META Tags - Are they really used?

Gram

Hello,
Can anyone help shed some light on the following..
With todays browsers / search engines etc, are META tags really used? If so,
what are the best ones to use? I have spent some time on this, with regard
to search engines such as google etc. I know that some crawlers ignore the
META tag for no robots and also the robots.txt file. Im just wondering what
other developers out there think about all of this?

Regards,
Gram.

mark | r

Gram said:
Hello,
Can anyone help shed some light on the following..
With todays browsers / search engines etc, are META tags really used? If so,
what are the best ones to use? I have spent some time on this, with regard
to search engines such as google etc. I know that some crawlers ignore the
META tag for no robots and also the robots.txt file. Im just wondering what
other developers out there think about all of this?

Regards,
Gram.

youll be surprised to know that yes they do play a role, its not massive but
it does work, and on google too!

stick with description and keywords the rest are redundent unless your using
the dublin core accessability ones

mark

Toby A Inkster

mark said:
stick with description and keywords the rest are redundent unless your using
the dublin core accessability ones

Dublin Core has nothing to do with accessibility -- it is merely a
standardised way of recording metadata in (X)HTML and other formats.

mark | r

Toby A Inkster said:
Dublin Core has nothing to do with accessibility -- it is merely a
standardised way of recording metadata in (X)HTML and other formats.

my point is it is valid meta information

mark

Gram

I have a few sites which get their content from a database, the content also
have descriptions and i have used ASP to create dynamic META tags as the
page loads, is this actually doing anything do you think?