    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e :

    Troy Piggins, Sep 8, 2004

  2. Troy Piggins wrote:
    > Is it just my browsers? When I accidentally click on a link that is
    > actually a pdf file, and Acrobat 6 opens up automatically within the
    > browser (IExplorer and Firefox), the pdf opens OK, but if I try to click
    > a link, or go back in history, the browsers lock up for some time - the
    > pdf file takes ages to close.
    >
    > I can't be the only one this happens to - and if not, solutions?

    Might be a bad install of Acrobat. I'd try uninstalling it and then
    reinstalling it first. I've never had that problem.

    Matthew Payne, Sep 9, 2004

  3. Troy Piggins

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:46:14 GMT, Troy Piggins <> wrote:

    > Is it just my browsers? When I accidentally click on a link that is
    > actually a pdf file, and Acrobat 6 opens up automatically within the
    > browser (IExplorer and Firefox), the pdf opens OK, but if I try to click
    > a link, or go back in history, the browsers lock up for some time - the
    > pdf file takes ages to close.
    >
    > I can't be the only one this happens to - and if not, solutions?

    I've never had this happen, but it smells like a corrupted installation.
    Hope you still have the installation exe on the computer. Uninstall
    Acrobat, restart computer, reinstall Acrobat, and try it now.

    Neal, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Troy Piggins <> wrote:

    > Is it just my browsers?

    No.

    > When I accidentally click on a link that is
    > actually a pdf file, and Acrobat 6 opens up automatically within the
    > browser (IExplorer and Firefox), the pdf opens OK, but if I try to
    > click a link, or go back in history, the browsers lock up for some
    > time - the pdf file takes ages to close.

    I have not seen _such_ problems, but it is fairly common to see IE freeze
    when you have clicked on a link to a PDF file. Sometimes I need to boot
    the computer, sometimes it suffices to Ctrl+Alt+Del and kill the IE
    process and the Acrobat Reader process. This typically happens for
    _large_ PDF files. And from what I've heard and read, such problems are
    common.

    Hence, it is generally useful to warn users about PDF format, e.g.
    putting "(PDF)" after or before a link. Users can then e.g. right-click
    on the link, save on disk, and open from disk, which generally works
    fine. Technically you could also put type="application/pdf" into the <a>
    element, but this has by default no effect on rendering, and won't help
    much in other ways either.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 9, 2004
  5. Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Jukka K. Korpela <> [alt.html]:
    <snip-a-rooney>
    > Hence, it is generally useful to warn users about PDF format, e.g.
    > putting "(PDF)" after or before a link. Users can then e.g. right-click
    > on the link, save on disk, and open from disk, which generally works
    > fine. Technically you could also put type="application/pdf" into the <a>
    > element, but this has by default no effect on rendering, and won't help
    > much in other ways either.

    I think it would be nice for the web page designers to make it clear
    what the link will open if anything other than html/jpg etc.

    I am trying a reinstall of Acroreader.

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e :

    Troy Piggins, Sep 9, 2004
  6. Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Neal <> [alt.html]:
    > On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:46:14 GMT, Troy Piggins <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is it just my browsers? When I accidentally click on a link that is
    >> actually a pdf file, and Acrobat 6 opens up automatically within the
    >> browser (IExplorer and Firefox), the pdf opens OK, but if I try to click
    >> a link, or go back in history, the browsers lock up for some time - the
    >> pdf file takes ages to close.
    >>
    >> I can't be the only one this happens to - and if not, solutions?
    >>

    > I've never had this happen, but it smells like a corrupted installation.
    > Hope you still have the installation exe on the computer. Uninstall
    > Acrobat, restart computer, reinstall Acrobat, and try it now.

    You smelled correctly. Reinstall all OK now. Thanks.

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e :

    Troy Piggins, Sep 9, 2004
  7. Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Matthew Payne <> [alt.html]:
    > Troy Piggins wrote:
    >> Is it just my browsers? When I accidentally click on a link that is
    >> actually a pdf file, and Acrobat 6 opens up automatically within the
    >> browser (IExplorer and Firefox), the pdf opens OK, but if I try to click
    >> a link, or go back in history, the browsers lock up for some time - the
    >> pdf file takes ages to close.
    >>
    >> I can't be the only one this happens to - and if not, solutions?
    >>

    > Might be a bad install of Acrobat. I'd try uninstalling it and then
    > reinstalling it first. I've never had that problem.

    Done and fixed. Thankyou.

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e :