My first run Visual Studio NET - problem

Alexander Berezhnoy

Hi all !

I want to try MS Visual Studio NET.
My system - Windows 2003 Server . IIS (WWW) is started. WWW
http://localhost in my IE working normal.
But - after trying to build new project in Visual Studio (for example, ó#
ASP Application, and other)
I see a error massage :

"Web Access Failed
The default WEb Access mode for this project is set to file share, butthe
project folder at
'http://localhost/WebApplication1' cannot be opened with the path
'E:\Interpub\wwwroot\WebApplication1'.
The error returned was:

Unable to create Web project 'WebApplication1'. The file path
'E:\Interpub\wwwroot\WebApplication1'
does not correspond to the URL 'http://localhost/WebApplication1'.
The two need to map to the same server location. HTTP Error 404 : Not Found
"

Please, help - what is it ???

Alexander

Gerry O'Brien [MVP]

It means two things.

1) your account doesn't have permission to create folders in IIS

2) If the folder has been created, go into IIS, verify the folder is there
and that is an actual web site and that it is configured to be a web
application.

When you locate the folder un IIS, right click on it and choose properties.
Verify on the General tab that there is an entry in the Application text
box. If not, click the Create button

Alexander Berezhnoy

I can creating the folder in IIS.
But the Visual Studio not creating the folder :((

What is it ??

abi

It appears that "ASPNET" user which Visual Studio uses does not have the
required permissions on your server.

This is what I had to do ...
- goto control panel and click "Administrative Services" and then select
"Computer Management"
- expand IIS and select the "default web site"
- Click properties
- select the Directory Security Tab
- The the "Edit" button under "Anonymous access ..."
- check "Anonymous access" and enter the USER NAME ie. <machine_name>\ASPNET
- check "Allow IIS to control password"

this should do the trick! Unless someone has a better suggestion ... which I
can use too!!!

hope it helps

[PS] I hope this is not your production server, just the one you use to test
your apps!!! ;-)

Gerry O'Brien [MVP]

Yep, Abi hit it on the nose.

--
Gerry O'Brien
Visual Developer .NET MVP

Alexander Berezhnoy said:
I can creating the folder in IIS.
But the Visual Studio not creating the folder :((

What is it ??

Tarundeep Singh Kalra

thanks a lot abi, i had the same problem it is working now.

--
Tarun
Tarundeep Singh Kalra

Gerry O'Brien said:
Yep, Abi hit it on the nose.

--
Gerry O'Brien
Visual Developer .NET MVP

Alexander Berezhnoy said:
I can creating the folder in IIS.
But the Visual Studio not creating the folder :((

What is it ??

"Gerry O'Brien [MVP]" <[email protected]> ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ × ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ
ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ: It means two things.

"

Please, help - what is it ???

Alexander

Alexander Berezhnoy

I have doing all as you wrote, but I don't fond check "Allow IIS to control
password". Maybe I have different version of the soft.
(Windows 2003 server, Visual Studio.Net (not 2002 or 2003).

After entering User Name ie.<machine_name>\ASPNET
in the Anonymous access dialogbox , I was asked password (with confirming)
for it name.
But - WHICH the password I must enter for this ??
And how the Visual Studio can know this password for the using?

abi said:
It appears that "ASPNET" user which Visual Studio uses does not have the
required permissions on your server.

This is what I had to do ...
- goto control panel and click "Administrative Services" and then select
"Computer Management"
- expand IIS and select the "default web site"
- Click properties
- select the Directory Security Tab
- The the "Edit" button under "Anonymous access ..."
- check "Anonymous access" and enter the USER NAME ie.
- check "Allow IIS to control password"

this should do the trick! Unless someone has a better suggestion ... which I
can use too!!!

hope it helps

[PS] I hope this is not your production server, just the one you use to test
your apps!!! ;-)

Gerry O'Brien [MVP]

There are two different procedures here.

First of all, if yo uhave Server 2003, the option to allow IIS to set the
password is no longer there.

Second, the ASPNET account is meant to be used as an accoutn for the worker
process of ASP.NET and not as the anonymous account for accessing the web
site. If you want to allow anonymous access to your site, you simply Allow
Anonymous access under the Security tab of the properties of the web site
and that is it.

--
Gerry O'Brien
Visual Developer .NET MVP