Note to new-comers

Frederick Gotham

A particular poster on this newsgroup portrays him/herself as being helpful,
and regularly posts the following three links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

The poster in question goes by the alias Kenny McCormack (also the name of a
cartoon character). The poster in question is a troll, and does not
contribute to the group.

The first link leads to an encyclopaedic description of the term "clique".

The second link leads to an encyclopaedic description of the medical
condition, "Asperger syndrome", which is considered a form of autism. The
troll implies that participants of this group may present with the condition.
This paints a picture of a very pathetic human being, completely insensitive
to other people's feelings.

The pathetic human being in question takes entertainment from posting
insensitive information, and makes no positive contribution to an otherwise
pleasant group.

Looking at the headers of his posts, it appears that he is posting from
Ireland (where I myself live). There is an e-mail address to which you can
send complaints:

(e-mail address removed)

A friend of mine works in Eircom (the primary national telephone and internet
provider), and I have asked him if he can see about getting this person
banned from their service.

In the meantime, I shall send complaints to (e-mail address removed), referring
them to the many posts in which he presents those three links.

Al Balmer

The poster in question goes by the alias Kenny McCormack (also the name of a
cartoon character). The poster in question is a troll, and does not
contribute to the group.

Is he still around? A rather unsuccessful troll - he'd probably do
better on a different newsgroup.

Frederick Gotham

Al Balmer posted:
Is he still around? A rather unsuccessful troll - he'd probably do
better on a different newsgroup.

The only thing that annoyed me is that people would follow those links in the
mistaken belief that he was being helpful.

Thankfully my friend in Eircom said it wouldn't be much hassle to track a
Usenet post back to a customer account (if it was sent via one of their news
servers)... so looks like he won't be around for much longer.

pemo

Frederick said:
[...]

Well, there's always the 'kill file' - and it's a lot less hassle.

jacob navia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique

A clique (pronounced kleek) is an informal and restricted social group
formed by a number of people who share common interests - formal social
groups are referred to as societies or organizations. Cliques are most
notably found amongst groups of teenagers, primarily in high schools and
colleges, but also in other similar environments, such as the workplace.

Cliques at times have complex structures, and characteristics tend to
differ between one another. However, one characteristic which is common
to nearly all cliques is the existence of a defined power structure,
generally comprised of a leader (or a few leaders), followers (refer to
the article on leadership) and pariahs.

Outcast

The outcast is a person who does not fit into any specific clique, and
as such, at times faces physical and psychological aggression from
clique members, in a fashion similar to bullying. It is not common for
witnesses to defend an outcast, as most fear being rejected and
potentially becoming an outcast themselves.

:)

jacob

Keith Thompson

Frederick Gotham said:
A particular poster on this newsgroup portrays him/herself as being helpful,
and regularly posts the following three links: [...]
The poster in question goes by the alias [...] (also the name of a
cartoon character). The poster in question is a troll, and does not
contribute to the group.

I neither know nor care what this troll's actual motivations are, but
his behavior implies that he's looking for attention, and doesn't care
whether it's positive or negative. I have no complaint about your
posting this warning to newcomers, but I urge everyone not to carry on
this thread any further. We've been doing a pretty good job lately of
ignoring this troll, either by killfiling him (which I highly
recommend) or simply by refusing to post followups. By all means feel
free to complain to his ISP if you're so inclined. He may attempt to
provoke us by becoming even more offensive and personal. Please don't
take the bait.

Clever Monkey

Default said:
Not in my part of town. "Click".
[OT, naturally.]

This is one of those English words that will never please anyone. The
root of this word is Old French from "cliquer" (something like
[kleek'-ay]) or "to click". Both "clique" and "click" are from this
same root, so it is typically arbitrary how one pronounces it in
English, I guess. (Well, I would refrain from pronouncing it "luxury
yacht" unless you were quite silly.)

On the other hand, if one went around pronouncing "click" as "kleek"
people would probably think you quite odd.

But, you are right. However you grew up pronouncing this will make the
other typical pronunciation sound either snooty or tinny. I admit I
cringe a little when I hear "klick" for "clique".

Christopher Benson-Manica

Joe Wright said:
And I suppose niche is nitch at your house instead of neesh?

dictionary.com suggests that (nitch) is actually the more common
pronunciation. I personally might, from time to time, say (nish), but
of course that seems to be incorrect.

Default User

Joe said:
And I suppose niche is nitch at your house instead of neesh?

Indeed. And "caught" is not "cot". I also say "kitty-corner" and
"cattywampus" (current thread on alt.usage.english).

Brian

Mark McIntyre

dictionary.com suggests that (nitch) is actually the more common
pronunciation.

American, presumably. Its neesh in the UK.

--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Richard Bos

Christopher Benson-Manica said:
dictionary.com suggests that (nitch) is actually the more common
pronunciation.

Not in the civilised world, it isn't.

Richard