OT: Just venting, no need to reply.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jeffrey Silverman, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. MSIE is a steaming pile of horse shit. No, I take it back. Calling MSIE
    a steaming pile of horse shit is being too hard on steaming piles of horse
    shit. I don't know what to call it. But it sucks monkey nuggets.

    There. All vented. But I don't feel any better because I still have to
    tweak and hack and fix and workaround just to get MSIE to do some really
    basic stuff. Two extra hours of work for every one hour of real work just
    to get MSIE to play nice.

    And the worst part of it is, non-web developers or designers or whatever
    (meaning just regular-shmoe web surfers) don't even realize how crappy
    MSIE is. But maybe they are beginning to.

    You know, back in 1999, MSIE 5 was actually pretty good. Definitely
    better than NS4.x. Which, (among other reasons), is why, IMO, MSIE
    finally took control over the Web from NS. But that was then. Now, five
    and a half years and nearly zero "innovations" later, MSIE is sucky sucky
    sucky.

    Arrrrgh!!!

    later...

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
    Jeffrey Silverman, Nov 9, 2004

  2. On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:09:34 -0500, Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

    > Arrrrgh!!!

    Allright, I'll describe the source of today's frustration.

    On MSIE 6.0.2800.1106 on Windows 2000, I am noticing a problem with
    background images not showing up until a screen refresh. I'm not talking
    about clicking the "Reload" button either -- I am talking about resizing,
    minimizing, or maximizing the window to get the window to be redrawn.
    *OR*, taking another open window and "dragging" it over top of the MSIE
    window to redraw the portions of the screen under the window being dragged.

    I have a background image in a DIV but the background does not show up
    until the screen is re-drawn in one of the aforementioned ways.

    Has anyone else seen this bug? Anyone know how to fix it?

    Sample URL:
    <http://initiatives.jhu.edu/nano?csson=1>

    Screenshots of problem (in case you are lucky/smart and don't use Windows
    or MSIE 6):
    <http://engineering.jhu.edu/~jeff/msiebug.php>

    Please note that I am running MSIE 6 on Wine on Linux. This does not
    matter! I have confirmed that this problem exists exactly like I am
    describing it on two different Windows 2000 machines running the same
    version of MSIE. I only used the Wine screenshots because it was easier
    for me to get the screenshots. The results are the same!

    Thanks! later...

    Jeffrey Silverman, Nov 9, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > MSIE is a steaming pile of horse shit. No, I take it back. Calling MSIE
    > a steaming pile of horse shit is being too hard on steaming piles of horse
    > shit. I don't know what to call it. But it sucks monkey nuggets.

    No news there, then.

    > And the worst part of it is, non-web developers or designers or whatever
    > (meaning just regular-shmoe web surfers) don't even realize how crappy
    > MSIE is. But maybe they are beginning to.

    10 million Firefox downloads ...

    > You know, back in 1999, MSIE 5 was actually pretty good.

    No it wasn't. It's just that NS4 was worse.

    --
    Hywel
    Hywel Jenkins, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Jeffrey Silverman

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:09:34 -0500, Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    >

    >>Arrrrgh!!!

    > Allright, I'll describe the source of today's frustration.
    >
    > On MSIE 6.0.2800.1106 on Windows 2000, I am noticing a problem with
    > background images not showing up until a screen refresh. I'm not talking
    > about clicking the "Reload" button either -- I am talking about resizing,
    > minimizing, or maximizing the window to get the window to be redrawn.
    > *OR*, taking another open window and "dragging" it over top of the MSIE
    > window to redraw the portions of the screen under the window being dragged.
    >
    > I have a background image in a DIV but the background does not show up
    > until the screen is re-drawn in one of the aforementioned ways.
    >
    > Has anyone else seen this bug? Anyone know how to fix it?
    >
    > Sample URL:
    > <http://initiatives.jhu.edu/nano?csson=1>
    >
    > Screenshots of problem (in case you are lucky/smart and don't use Windows
    > or MSIE 6):
    > <http://engineering.jhu.edu/~jeff/msiebug.php>
    >
    > Please note that I am running MSIE 6 on Wine on Linux. This does not
    > matter! I have confirmed that this problem exists exactly like I am
    > describing it on two different Windows 2000 machines running the same
    > version of MSIE. I only used the Wine screenshots because it was easier
    > for me to get the screenshots. The results are the same!
    >
    > Thanks! later...

