make on TK fails on Solaris 10

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by mariakvelasco@gmail.com, Nov 8, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    We are in need of some help or suggestions. We are trying to build the
    TK modules on Solaris 10. We downloaded Tk-804.027.tar.gz from CPAN
    and extracted the compressed tarfile using gunzip and tar, then we
    created the makefile by running the command perl Makefile.PL, which
    succeeded. However, when we ran make, we get the following errors:

    cd pTk && make DEFINE=""
    cd zlib && make libz.a "CC=cc" RANLIB=":"
    `libz.a' is up to date.
    cc -c -I/usr/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/sun4-solaris-64int/Tk -Ilibpng -
    Izlib -I/usr/openwin/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -
    D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_TS_ERRNO -DVERSION=\"4.003\" -DXS_VERSION=
    \"800.025\" "-I/usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/sun4-solaris-64int/CORE" PNG.c
    PNG.xs:26: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    PNG.xs: In function `boot_Tk__PNG':
    PNG.xs:35: `IMPORT_PHOTO' undeclared (first use in this function)
    PNG.xs:35: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    PNG.xs:35: for each function it appears in.)
    *** Error code 1
    make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `PNG.o'
    Current working directory /tmp/Tk-804.027/PNG
    *** Error code 1
    The following command caused the error:
    cd PNG && make -f Makefile all LIBPERL_A="libperl.a"
    LINKTYPE="dynamic" PREFIX="" OPTIMIZE="" PASTHRU_DEFINE=""
    PASTHRU_INC=""
    make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `subdirs'

    We are using Perl version 5.8.4 on Solaris 10 and we have posted the
    same question on www.cpanforum.com but have gotten no replies. We are
    hoping someone on this might be able to help us out.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of these errors?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, please.

    Thanks!

    , Nov 8, 2007

  2. Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth :

    > We are in need of some help or suggestions. We are trying to build the
    > TK modules on Solaris 10. We downloaded Tk-804.027.tar.gz from CPAN
    > and extracted the compressed tarfile using gunzip and tar, then we
    > created the makefile by running the command perl Makefile.PL, which
    > succeeded. However, when we ran make, we get the following errors:
    >
    > cd pTk && make DEFINE=""
    > cd zlib && make libz.a "CC=cc" RANLIB=":"
    > `libz.a' is up to date.
    > cc -c -I/usr/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/sun4-solaris-64int/Tk -Ilibpng -
    > Izlib -I/usr/openwin/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -
    > D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_TS_ERRNO -DVERSION=\"4.003\" -DXS_VERSION=
    > \"800.025\" "-I/usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/sun4-solaris-64int/CORE" PNG.c
    > PNG.xs:26: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    > PNG.xs: In function `boot_Tk__PNG':
    > PNG.xs:35: `IMPORT_PHOTO' undeclared (first use in this function)

    IMPORT_PHOTO is #defined in vtab.def, which is included from tkGlue.h,
    which is included from PNG.xs. Since your cc didn't report being unable
    to include those files, I presume it was finding incorrect versions. Do
    you already have an install of Tk in
    /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/sun4-solaris-64int/Tk ? I don't really
    understand why you are getting a -I switch for that directory rather
    than for /tmp/Tk-804.027 . If you do have an older version of Tk
    installed, it might be worth removing it first.

    Otherwise, is there some switch you can give to your cc that will tell
    you where it's finding each include file (often running a file through
    cc -E, with all the other switches in the commandline above, will give
    you a preprocessed file with #line directives in) so we can see what's
    going on?

    Ben

    Ben Morrow, Nov 9, 2007