Perl compiler

Master Blaster

While wandering through cyberspace on 16 Sep 2006 09:29:17 -0700, Bill H
said
Can anyone recommend a good perl compiler for creating .exe files
running under Dos?

Bill H www.ts1000.us

You might want to consider perl2exe

Sisyphus

Bill H said:
Can anyone recommend a good perl compiler for creating .exe files
running under Dos?

The PAR module has a very good perl2exe utility called 'pp.bat'. There's
usually a windows ppm for it at the uwinnipeg repository (among other
places).

Cheers,
Rob

Ben Morrow

Quoth "Sisyphus said:
The PAR module has a very good perl2exe utility called 'pp.bat'. There's
usually a windows ppm for it at the uwinnipeg repository (among other
places).

You're presuming the OP doesn't actually *mean* DOS... :)

Ben

Bill H

Ben said:
You're presuming the OP doesn't actually *mean* DOS... :)

Ben

Actually I do mean Dos, well command prompt in XP. I do all my Perl
coding outside of windows and want to have a few of my programs
compiled so I do not have to invoke perl each time. I have perl2exe but
was wondering if there were other programs available.

Bill H www.ts1000.us

Sisyphus

..
..
Actually I do mean Dos, well command prompt in XP.

That's commonly referred to as the "DOS shell" - but you're actually
running Windows XP and not DOS (which is a different operating system).
I do all my Perl
coding outside of windows

I *think* you're probably trying to make a distinction between programs run
in the cmd.exe shell and programs run as gui applications. In both case
you're running Windows.
and want to have a few of my programs
compiled so I do not have to invoke perl each time.

You can run your 'script.pl' as 'script.pl' or just 'script' if you set
your file associations appropriately. Enter "ftype /?" (minus the quotes) at
the command prompt.
I have perl2exe but
was wondering if there were other programs available.

IndigoStar and ActiveState both have commercial programs that do that. Iirc,
IndigoStar's is 'perl2exe' and ActiveState's is 'PDK' (Perl Development
Kit).

The free utility that does that is the PAR module. If you're running
ActivePerl then just enter at the prompt (while connected to the internet):

ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/PAR-588.ppd

Then enter "perldoc pp" at the prompt for documentation.

Cheers,
Rob