    Hmmmm, not so sure.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Jeffrey Silverman

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    > MSIE is a steaming pile of horse shit. No, I take it back. Calling MSIE
    > a steaming pile of horse shit is being too hard on steaming piles of horse
    > shit. I don't know what to call it. But it sucks monkey nuggets.
    >
    > There. All vented. But I don't feel any better because I still have to
    > tweak and hack and fix and workaround just to get MSIE to do some really
    > basic stuff. Two extra hours of work for every one hour of real work just
    > to get MSIE to play nice.
    >
    > And the worst part of it is, non-web developers or designers or whatever
    > (meaning just regular-shmoe web surfers) don't even realize how crappy
    > MSIE is. But maybe they are beginning to.
    >
    > You know, back in 1999, MSIE 5 was actually pretty good. Definitely
    > better than NS4.x. Which, (among other reasons), is why, IMO, MSIE
    > finally took control over the Web from NS. But that was then. Now, five
    > and a half years and nearly zero "innovations" later, MSIE is sucky sucky
    > sucky.
    >
    > Arrrrgh!!!
    >
    > later...

    I've been struggling for the last hour to get transparent Flash movies
    to work on IE (mac) and Safari (Mac). They work fine on Windows IE6 /
    FireFox. Really annoying..!!!!! Just wont work!

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Nov 9, 2004
  6. Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    > MSIE is a steaming pile of horse shit. No, I take it back. Calling MSIE
    > a steaming pile of horse shit is being too hard on steaming piles of horse
    > shit. I don't know what to call it. But it sucks monkey nuggets.

    My thoughts exactly. Anyone want to contribute to the "buy a giant
    statue of the Mozilla dinosaur and a plane powerful enough to carry it
    so that a bunch of us can drop it on Microsoft headquarters" fund?
    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 9, 2004
  7. On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:44:37 -0500, Jeffrey Silverman
    <> wrote:

    >Allright, I'll describe the source of today's frustration.
    >
    >On MSIE 6.0.2800.1106 on Windows 2000, I am noticing a problem with
    >background images not showing up until a screen refresh. I'm not talking
    >about clicking the "Reload" button either -- I am talking about resizing,
    >minimizing, or maximizing the window to get the window to be redrawn.
    >*OR*, taking another open window and "dragging" it over top of the MSIE
    >window to redraw the portions of the screen under the window being dragged.
    >
    >I have a background image in a DIV but the background does not show up
    >until the screen is re-drawn in one of the aforementioned ways.
    >
    >Has anyone else seen this bug?

    Sort of. It sounds related to one of the bugs that intermittently hits
    my site in some copies of IE and has been discussed in another thread
    today.

    > Anyone know how to fix it?

    Someone in Redmond maybe? (Actually my theory is that no more releases
    are coming for IE because the code has got so fragile that they can
    hardly touch it without it falling apart completely. Much as Netscape 4
    became in fact.)

    --
    Stephen Poley

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/
    Stephen Poley, Nov 9, 2004
  8. ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.html.]
    Jeffrey Silverman enlightened us with:
    > And the worst part of it is, non-web developers or designers or
    > whatever (meaning just regular-shmoe web surfers) don't even realize
    > how crappy MSIE is. But maybe they are beginning to.

    Well, the problem is that every developer tries to do his/her best to
    get a site to display properly on MSIE - either because they want it,
    or because their boss tells them to.

