Plauger's book on Standard Library = still valid?

Luke Wu

Hi,

I'm finding myself reinventing the wheel too much in my code (because I
don't know all the functions available in the Standard library) and
would like to purchase a reference like Plauger's book.

Are there any serious incompatiblities with the material in the book
and the current C99 standard? I know C99 adds a lot more than the C89
details in the book, but is anything 'removed' or 'changed (such that
it acts differently)'?

Not looking for a list, but just general summary/ideas/opinions.

Take care all.

Severian

Hi,

I'm finding myself reinventing the wheel too much in my code (because I
don't know all the functions available in the Standard library) and
would like to purchase a reference like Plauger's book.

Are there any serious incompatiblities with the material in the book
and the current C99 standard? I know C99 adds a lot more than the C89
details in the book, but is anything 'removed' or 'changed (such that
it acts differently)'?

Not looking for a list, but just general summary/ideas/opinions.

Take care all.

The C Standard itself covers the standard library functions available,
but I must say Plauger's book was quite educational for me.

The current C99 standard is not completely implemented on many (any?)
platforms, so if portability is an issue, you should probably avoid
most of it for now anyway.

Dan Pop

In said:
Are there any serious incompatiblities with the material in the book
and the current C99 standard? I know C99 adds a lot more than the C89
details in the book, but is anything 'removed' or 'changed (such that
it acts differently)'?

The only option a new standard has WRT changing the behaviour of
existing library functions is to turn undefined behaviour into well
defined behaviour. Otherwise, existing, correct code would stop
working as intended.

Several C89 functions (e.g. freopen, printf, scanf) have been changed
as described above, but these changes don't affect correct C89 code.
So, Plauger's book is still a valid reference for the C89 library subset
of C99.

Dan