Opinions

Blinky the Shark

The stupidest excuse ever. Have you not even HEARD of the down arrow?

....PageDn? End? Scroll bar? Why, there be all *kinds* of useful tools
in/on/around this machine. :)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mike said:
What's wrong with Verdana and px? Excuse my ignorance.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

You've already been told why px is a Bad Idea™. IE users with vision
problems will not be able to resize your microfonts. You need to go
through your style sheet and change almost *all* of the px (except
border widths) to something more appropriate. Percents and ems.

Outlooks Express does not crash if you press the PageDown key before
replying. Or, get a better newsreader that you can tell to place the
insertion point at the bottom. Carefully trim before you click Send.

open the front cover and begin reading there?
the back cover and end up at the front or do you
chapter one or do you start somewhere near
When reading a book, do you start at

Mike Terry

What's wrong with Verdana and px? Excuse my ignorance.

I'll be addressing this shortly.
You've already been told why px is a Bad Idea™. IE users with vision
problems will not be able to resize your microfonts. You need to go
through your style sheet and change almost *all* of the px (except
border widths) to something more appropriate. Percents and ems.

Sorted :) Thanks very much for your help with this! I'm using percentages
now.
Outlooks Express does not crash if you press the PageDown key before
replying. Or, get a better newsreader that you can tell to place the
insertion point at the bottom. Carefully trim before you click Send.

open the front cover and begin reading there?
the back cover and end up at the front or do you
chapter one or do you start somewhere near
When reading a book, do you start at

Fair comment!

Cheers,

Richard

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mike said:
I'll be addressing this shortly.

All it takes it to remove the word Verdana from your style sheet.
Sorted :) Thanks very much for your help with this! I'm using
percentages now.

Yabbut... not nearly *enough* of them!

p.text
{
font-size: 60%;
font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif;
line-height: 160%;
}

Do this:

body, td { font-size: 100%; }
h1 { font-size: 150%; }
h2 { font-size: 140%; }
..legalese, .copyright { font-size: 90%; }

That is all you need. (The td is for .. what .. an IE bug?)

Mike Terry

p.text
{
font-size: 60%;
font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif;
line-height: 160%;
}

Do this:

body, td { font-size: 100%; }
h1 { font-size: 150%; }
h2 { font-size: 140%; }
.legalese, .copyright { font-size: 90%; }

That is all you need. (The td is for .. what .. an IE bug?)

Not entirely sure I understand what's going on there. Is it ok to leave it
as it is or are there issues with it?

Richard

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mike said:
Not entirely sure I understand what's going on there. Is it ok to leave it
as it is or are there issues with it?

60% is flyspecks. The size 100% is your visitors default size, and I
am sure that is what they would prefer seeing. Your 60% text is
completely unreadable to me, unless (in my modern non-IE browser) I
increase the size to about 1.5 times.

Open it in Opera. There is a "zoom" percentage dropdown in the
toolbar. When it is at 100%, your text can't be read. Change your
style sheet as I indicated above.

Barbara de Zoete

Sorry, it's where Outlook plonks my cursor.

What a looser that blames his tools. What an annoying behaviour you have in all
of these web authoring groups. And it doesn't look like any of the advise of
your previous request was taken into account (if there was a previous request;
can't find it with your name or e-mail address as author through Google).

Go play, but not in here.

*ploink*

Barbara de Zoete

rf ... output:

Why do they have a cross posting section in every sunday alt.html statistic?

Why is it so hard for some nitwits to understand the difference between a proper
crosspost and a faulty multipost?

rf

Jan Faerber said:
rf ... output:

Why do they have a cross posting section in every sunday alt.html
statistic?

Because *cross* posting (posting a single message to more than one group,
resulting in one thread which spans all the groups) is kosher (if kept
reasonable). Multiposting (posting different messages to different groups,
which results in a seperate disparate thread in each group) is not. It's a
bloody pain in the arse.

Look for the links on the matter in this thread and learn the difference.

As soon as I find that somebody has multiposted I largely ignore all the
threads. I don't want to waste my time answering something in one group (as
I did today) only to find that somebody has already answered it in another
group.

Go over to alt.html.critique where you will find a disparate duplicate of
this thread and read my comments there. There, that is in itself one of the
bloody anoying things about multiposting. Having to refer you to another
group to see an answer I made to this particular question.

Jan Faerber

rf ... output:

statistic?

Because *cross* posting (posting a single message to more than one group,
resulting in one thread which spans all the groups) is kosher (if kept
reasonable). Multiposting (posting different messages to different groups,
which results in a seperate disparate thread in each group) is not. It's a
bloody pain in the arse.

I did not know that - does it mean everyone should keep the collection of
news groups in the receiver field when sending an answer to a cross
posting? It would be logic in your sense.

So the more complex and selfreferal a thread is the better.

But what is the need for the forward field then?

Jan Faerber

Barbara de Zoete ... output:
Why is it so hard for some nitwits to understand the difference between a
proper crosspost and a faulty multipost?

http://www.xeromag.com/fvbdsm.html

<quote>All right, so what is "BDSM"?

"BDSM" is an acronym of "B&D" (Bondage & Discipline), "D&S" (Dominance &
Submission), and "S&M" (sadomasochism). "BDSM" refers to any or all of
these things, and a lot of stuff besides.</quote>

B _ _ _ D _ _ _
_ _ _ _ D _ _ _ S
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ S _ _ _ M

Somehow this interweaving of cross posting and multiposting is very similar.

Barbara de Zoete

Mike Terry

What a looser that blames his tools. What an annoying behaviour you have
in all
of these web authoring groups. And it doesn't look like any of the advise of
your previous request was taken into account (if there was a previous request;
can't find it with your name or e-mail address as author through Google).

Go play, but not in here.

It's "loser" actually....

Thanks for your time and patience though!

Richard