Newbie ASP.NET/Blog question

DMG

Okay, things are starting to become a bit clearer now.

Did a bit more googling based on what I've learned from this thread, and it
seems that providing a feed into your main site from your blog site, and a
link to an external blog site is somewhat standard practice.

By integration, I mean what is described in this article:

http://jonathanwold.com/tutorials/wordpress_integration/

I didn't think ASP.NET and PHP were compatible, but it seems that they are,
so I'll google for some more info on that. If anyone knows of any good
links then that would be appreciated.

Ta!

Darrel said:
For example, if i install dasblog, and I have it 'under' my own website,
then IIS will look like this:

MyWebsite [Virtual Directory]
DasBlog [Virtual Directory]

I have a link to my dasblog from my website, and it opens up 'inside' (by
way of perhaps an IFRAME, even although that has been derided by a

Yes, iframes are bad.

But I'm still not sure what 'integrate' means to you.
So the url for the blog would be, 'www.mywebsite/blog'.

Ah, I see, well, if it's merely a URL issue (which I don't think is a huge
deal) then your method would be fine. You could even run WordPress along
side your asp.net site if you really wanted to under the same domain.
Also, to confuse things even further, I was thinking about making use of
ASP.NET Master Pages. Is it achievable to do this and link the blog in
using these, or not?

Well, if you want to use ASP.net master pages, then you do need an ASP.net
blog system that supports master pages.

I'm not thrilled with master pages myself, but yea, that's a pure ASP.net
concept.

-Darrel

Darrel

That's great, but is that how it's done? Do I create my web site around
it? And what happens if it is updated, I then need to manually merge the
changes with my source?

Like you mention before, just run it as a separate application folder. No
need to intertwine its code with yours.

-Darrel

Darrel

I didn't think ASP.NET and PHP were compatible, but it seems that they
are, so I'll google for some more info on that. If anyone knows of any
good links then that would be appreciated.

They're not compatible in that they can talk to each other seemlessly. They
can both be interpreted by an IIS server, though.

I think 'integration' you are looking for could easily be done via shared
CSS and a handful of server side includes.

-Darrel

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> That's great, but is that how it's done? Do I create my web site around it?

I'd simply create a virtual directory to the blog and include a link to it from
your main app ( I'd also include a link back to your main app in the blog ).

You don't have to integrate the code, just provide navigation back and forth.

I would try to have the general "look and feel" of the blog
and your main app as similar as possible, though.

A standard CSS theme will take care of that.

John Timney \(MVP\)

I don't think there is a standard approach - its whatever works for you. In
my case, it was a lot less work to do it that way than to try and embed it.
To be truthful, the blog software was an afterthought and I decided to make
it part of my site without going to the expense of completely rebranding it.
Although it wouldn''t have been a mammoth task to totally amalgamate the
brand into the blog software, I decided to make a clear distinction between
my web site and my blog site, so although the brand is similar they portray
a different purpose.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

clintonG

That's very sound reasoning Dave. Have you conducted due diligence with
BlogEngine.NET?

At face value and after an installation and a bit of use BlogEngine.NET
certainly meets the criteria for Darrel and his other brother Darell.

Dave Bush said:
Mark,

Take another look. I didn't recommend it because I know it is
available. I recommended it because I use it consistently and have been
developing modules for it since 3.0.

I felt the same way when I looked at it during 2.x, I even started
writing my own framework because I couldn't find anything I was happy
with. I wasn't happy with the speed in 3.x but saw the promise. But
4.x is when the platform really started taking off. There are tons of
modules already created and a very defined framework for how to create
your own.

The ONLY thing I don't like is the lack of documentation (but hey, this
is open source. You don't pay $$, you pay time) and as a CMS, I WISH it
had some way of versioning pages as well as modules on the page, and a
bit more granular control over who could do what (permissions.) But,
for the sites I create, it is the fastest way to market for the least
expense.

As a CMS, it is the only one I've seen that lets you create web sites
that look practically any way you can imagine. As a development
framework, it provides all the advantages that MFC (for Visual C++) did.
And while having that structure has it's disadvantages, for most
corporations the advantages FAR outweigh the disadvantages.

Take a look at the showcase. Boch Hot Water and NYSE are both using it
as well as several large colleges. They don't pick CMS systems without
MAJOR due diligence.

Dave Bush
http://blog.dmbcllc.com