New Website - critique/feedback requested

Jim Moe

Spartanicus said:
Opera stores it's cache and mail base in it's \Program Files\ dir for
single user installs, FF's cache is located somewhere else
(Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles on my W98 system).

Opera: 5.33mb
FF: 15.7mb
"it's" = it is
"its" = neuter possessive
mb = millibit
MB = MegaByte

Ed Mullen

Spartanicus said:

Well, ok. Still, you had no comment on my figures. So, umm, "your
thing, my thing." Not arguing, just noting that I posted my figures, you
posted yours, and now we're just, apparently, err, avoiding the issue, eh?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

Jim said:
"it's" = it is
"its" = neuter possessive
mb = millibit
MB = MegaByte
Yeah, yeah, but this is a conversational medium. So, stop being
pedantic about it. I think most of us can spell and the rest of us will
stumble through the abbreviations and acronyms and newsgroup-speak. Sheesh.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://mozilla.edmullen.net
http://abington.edmullen.net
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas
Adams

Spartanicus

Ed Mullen said:
Well, ok. Still, you had no comment on my figures.

Here's a hint: I can't look on your hard drive to see what is in your
Opera folders.

The size I posted is what Opera expands to excluding user data such as
cache, bookmarks mailbase etc.

dorayme

Ben Measures said:
Will set the body text font size to 100% of the user's preference. Make
everything else (headings, footers, etc) relative to that.

The phrase "user's preference" is quite misleading. Underneath it
is a pandora's box of considerations. There are not many big
commercial websites out there that use normal 100% text for most
of the expected-to-be/meant-to-be-read body text. I do mostly and
a few folks here do or claim to do this.

I was talking to a colleague and he just laughed at the idea of
100%, like I was from some other planet. I explained that in
fact, I was from Mars. But he just laughed again. I changed tack
and said I belonged to a sort of special html/css sect of a broad
church. He certainly was not laughing the last time I saw him.
The very last of him was a huge fist heading towards my eyes. I
was out cold for 5 minutes. I won't talk to him again!

dorayme

Ed Mullen said:
Yeah, yeah, but this is a conversational medium. So, stop being
pedantic about it. I think most of us can spell and the rest of us will
stumble through the abbreviations and acronyms and newsgroup-speak. Sheesh.

Ed, you don't get it at all. When Spartanicus (God) himself makes
these mistakes, how can ordinary mortals resist to point them
out?

(btw, what is this about this being a conversational medium that
makes it pedantic to spell the spoken words correctly? This a new
category of things on earth?)

Blinky the Shark

dorayme said:
Ed, you don't get it at all. When Spartanicus (God) himself makes
these mistakes, how can ordinary mortals resist to point them
out?

(btw, what is this about this being a conversational medium that
makes it pedantic to spell the spoken words correctly?

Nothing.

Ed Mullen

Spartanicus said:
Here's a hint: I can't look on your hard drive to see what is in your
Opera folders.

The size I posted is what Opera expands to excluding user data such as
cache, bookmarks mailbase etc.

Yeah, well, you snipped all of my original post which stated the basis
for my figures. The size I posted is as I indicated, no cache, no mail,
and the same imported bookmarks file from my SeaMonkey/Firefox installs
(500Kb). So, can you account for the difference in our installation
sizes? Hey, I don't really care, but you were the one who posted "The
real installed figures" in the first place.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Richard Thoms

Just an update. The site now uses % for font-size, thus font resizeing
works well now. I abandoned the drop-down menus and now just have links
to mini-sitemaps. Much lighter.

The move to strict and replacing tables with divs will have to wait for
a while.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-Richard

Richard Thoms
President - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Connecting Homeowners and Local Home Service Professionals
Homeowners, Find a Top Service Pro --> http://www.TopServicePros.com
Service Pros, Get Listed on the Web -> http://www.TopServicePros.com

Richard Thoms

Michael,

I could never reproduce that problem, but I've reworked the whole header
and removed the drop-down menus and I wonder if that has fixed this. If
you could please check again I'd appreciate it. If you still see the
problem please let me know what browser your using.

Thanks,

Ed Mullen said:
Yeah, well, you snipped all of my original post which stated the basis
for my figures.

You stated nothing but the size of your folder tree and the number of
files and directories in it.

If you are to impaired to figure out what is causing the difference then
to do it for you we'd need a full file listing of that folder including
file sizes.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, dorayme
I was talking to a colleague and he just laughed at the idea of
100%, like I was from some other planet. I explained that in
fact, I was from Mars. But he just laughed again. I changed tack
and said I belonged to a sort of special html/css sect of a broad
church.

A broad church?? That doesn't sound very community-oriented. Can the guys
at least watch?

Michael Laplante

Richard Thoms said:
I could never reproduce that problem, but I've reworked the whole header
and removed the drop-down menus and I wonder if that has fixed this. If
you could please check again I'd appreciate it. If you still see the
problem please let me know what browser your using.

Quick check shows that the new layout nicely solves the problem.

Neredbojias

To my English-speaking eyes, this is starting to look Dutch.

That's because Dutchmen gradually debased the language in order to be heard
above the noise of their clackety shoes.