New XML-User: DTD-Aware freeware XML-Editor/typical command-line-toolchain wanted

Discussion in 'XML' started by dunklervater@yahoo.com, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello group,

    I work at a shop that mostly uses FM+XML when using XML.
    Yet I am very interested in how "the rest of the world" is using XML.
    That´s why I am on the lookout for:

    1. a freeware XML-Editor, that is DTD-/Schema-aware and can do Unicode
    (goal: should only show me elements which are valid as the next
    element)

    2. the elements of a typical XML-toolchain
    * freeware XSLT-processor
    * stylesheet engine (either with FOP or what I would like much better:
    CSS)
    * whatever else you would deem appropriate or necessary.

    BTW:
    * Is there any decent freeware (or cheap) DTD/Schema editor
    * Whats the difference between an XSL-Processor and ANT?
    * Are there any standard web ressources one should know?

    Thank you in advance for any input on this.

    Cheers,
    F.

    , Oct 4, 2006

  2. Peter Flynn Guest

    Re: New XML-User: DTD-Aware freeware XML-Editor/typical command-line-toolchainwanted

    wrote:
    > Hello group,
    >
    > I work at a shop that mostly uses FM+XML when using XML.
    > Yet I am very interested in how "the rest of the world" is using XML.
    > That´s why I am on the lookout for:
    >
    > 1. a freeware XML-Editor, that is DTD-/Schema-aware and can do Unicode
    > (goal: should only show me elements which are valid as the next
    > element)

    All XML editors (except the very simplest) do this.

    The problem with XML editors is not their XML conformance (usually)
    but the usability of their interfaces.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

    Peter Flynn, Oct 4, 2006

  3. Re: New XML-User: DTD-Aware freeware XML-Editor/typical command-line-toolchainwanted

    > * Whats the difference between an XSL-Processor and ANT?

    Uhm... Have you tried plugging "XSL" or "ANT" into a web search engine?
    That will rapidly take you to the W3C and Apache websites (respectively)
    which describe these tools.

    (There are actually two layers to XSL processing -- XSLT transformations
    and XSL-FO formatting/rendering -- but when folks just say XSL they most
    often mean the former.)

    Joe Kesselman, Oct 5, 2006