    Personally, I've stopped supporting MSIE on my personal websites. If
    someone uses MSIE, I tell them they use a backwards browser from the
    middleages.

    A large part of the internet is built by hobbyists. If a big part of
    these hobbyists stop supporting MSIE, maybe we can make people say "I
    want to use Firefox/Opera/Whatever because it works on every website".
    Because /that/ is exactly why people keep using MSIE - it works on
    every website.

    Sybren
    Sybren Stuvel, Nov 9, 2004
  9. Jeffrey Silverman

    Jim Higson Guest

    Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

    > On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:09:34 -0500, Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    >
    >> Arrrrgh!!!

    > Allright, I'll describe the source of today's frustration.
    >
    > On MSIE 6.0.2800.1106 on Windows 2000, I am noticing a problem with
    > background images not showing up until a screen refresh. I'm not talking
    > about clicking the "Reload" button either -- I am talking about resizing,
    > minimizing, or maximizing the window to get the window to be redrawn.
    > *OR*, taking another open window and "dragging" it over top of the MSIE
    > window to redraw the portions of the screen under the window being
    > dragged.
    >
    > I have a background image in a DIV but the background does not show up
    > until the screen is re-drawn in one of the aforementioned ways.
    >
    > Has anyone else seen this bug? Anyone know how to fix it?
    >
    > Sample URL:
    > <http://initiatives.jhu.edu/nano?csson=1>
    >
    > Screenshots of problem (in case you are lucky/smart and don't use Windows
    > or MSIE 6):
    > <http://engineering.jhu.edu/~jeff/msiebug.php>
    >
    > Please note that I am running MSIE 6 on Wine on Linux. This does not
    > matter! I have confirmed that this problem exists exactly like I am
    > describing it on two different Windows 2000 machines running the same
    > version of MSIE. I only used the Wine screenshots because it was easier
    > for me to get the screenshots. The results are the same!
    >
    > Thanks! later...

    might be this:
    http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/peekaboo.html
    Jim Higson, Nov 9, 2004
  10. Jeffrey Silverman

    Peter Guest

    Leif K-Brooks schreef:

    > Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    >
    >> MSIE is a steaming pile of horse shit. No, I take it back. Calling
    >> MSIE
    >> a steaming pile of horse shit is being too hard on steaming piles of
    >> horse
    >> shit. I don't know what to call it. But it sucks monkey nuggets.

    > My thoughts exactly. Anyone want to contribute to the "buy a giant
    > statue of the Mozilla dinosaur and a plane powerful enough to carry it
    > so that a bunch of us can drop it on Microsoft headquarters" fund?

    Hell no!
    They┬┤ll manage to steal it and alter it a little bit and sell it to the
    world again as their own invention. They did it before, remember?
    Peter, Nov 9, 2004
  11. In article <>,
    says...
    > MSIE is a steaming pile of horse shit. No, I take it back. Calling MSIE
    > a steaming pile of horse shit is being too hard on steaming piles of horse
    > shit. I don't know what to call it. But it sucks monkey nuggets.

    Tell us how you really feel...

    --
    -=*Tn*=-
    Travis Newbury, Nov 10, 2004
  12. Jeffrey Silverman

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Sybren Stuvel wrote:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.html.]
    > Jeffrey Silverman enlightened us with:
    >
    >>And the worst part of it is, non-web developers or designers or
    >>whatever (meaning just regular-shmoe web surfers) don't even realize
    >>how crappy MSIE is. But maybe they are beginning to.

    > Well, the problem is that every developer tries to do his/her best to
    > get a site to display properly on MSIE - either because they want it,
    > or because their boss tells them to.

    Because they HAVE to. 96% of people still use IE. You're stuck with it.
    While other browsers are catching up (I use FireFox personally) you HAVE
    TO DESIGN FOR IE... you have no choice if you actually WANT people to
    visit your site.

