non root users accessing application installed with root instance

hector

Hi all,

I am looking for an approach to adapt for allowing non root users to
access application(s) (some specific ones) that were installed with
root privileges. I cannot adapt an approach in which the user
intervention is required(the 'su' coomand one) as well as would not
look for something that will compromise the security of the application
and the system as well.

I Thought of creating a group and assigning it read-and-execute rights
for the application(s) but as with root install, the application will
reside in the general default install dirs (/etc/ , /lib/ , etc) this
will require giving execute rights (for browsing thru the directories)
and may eventually cause some security threats. Please do comment upon
this apporach, pointing out flaws in it.

Any other idea/appraoch suggested would only help me in evaluating
things in a better way.

Regards,
Hector

Chris Dollin

hector said:
I am looking for an approach to adapt for allowing non root users to
access application(s) (some specific ones) that were installed with
root privileges. I cannot adapt an approach in which the user
intervention is required(the 'su' coomand one) as well as would not
look for something that will compromise the security of the application
and the system as well.

I Thought of creating a group and assigning it read-and-execute rights
for the application(s) but as with root install, the application will
reside in the general default install dirs (/etc/ , /lib/ , etc) this
will require giving execute rights (for browsing thru the directories)
and may eventually cause some security threats. Please do comment upon
this apporach, pointing out flaws in it.

Any other idea/appraoch suggested would only help me in evaluating
things in a better way.

This is comp.lang.c, where your question is wildly off-topic; you'd be
better off in comp.unix.programmer (if I've spelt that right).

hector

Hi,

I was basically looking for some way in which the same can be achieved
by a C code. comp.lang.c being "the" place for C stuff, i posted it in
here.

Furtheromre to clarify i am not looking for any code snippet (though a
rough idea is always an additional advantage ;) ) but just the way it
can be done using C.

Regards,
Hector

MQ

hector said:
[...]

I think what you may be looking for is "setuid" permissions under
Unix/Linux. The privileges that a program has while running has
nothing to do with the program (it is an OS function), and hence has
nothing to do with C. Try a unix/linux newsgroup

MQ

Chris Dollin

hector wrote:

(Please don't top-post.)
I was basically looking for some way in which the same can be achieved
by a C code. comp.lang.c being "the" place for C stuff, i posted it in
here.

It's "the" place for "C stuff", but Unix permissions aren't "C stuff".
Furtheromre to clarify i am not looking for any code snippet (though a
rough idea is always an additional advantage ;) ) but just the way it
can be done using C.

It is done in C by calling functions whose definition is outside the
scope of the C standard. What those functions are, and how they
interact, isn't something to do with C, but something to do with
Unix - so go where the expertise is. (Not that there are /no/ Unix
experts here, of course, but then again, there are bridge players
here, and Eurogamers, and Magenta fans [1], but that wouldn't make
a discussion of the distinction between contracts in Mu and bridge
or what album best goes with a Martin Wallace game topical.)

[1] Use of the plural indicates "at least one".

CBFalconer

hector said:
I was basically looking for some way in which the same can be
achieved by a C code. comp.lang.c being "the" place for C stuff,
i posted it in here.

Furtheromre to clarify i am not looking for any code snippet
(though a rough idea is always an additional advantage ;) ) but
just the way it can be done using C.

Please don't top-post. Do read the following links.

--
Some informative links:
< <http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/>