    there.

    Please advise.

    Dmitry.
    Dmitry Duginov, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Hi Dmitry,

    Thanks for your posting. From your description. You can't found your
    asp.net application's instances in the server performance counter's certain
    Categories and also the NT AUTHORITY \NETWORKSERVICE account is not in the
    IIS_WPG group, yes?

    Is the win2003 server you mentioned a DC Controller? There is a known
    behavior that When a server is promoted to DC box, there will occur some
    problems on running asp.net/asp applications (IIS host services). And one
    problem is the NETWORKSERVICE BE removed from the IIS_WPG group. If this is
    the problem, I think you can try switch the ASP.NET to run under the SYSTEM
    identity first and also check the performance counter to see whether it
    works( you can also create some other simple asp.net applications to verify
    this).

    Please have a check and if there is any further findings, please feel free
    to post here.
    Thanks.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Dec 3, 2004

  3. "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Dmitry,
    >
    > Thanks for your posting. From your description. You can't found your
    > asp.net application's instances in the server performance counter's

    certain
    > Categories and also the NT AUTHORITY \NETWORKSERVICE account is not in the
    > IIS_WPG group, yes?
    >
    > Is the win2003 server you mentioned a DC Controller? There is a known
    > behavior that When a server is promoted to DC box, there will occur some
    > problems on running asp.net/asp applications (IIS host services). And one
    > problem is the NETWORKSERVICE BE removed from the IIS_WPG group. If this

    is
    > the problem, I think you can try switch the ASP.NET to run under the

    SYSTEM
    > identity first and also check the performance counter to see whether it
    > works( you can also create some other simple asp.net applications to

    verify
    > this).

    Yes, Steven you described the problem correctly. It IS a domain controller.
    But I don't feel like running ASP.NET under SYSTEM account because of
    security concerns.

    What other options could you suggest as a workaround? If I create the
    account equivalent to NETWORK SERVICE (like ASPNET in Windows 2000 server)
    and run ASP.NET under this account, what potential problems I can bump into?
    Is there anything special in NETWORK SERVICE regarding ASP.NET behavior?

    Regards,

    Dmitry.
    Dmitry Duginov, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Thanks for your response Dmitry,

    If you don't want to use SYSTEM, and since its a DC box, maybe you need to
    provide a domain account to run the asp.net application(set it as teh
    process identity in the IIS6's application pool setting). Generally, adding
    the account into IIS_WPG group should be sufficient, you can try that and
    testing your web app to verify this. If there occurs any problems on
    permission, you can have a look at the following kb article which has a
    complete description on the default aspnet process identify's access rights:

    #Process and request identity in ASP.NET
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317012

    BTW, if possible, I still recommend that you consider moving those service
    based application(such asp.net) from DC box to a normal server machine.
    That'll help avoid some unexpected issues.

    Hope helps.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Dec 6, 2004
  5. "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

    > If you don't want to use SYSTEM, and since its a DC box, maybe you need to
    > provide a domain account to run the asp.net application(set it as teh
    > process identity in the IIS6's application pool setting). Generally, adding
    > the account into IIS_WPG group should be sufficient, you can try that and
    > testing your web app to verify this.

    Thanks, that works. I've created MYASPNET account, include it in Users and
    IIS_WPG groups and made appropriate change in processModel.

    > BTW, if possible, I still recommend that you consider moving those service
    > based application(such asp.net) from DC box to a normal server machine.
    > That'll help avoid some unexpected issues.

    That's NOT possible because this is the only server in the domain.

    Thank you for your help.

    Regards,
    Dmitry
    =?Utf-8?B?RG1pdHJ5IER1Z2lub3Y=?=, Dec 6, 2004
  6. You're welcome Dmitry,

    Glad that your application work again. Good luck!

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Dec 7, 2004