    > Personally, I've stopped supporting MSIE on my personal websites. If
    > someone uses MSIE, I tell them they use a backwards browser from the
    > middleages.

    That is just plain stupid. You just cut off about a billion visitors
    from your site (96% of everyone on the net). Pretty dumb.

    > A large part of the internet is built by hobbyists. If a big part of
    > these hobbyists stop supporting MSIE, maybe we can make people say "I
    > want to use Firefox/Opera/Whatever because it works on every website".

    Yes, you can say "best viewed with Mozilla" or something, but that's it.
    Perhaps offer extra content for more advanced browsers. But no way can
    you bar people using the site. Yes a large number of sites are build by
    hobbiest, but 99.99% of those sites are fecking terrible "my first web
    page" sites and would be crap on any browser, not just IE. It's up to
    professional designers to design sites that work *well* on IE, but
    perhaps offer more on newer browsers. But you CANNOT dictate what your
    users have installed on their machines. If that were the case there
    WOULD BE no FireFox as MS would have forced IE to be the only browser on
    Windows, right?

    > Because /that/ is exactly why people keep using MSIE - it works on
    > every website.

    Crap. It's because most people dont care. The vast majority of web users
    are non-technical, and frankly dont give a shit about what browser they
    have. IE comes with Windows, so that's what they stick with. While the
    pool of enlightened FireFox users is grown rapidly, it's years away from
    having a significant market share - significant enough to dump support
    for IE. When we get down to 1 or 2% of users using IE, then perhaps you
    can drop support. But even then, can you afford to tell two or three
    million possible visitors on your site to "go away"?

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Nov 10, 2004
  13. SpaceGirl enlightened us with:
    > Because they HAVE to. 96% of people still use IE.

    It's less. A fresh install of Opera identifies itself as MSIE. Not
    much less, but less. AFAIK it's about 94% that's using MSIE. That's
    not a big difference, but when you look that it's 50% more people
    using a non-MSIE browser, those 2% make quite a lot of difference.

    > You're stuck with it. While other browsers are catching up (I use
    > FireFox personally) you HAVE TO DESIGN FOR IE... you have no choice
    > if you actually WANT people to visit your site.

    I'm not talking about making my website inaccessible for MSIE users.
    All I do is give them a less pretty version of the same site. Every
    browser should be able to access the information.

    As an example, visit http://www.unrealtower.org/ with MSIE and
    Firefox, and compare them.

    > That is just plain stupid. You just cut off about a billion visitors
    > from your site (96% of everyone on the net). Pretty dumb.

    You are the one talking about cutting people off. I'm not. "Not
    supporting" is something completely different than "blocking".

    > Yes, you can say "best viewed with Mozilla" or something, but that's
    > it.

    I'll only tell people using MSIE that they're using a backward
    browser. Think about it: I've built a website (XHTML 1.1, CSS 2) that
    renders fine on every modern browser. Even lynx and Netscape 4 display
    it in a perfectly usable way. Looks like crap, but it's perfectly
    usable. The only browser on this whole planet to mess it up so badly
    the entire site is unusable, is MSIE.

    > Perhaps offer extra content for more advanced browsers.

    No - the content of the page should be exactly the same, no matter
    what someone uses. The styles and layout - the points where MSIE is
    really buggy and far behind on other browsers - could be different,
    though.

    > But no way can you bar people using the site.

    Again, *you* are talking about completely blocking MSIE.

    > But you CANNOT dictate what your users have installed on their
    > machines. If that were the case there WOULD BE no FireFox as MS
    > would have forced IE to be the only browser on Windows, right?

    I'm not dictating what people use as a browser. They can use any
    modern browser they want! As long as it's compliance with the W3C
    standards is acceptable.

    > When we get down to 1 or 2% of users using IE, then perhaps you can
    > drop support. But even then, can you afford to tell two or three
    > million possible visitors on your site to "go away"?

