New domain name - where to register?

pecan

Hi,

I want to register a new domain name. My existing site is a .co.za one,
but I now need to register a .info one. I did a Google search, and it
came up with various sites to register. I started off in GoDaddy, but
the price changed somewhere between my first entry and the time to pay,
and there's no obvious price for subsequent renewals... this is a little
scary! lol

Is there an official place to register, that isn't a commerical site?

CM

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

pecan said:
Hi,

I want to register a new domain name. My existing site is a .co.za
one, but I now need to register a .info one. I did a Google search,
and it came up with various sites to register. I started off in
GoDaddy, but the price changed somewhere between my first entry and
the time to pay, and there's no obvious price for subsequent
renewals... this is a little scary! lol

Is there an official place to register, that isn't a commerical site?

No there isn't just one official place to register. The .info TLD is
handled by Afilias, which only accepts domain registrations through an
authorized registrar:
http://www.afilias.info/register/find/

Personally, I've never had a problem using GoDaddy, and the renewal
price is the same as the registration page, as listed on their website.

Currently, the price for .info at GoDaddy runs at $5.95 + the ICANN fee
of $.25, making a total of $6.20 per year (USD).

pecan

Kim said:
No there isn't just one official place to register. The .info TLD is
handled by Afilias, which only accepts domain registrations through an
authorized registrar:
http://www.afilias.info/register/find/

Personally, I've never had a problem using GoDaddy, and the renewal
price is the same as the registration page, as listed on their website.

Currently, the price for .info at GoDaddy runs at $5.95 + the ICANN fee
of $.25, making a total of $6.20 per year (USD).

Thanks... that's what I went with, in the end. There was something
wrong with my newsreader - it didn't pick up any messages, including my
own post to this thread, so I finally used GoDaddy. I didn't see where
it said what future rates would be (renewal) so I was a bit nervous
about being held hostage in future years, so what you've said here
reassures me.

CM

?

pecan said:
Thanks... that's what I went with, in the end. There was something
wrong with my newsreader - it didn't pick up any messages, including
my own post to this thread, so I finally used GoDaddy. I didn't see
where it said what future rates would be (renewal) so I was a bit
nervous about being held hostage in future years, so what you've said
here reassures me.

No problem at all. In fact, I've been a customer with GoDaddy for about
5 years now, and I currently have 99 domains in my account with them
(not 100, as I previously thought). The only two times I can recall
having the need to contact customer support, was when I lost my account
ID and password, and when I needed to find out how to set glue records
for DNS (ie. registering my DNS servers). Even then, I got a response
within 24 hours.