    Can anyone recommend a good perl compiler for creating .exe files
    running under Dos?

    Bill H www.ts1000.us
    Bill H, Sep 16, 2006

  2. While wandering through cyberspace on 16 Sep 2006 09:29:17 -0700, Bill H
    said
    > Can anyone recommend a good perl compiler for creating .exe files
    > running under Dos?
    >
    > Bill H www.ts1000.us

    You might want to consider perl2exe
    Master Blaster, Sep 16, 2006

  3. Bill H

    Klaus Guest

    Bill H wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good perl compiler for creating .exe files
    > running under Dos?

    perldoc -q compile
    Klaus, Sep 16, 2006
  4. Bill H

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Bill H" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone recommend a good perl compiler for creating .exe files
    > running under Dos?

    The PAR module has a very good perl2exe utility called 'pp.bat'. There's
    usually a windows ppm for it at the uwinnipeg repository (among other
    places).

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Sep 17, 2006
  5. Bill H

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth "Sisyphus" <>:

    > "Bill H" <> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone recommend a good perl compiler for creating .exe files
    > > running under Dos?
    > >

    > The PAR module has a very good perl2exe utility called 'pp.bat'. There's
    > usually a windows ppm for it at the uwinnipeg repository (among other
    > places).

    You're presuming the OP doesn't actually *mean* DOS... :)

    Ben

    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
    Groucho Marx
    Ben Morrow, Sep 17, 2006
  6. Bill H

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Ben Morrow" <> wrote in message
    ..
    ..

    > You're presuming the OP doesn't actually *mean* DOS... :)

    Heh ... indeed I am :)

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Sep 18, 2006
  7. Bill H

    Bill H Guest

    Ben Morrow wrote:
    > Quoth "Sisyphus" <>:
    > >
    > > "Bill H" <> wrote in message
    > > > Can anyone recommend a good perl compiler for creating .exe files
    > > > running under Dos?
    > > >

    > > The PAR module has a very good perl2exe utility called 'pp.bat'. There's
    > > usually a windows ppm for it at the uwinnipeg repository (among other
    > > places).

    > You're presuming the OP doesn't actually *mean* DOS... :)
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > --
    > Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    > Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
    > Groucho Marx

    Actually I do mean Dos, well command prompt in XP. I do all my Perl
    coding outside of windows and want to have a few of my programs
    compiled so I do not have to invoke perl each time. I have perl2exe but
    was wondering if there were other programs available.

    Bill H www.ts1000.us
    Bill H, Sep 18, 2006
  8. Bill H

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Bill H" <> wrote in message
    ..
    ..

    > Actually I do mean Dos, well command prompt in XP.

    That's commonly referred to as the "DOS shell" - but you're actually
    running Windows XP and not DOS (which is a different operating system).

    > I do all my Perl
    > coding outside of windows

    I *think* you're probably trying to make a distinction between programs run
    in the cmd.exe shell and programs run as gui applications. In both case
    you're running Windows.

    > and want to have a few of my programs
    > compiled so I do not have to invoke perl each time.

    You can run your 'script.pl' as 'script.pl' or just 'script' if you set
    your file associations appropriately. Enter "ftype /?" (minus the quotes) at
    the command prompt.

    > I have perl2exe but
    > was wondering if there were other programs available.

    IndigoStar and ActiveState both have commercial programs that do that. Iirc,
    IndigoStar's is 'perl2exe' and ActiveState's is 'PDK' (Perl Development
    Kit).

    The free utility that does that is the PAR module. If you're running
    ActivePerl then just enter at the prompt (while connected to the internet):

    ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/PAR-588.ppd

    Then enter "perldoc pp" at the prompt for documentation.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Sep 18, 2006
  9. Bill H

    VN Guest

    Bill H wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good perl compiler for creating .exe files
    > running under Dos?
    >
    > Bill H www.ts1000.us

    I use ActiveState Perl dev kit.
    VN, Sep 18, 2006