    People tell that to non-MSIE users, even though about 6% of the people
    use something else. Do you really think that those people, that tell
    6% to go and get lost, care about a lousy 2% when that's all that's
    left of MSIE? Think again.

    Sybren
    Sybren Stuvel, Nov 10, 2004
  14. Jeffrey Silverman

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Sybren Stuvel wrote:
    > SpaceGirl enlightened us with:
    >
    >>Because they HAVE to. 96% of people still use IE.

    > It's less. A fresh install of Opera identifies itself as MSIE. Not
    > much less, but less. AFAIK it's about 94% that's using MSIE. That's
    > not a big difference, but when you look that it's 50% more people
    > using a non-MSIE browser, those 2% make quite a lot of difference.

    I'm not going to quibble over the numbers. A default Opera install still
    says "opera" in it the header... still gets recorded as opera by MY
    browser checking scripts. I suspect most are the same these days.

    >>You're stuck with it. While other browsers are catching up (I use
    >>FireFox personally) you HAVE TO DESIGN FOR IE... you have no choice
    >>if you actually WANT people to visit your site.

    > I'm not talking about making my website inaccessible for MSIE users.
    > All I do is give them a less pretty version of the same site. Every
    > browser should be able to access the information.

    That's what you suggested, but if it's not what you meant, fine :)

    > As an example, visit http://www.unrealtower.org/ with MSIE and
    > Firefox, and compare them.
    >

    >>That is just plain stupid. You just cut off about a billion visitors
    >>from your site (96% of everyone on the net). Pretty dumb.

    > You are the one talking about cutting people off. I'm not. "Not
    > supporting" is something completely different than "blocking".

    It sounds like it to me. If it's not supported then, they dont see
    anything? If you offer a different version of the site for IE users,
    then you ARE supporting it. Stop mincing your words :)

    >>Yes, you can say "best viewed with Mozilla" or something, but that's
    >>it.

    > I'll only tell people using MSIE that they're using a backward
    > browser. Think about it: I've built a website (XHTML 1.1, CSS 2) that
    > renders fine on every modern browser. Even lynx and Netscape 4 display
    > it in a perfectly usable way. Looks like crap, but it's perfectly
    > usable. The only browser on this whole planet to mess it up so badly
    > the entire site is unusable, is MSIE.

    Good. That's what designers SHOULD do.

    >>Perhaps offer extra content for more advanced browsers.

    > No - the content of the page should be exactly the same, no matter
    > what someone uses. The styles and layout - the points where MSIE is
    > really buggy and far behind on other browsers - could be different,
    > though.

    Not really. Should I offer streamed video to linx browsers? Or flash?
    errmmmm... no. I provide different content.

    >>But no way can you bar people using the site.

    > Again, *you* are talking about completely blocking MSIE.

    cuz you... never mind.

    >>But you CANNOT dictate what your users have installed on their
    >>machines. If that were the case there WOULD BE no FireFox as MS
    >>would have forced IE to be the only browser on Windows, right?

    > I'm not dictating what people use as a browser. They can use any
    > modern browser they want! As long as it's compliance with the W3C
    > standards is acceptable.

    But by definition that excludes IE. SO they can use any browser except
    IE you mean....? Make up your mind.

    >>When we get down to 1 or 2% of users using IE, then perhaps you can
    >>drop support. But even then, can you afford to tell two or three
    >>million possible visitors on your site to "go away"?

    > People tell that to non-MSIE users, even though about 6% of the people
    > use something else. Do you really think that those people, that tell
    > 6% to go and get lost, care about a lousy 2% when that's all that's
    > left of MSIE? Think again.

    ??? not sure that makes sense. Generally though, sites DONT tell users
    to go away if they have a weird browser. The one exception being online
    banks which tell you to "go away" if you have anything OTHER than IE...
    doh! (which REALLY sucks... my bank does this).

