vallner, Feb 6, 2006