non root users accessing application installed with root instance

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by hector, Dec 5, 2006.

  1. hector

    hector Guest

    Hi all,

    I am looking for an approach to adapt for allowing non root users to
    access application(s) (some specific ones) that were installed with
    root privileges. I cannot adapt an approach in which the user
    intervention is required(the 'su' coomand one) as well as would not
    look for something that will compromise the security of the application
    and the system as well.

    I Thought of creating a group and assigning it read-and-execute rights
    for the application(s) but as with root install, the application will
    reside in the general default install dirs (/etc/ , /lib/ , etc) this
    will require giving execute rights (for browsing thru the directories)
    and may eventually cause some security threats. Please do comment upon
    this apporach, pointing out flaws in it.

    Any other idea/appraoch suggested would only help me in evaluating
    things in a better way.

    Regards,
    Hector
    hector, Dec 5, 2006

  2. hector

    Chris Dollin Guest

    hector wrote:

    > I am looking for an approach to adapt for allowing non root users to
    > access application(s) (some specific ones) that were installed with
    > root privileges. I cannot adapt an approach in which the user
    > intervention is required(the 'su' coomand one) as well as would not
    > look for something that will compromise the security of the application
    > and the system as well.
    >
    > I Thought of creating a group and assigning it read-and-execute rights
    > for the application(s) but as with root install, the application will
    > reside in the general default install dirs (/etc/ , /lib/ , etc) this
    > will require giving execute rights (for browsing thru the directories)
    > and may eventually cause some security threats. Please do comment upon
    > this apporach, pointing out flaws in it.
    >
    > Any other idea/appraoch suggested would only help me in evaluating
    > things in a better way.

    This is comp.lang.c, where your question is wildly off-topic; you'd be
    better off in comp.unix.programmer (if I've spelt that right).

    --
    Chris "Perikles triumphant" Dollin
    "Who do you serve, and who do you trust?" /Crusade/
    Chris Dollin, Dec 5, 2006

  3. hector

    hector Guest

    Hi,

    I was basically looking for some way in which the same can be achieved
    by a C code. comp.lang.c being "the" place for C stuff, i posted it in
    here.

    Furtheromre to clarify i am not looking for any code snippet (though a
    rough idea is always an additional advantage ;) ) but just the way it
    can be done using C.

    Regards,
    Hector

    hector, Dec 5, 2006
  4. hector

    MQ Guest

    hector wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am looking for an approach to adapt for allowing non root users to
    > access application(s) (some specific ones) that were installed with
    > root privileges. I cannot adapt an approach in which the user
    > intervention is required(the 'su' coomand one) as well as would not
    > look for something that will compromise the security of the application
    > and the system as well.
    >
    > I Thought of creating a group and assigning it read-and-execute rights
    > for the application(s) but as with root install, the application will
    > reside in the general default install dirs (/etc/ , /lib/ , etc) this
    > will require giving execute rights (for browsing thru the directories)
    > and may eventually cause some security threats. Please do comment upon
    > this apporach, pointing out flaws in it.
    >
    > Any other idea/appraoch suggested would only help me in evaluating
    > things in a better way.

    I think what you may be looking for is "setuid" permissions under
    Unix/Linux. The privileges that a program has while running has
    nothing to do with the program (it is an OS function), and hence has
    nothing to do with C. Try a unix/linux newsgroup

    MQ
    MQ, Dec 5, 2006
  5. hector

    Chris Dollin Guest

    hector wrote:

    (Please don't top-post.)

    > I was basically looking for some way in which the same can be achieved
    > by a C code. comp.lang.c being "the" place for C stuff, i posted it in
    > here.

    It's "the" place for "C stuff", but Unix permissions aren't "C stuff".

    > Furtheromre to clarify i am not looking for any code snippet (though a
    > rough idea is always an additional advantage ;) ) but just the way it
    > can be done using C.

    It is done in C by calling functions whose definition is outside the
    scope of the C standard. What those functions are, and how they
    interact, isn't something to do with C, but something to do with
    Unix - so go where the expertise is. (Not that there are /no/ Unix
    experts here, of course, but then again, there are bridge players
    here, and Eurogamers, and Magenta fans [1], but that wouldn't make
    a discussion of the distinction between contracts in Mu and bridge
    or what album best goes with a Martin Wallace game topical.)

    [1] Use of the plural indicates "at least one".

    --
    Chris "Perikles triumphant" Dollin
    "People are part of the design. It's dangerous to forget that." /Star Cops/
    Chris Dollin, Dec 5, 2006
  6. hector

    CBFalconer Guest

    hector wrote:

    > I was basically looking for some way in which the same can be
    > achieved by a C code. comp.lang.c being "the" place for C stuff,
    > i posted it in here.
    >
    > Furtheromre to clarify i am not looking for any code snippet
    > (though a rough idea is always an additional advantage ;) ) but
    > just the way it can be done using C.

    Please don't top-post. Do read the following links.

    --
    Some informative links:
    CBFalconer, Dec 5, 2006