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Nov 11, 2004
  15. SpaceGirl enlightened us with:
    > I'm not going to quibble over the numbers.

    Ok, let's not.

    > If you offer a different version of the site for IE users, then you
    > ARE supporting it. Stop mincing your words :)

    You're right.

    > Not really. Should I offer streamed video to linx browsers? Or
    > flash? errmmmm... no.

    Why not?

    > But by definition that excludes IE. SO they can use any browser
    > except IE you mean....? Make up your mind.

    As far as I'm concerned that's right. They can even use MSIE once it
    gets up to par with the rest. Or, they can move along and not visit my
    site. That's what I like about personal websites - it's not about
    making a profit or anything. I build a website because people are
    interested in what I have to offer.

    > The one exception being online banks which tell you to "go away" if
    > you have anything OTHER than IE... doh! (which REALLY sucks... my
    > bank does this).

    I changed banks because of this. MSIE is known for it's lousy
    security. I don't want to hae a bank that only allows such a product
    on their site.

    Sybren
    Sybren Stuvel, Nov 11, 2004
  16. Jeffrey Silverman

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:37:58 +0000, SpaceGirl
    <> wrote:

    > you HAVE TO DESIGN FOR IE... you have no choice if you actually WANT
    > people to visit your site.

    Nope. You have to strongly consider the IE rendering, but you don't have
    to design for IE. I design for the WWW, and my stuff looks good in IE and
    elsewhere.

    Really, unless we all stop working as if IE was all there was, we'll never
    get anywhere.

    > That is just plain stupid. You just cut off about a billion visitors
    > from your site (96% of everyone on the net). Pretty dumb.

    More visitors for you, then. Don't try to dissuade him!
    Neal, Nov 11, 2004
  17. Jeffrey Silverman

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Sybren Stuvel wrote:
    > SpaceGirl enlightened us with:
    >
    >>I'm not going to quibble over the numbers.

    > Ok, let's not.

    :p

    >>Not really. Should I offer streamed video to linx browsers? Or
    >>flash? errmmmm... no.

    > Why not?

    Because linx cannot view streamed video. It's a non-graphical browser.

    >>But by definition that excludes IE. SO they can use any browser
    >>except IE you mean....? Make up your mind.

    > As far as I'm concerned that's right. They can even use MSIE once it
    > gets up to par with the rest. Or, they can move along and not visit my
    > site. That's what I like about personal websites - it's not about
    > making a profit or anything. I build a website because people are
    > interested in what I have to offer.

    I guess it's your site. But how many people would upgrade just to see
    your site? Probably none.

    >>The one exception being online banks which tell you to "go away" if
    >>you have anything OTHER than IE... doh! (which REALLY sucks... my
    >>bank does this).

    > I changed banks because of this. MSIE is known for it's lousy
    > security. I don't want to hae a bank that only allows such a product
    > on their site.

    Yeah... must admit I've been tempted too. But I have too many accounts.
    It would be a nightmare.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Nov 11, 2004
  18. SpaceGirl enlightened us with:
    > Because linx cannot view streamed video. It's a non-graphical browser.

    Ah blech, I mis-read it and ready 'linux'. I think you're reffering to
    either "links" or "lynx".

    > I guess it's your site. But how many people would upgrade just to
    > see your site? Probably none.

    I guess so. Then again: it's their loss. I'm only saving bandwidth :)

    Sybren
    Sybren Stuvel, Nov 11, 2004
  19. Jeffrey Silverman

    Toby Inkster Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Because linx cannot view streamed video. It's a non-graphical browser.

    Assuming you are refering to Lynx, yes it can. Just not inline (e.g. via
    the <object> element). When faced with a simple link to a streamed video
    it will open the video in the user's choice of application (e.g.
    RealPlayer), much like a graphical browser might do.

    That user's choice of application might not even be a graphical
    application -- aalib provides handy real-time rendering of video as ASCII
    art!

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Nov 12, 2004