Multiple frames and scrolling?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by pelakh@yahoo.com, Apr 26, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I would like to create a document containing two frames, in a vertical
    split, as follows
    | <Prev> <Next> |
    | <Anchor 1> |
    | <some text> |
    | |
    | |
    | <Anchor 2> |
    | <some text> |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | <Anchor 3> |
    | <some text> |
    | |
    | |

    And I need to have the <Prev> and <Next> buttons scroll the bottom
    frame to show the previous/next anchor.

    Here is the tricky part - I know how to do this when placing the two
    frames into separate URLs. What I would like two do is to have it ALL
    in a single file, so I can serve it up with one request. Perhaps frames
    isn't the right mechanism, and I should be using some sort of embedded

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    , Apr 26, 2006

  2. Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, vouchsafed:

    > I would like to create a document containing two frames, in a vertical
    > split,
    > And I need to have the <Prev> and <Next> buttons scroll the bottom
    > frame to show the previous/next anchor.
    >
    > Here is the tricky part - I know how to do this when placing the two
    > frames into separate URLs. What I would like two do is to have it ALL
    > in a single file, so I can serve it up with one request. Perhaps frames
    > isn't the right mechanism, and I should be using some sort of embedded

    You'd need javascript to do that. Might want to check at
    comp.lang.javascript.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
    Neredbojias, Apr 26, 2006

  3. __/ [ Neredbojias ] on Wednesday 26 April 2006 13:10 \__

    > I would like to create a document containing two frames, in a vertical
    > split, as follows

    > | <Prev> <Next> |
    > | <Anchor 1> |
    > | <some text> |
    > | |
    > | |
    > | <Anchor 2> |
    > | <some text> |
    > | |
    > | |
    > | |
    > | <Anchor 3> |
    > | <some text> |
    > | |
    > | |

    The top part can be turned into a float (absolute position) without the use
    of server side includes, frames, or iframes. See more ideas below.

    > To further the education of mankind, vouchsafed:
    >
    >> I would like to create a document containing two frames, in a vertical
    >> split,
    >> And I need to have the <Prev> and <Next> buttons scroll the bottom
    >> frame to show the previous/next anchor.
    >>
    >> Here is the tricky part - I know how to do this when placing the two
    >> frames into separate URLs. What I would like two do is to have it ALL
    >> in a single file, so I can serve it up with one request. Perhaps frames
    >> isn't the right mechanism, and I should be using some sort of embedded

    > You'd need javascript to do that. Might want to check at
    > comp.lang.javascript.

    An old and deprecated CV of mine < http://schestowitz.com/CV/CV.htm >achieved
    something similar. Set your browser to pretend to be Internet Explorer
    (please don't ask why) and access the page.

    Now, notice the JavaScript function in the source code. It achieves staged
    scrolling to the anchors and you could probably embed the buttons in a
    float. Use CSS to ensure the buttons always hover on top and are located at
    the top

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux ¦ PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Roy Schestowitz, Apr 26, 2006
  4. Jose Guest

    > I would like to create a document containing two frames, in a vertical
    > split, as follows
    > | <Prev> <Next> |
    > | <Anchor 1> |
    > | <some text> |
    > | |
    > | |
    > | <Anchor 2> |
    > | <some text> |
    > | |
    > | |
    > | |
    > | <Anchor 3> |
    > | <some text> |
    > | |
    > | |

    > And I need to have the <Prev> and <Next> buttons scroll the bottom
    > frame to show the previous/next anchor.

    How about

    | <Anchor 1> |
    | <some text> |
    | <Prev> <Next>

    | |
    | <Anchor 2> |
    | <some text> |
    | <Prev> <Next>

    | |
    | |
    | <Anchor 3> |
    | <some text> |
    | <Prev> <Next>

    | |

    Look ma, no frames!

    Jose
    --
    The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
    Jose, Apr 26, 2006