plugin on windows

James David Miller

I use Linux and Mozilla 1.6.
I created an applet using java 1.4.
All seems to work fine on my Linux box.
I wanted to go over my stuff with a friend on his windows 98 machine.
(I don't know much about windows)
On his win98 machine we tried running internet explorier.
The applet didn't start.
picked up j2re-1_3_1_11-windows-i586.exe from suns web site and installed.
Applet still would not run in internet explorier.
picked up mozilla-win32-1.6-installer.exe from the mozilla.org and
installed and applet ran first time.
After that the applet would indicate applet notinited. Tried to exit
browser and it crashed. Restarted machine and it indicated that a file
called instit.bat access denied. Install or fix the file or remove it
from win.ini. The applet continues to indicate applet notinited after
rebooting.
Had same kind of experience on XP.
I just don't know enough about windows, if anyone has any ideas,

thanks in advance.

David Miller

Andrew Thompson

I use Linux and Mozilla 1.6.
I created an applet using java 1.4.
All seems to work fine on my Linux box.
I wanted to go over my stuff with a friend on his windows 98 machine.
(I don't know much about windows)
On his win98 machine we tried running internet explorier.
The applet didn't start.
picked up j2re-1_3_1_11-windows-i586.exe from suns web site and installed.
Applet still would not run in internet explorier.

(scratches head) Did the 1_3 in the filename
not warn you that it was a 1.3 Java??
picked up mozilla-win32-1.6-installer.exe from the mozilla.org and
installed and applet ran first time.

In Mozilla, I presume?
After that the applet would indicate applet notinited.

Which browser? Mozilla? IE? Some other
browser you have not mentioned?
..Tried to exit
browser and it crashed.

That sounds like IE.
..Restarted machine and it indicated that a file
called instit.bat access denied. Install or fix the file or remove it
from win.ini. The applet continues to indicate applet notinited after
rebooting.
Had same kind of experience on XP.
I just don't know enough about windows, if anyone has any ideas,

Use Mozilla, if it works. You may need to
select the 1.4 Java in IE options to get
it to use the real Java.
<http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp?pt=deselect>

If there is no 1.4 Java showing, you will
need to get Java. I suggest you get it
directly from Sun.

As far as the missing instit.bat goes, you may
need to edit the win.ini to remove any reference
to it, but I have little confidence that will
solve anything.

(Shrugs) Either that or install Linux on
your friend's PC, which would probably be
quicker, less stress, and more reliable. ;-)