OT - to non USA folks

Joel Shepherd

nice.guy.nige said:
While the city slept, Joel Shepherd ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...

Aah... that would be the Lend-Lease that we have only just finished paying
off then, would it? The one that placed a heavy burden on our wartime and
post-war economy. Thanks for the help.

You bet.
Shame its taken us nearly 60 years to pay the debt.

Wow, was it _that_ much help? ;-)

On a more serious note, a week or two ago in
soc.history.war.world-war-ii, there was a long thread about the UK's
supposed economic retreat following the war, all supposedly due to US
policy (of course). One poster, a UK resident who, from his long history
in the group I feel fairly safe assuming doesn't spout BS, shot the
assertion to pieces, and actually demonstrated that the UK's economy
remained the largest and strongest in Europe, and that in fact the
quality of life in Great Britain surpassed that in the US some time back.

You can find the thread and pick apart the arguments yourself. You can
also decide for yourself if, when someone explicitly lends you
something, whether you should feel cheated when they actually expect you
to pay it back.

My statement, in case you were confused about its intent, was not to try
to paint the US as noble in supporting the UK via Lend-Lease. Obviously,
you and many others feel that's not the case. My intent was to show that
the US _was_ involved in the war before Pearl Harbor. That's all.
As a matter of interest, how much is Blair charging Bush for the
British assistance in Iraq? Or Afghanistan?

Truth be told, I don't know. My naive assumption is that he's not
charging.

How was the political climate in the UK in 2001-2002 different from the
political climate in the US in, say, 1939-1941?

Between you and me - next time, I suggest you _do_ charge. I'm saying
that perfectly straight-faced. I strongly suspect the attitude in Europe
regarding American wars now is quite similar to the American attitude
towards European wars earlier last century.

Look at Lend-Lease through those lenses for a moment.

Neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Neal quothed:
Oh, good. Actually, some of them are fairly intelligent. Many can cook
well. Often they find tax loopholes I cannot. They often have spacious and
luxurious RVs. I respect that.

I suppose the kicker is that if you believe the results (-And how can one
not?) my opinion is in the minority. Perhaps I need to improve my
"family values" or at least reinterpret the term according to prevailing
tenets.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Neredbojias scribbled in the mud:
Without quill or qualm, Duende quothed:

Duende, you old fart! 'Would've thought your hormones 'been dried up by
now.

And where were you for about a year?

Neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Duende quothed:
And where were you for about a year?

About as low as you can get, and I don't mean Australia.

Actually, it's basically as mundane as health problems. I'm an oldfart,
too (*sigh*).

Jeff Thies

Travis said:
So how did you come to that conclusion?

Bush gives very few real interviews. HAve you forgotten that during one
of those interviews and during the debates he was asked about which
mistakes he regretted. He as much as said he had made no mistakes.

Really, this is an easy one!

Jeff

Because I voted for him? He
has made a bunch of mistakes. But presidents are not infallible, they
are human, and can make mistakes.

He doesn't think he has made any!

I have no problem with that.
Think back and give me a list of all the acting presidents that said
"man, I fucked up there" while in office. What you will find is none.

Think again!

They don't admit mistakes. Look at Kerry, has he never made a mistake?
He never admitted to any.

Think again!
I disagree with the president on many issues, but I completely agree
with him on one. The war on terrorism.

Your frightened and when you scare people they vote republican.

The war on terrorism is going badly after a good start.

Jeff

Jim Higson

Jim said:
You wouldn't believe how far from the UK I had to go for this:

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Di...eptember2004&file=world_news2004093035844.xml

Probably some other sources too, but this was the first google knew.

Another interesting one google threw up (although from a partial source)

"Others had been forbidden to enter the main hall because they were wearing
anti-war T-shirts. ‘No political statements are allowed on the conference
floor,’ a party official had told them"

see http://www.redpepper.org.uk/Oct2004/x-Oct2004-diary.html

Edwin van der Vaart

Neredbojias said:
Without quill or qualm, Duende quothed:

Duende, you old fart! 'Would've thought your hormones 'been dried up by
now.
Neah, he has refueled his hormones during a holiday.

Neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Edwin van der Vaart quothed:
Neah, he has refueled his hormones during a holiday.

From what I've heard, Duende's *always* on holiday. He's had an easy
life, not like us working stiffs.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Neredbojias scribbled in the mud:
You wouldn't believe how long I waited for it to load before I went back
to picking my nose.

Find anything good?

Travis Newbury

Really, this is an easy one!
...He doesn't think he has made any!

No, how did you come to the conclusion that I agreed that he never made
a mistake. Of course he has. And depending on your convictions, the
number of mistakes you believe he has made will change, as we all think
different things are mistakes.
Think again!

Ok cite your reference. Show me when an acting president said "Well,
that was a mistake", while they were in office.
Think again!

Without a reference that is like saying "naught-awww" in an discussion.

Your frightened and when you scare people they vote republican.

I'm not frightened at all. I just understand that terrorism must be
removed from the earth if we are going to survive. And it's best to
remove it now while it is relatively small.
The war on terrorism is going badly after a good start.

We have a lame duck president that wants to wipe terrorism off the
earth. I think you will see the fight intensify a little over the next
4 years. And I believe that is a good thing. History may prove either
you, I, or even both of us wrong. But we will have to wait and see
which.

Through-out history our species seems to spend a lot of time saying
"Whoa, didn't see that coming..."