problem displaying MEMO field from ACCESS 2000 on WINDOWS 20003

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by euang, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. euang

    euang Guest

    Hi,

    I have been using access 2000 for two years on WINDOWS NT to display dynamic
    aweb page using ASP

    My ISP has now changed to Windows 2003, and I am having major problems
    displaying information from MEMO fields within the Access 2000 database. I
    have not had any problems before displaying MEMO fields on NT and have tried
    various tips to resolve this issue but no luck so far. I was wondering if
    anyone had come accross a similar problem.

    I have tried the following so far:

    Specifying which columns to use in the SELECT statetment, and not using
    SELECT *
    Adding the memo field I want to display to the last column in the select
    list
    Adding the value to a variable before displaying it.

    I have also tried using the getChunk method, but cannot get this to work,
    the following error appears:

    'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e21'

    Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status
    value, if available. No work was done. '

    I think it is something to do with the Windows 2003 server set up but am at
    a loss as to what it is. I do not have access toit. I have informed my ISP
    and they are also looking into this issue. I've got ten websites to migrate
    in ten days, all of which use the MEMO field to display information, so I am
    getting a little bit worried :-(

    Please can anyone help me?

    Thank you in advance for any time you can spare me on this problem. I have
    been working on this for three days now and feel I have come up against a
    brick wall. I can supply test links if needed?

    Euan Green

    euang, Nov 24, 2003

  2. euang

    Foo Man Chew Guest

    Show your code...

    Foo Man Chew, Nov 24, 2003

  3. euang

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Please do not multipost Euan. This is definitely a database-related question
    so .asp.db was the perfect group in which to post it. Posting it here as
    well did not increase your chances of getting an answer (most of us
    subscribe to both groups). On the contrary, if somebody had taken his time
    to answer it here, only to find that it was already resolved in the other
    group, that person may have been annoyed enough to ignore any future posts
    from you, thereby decreasing your chances of getting help in the future.

    There are times when you will not be sure which group is most appropriate,
    and you will want to post a question to both groups. In that situation, you
    should use the cross-posting technique, rather than posting the same message
    multiple times. To crosspost, put a semicolon-delimited* list of the
    newsgroups to which you wish to post in the To: header of your post and post
    it once. It, and any replies to it, will appear in all the newsgroups in
    your list. So, if I reply in .asp.db, my reply will also appear here in
    ..asp.general.

    * ... or whatever delimiter is recognized by your news client

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows, Nov 24, 2003
  4. euang

    euang Guest

    My apologies,

    The only reason I multi posted is because I have been getting bounced from
    one forum to another, starting with windows nt - 2003 server migration
    forum, then from microsoft.access forums to here. I am just getting
    frustrated that's all, I didn't intend to pxxx anyone off.

    If anyone could find time to help me, despite my multi postings, I would
    greatly appreciate it.

    So what do I do with this apology? multi post it.....????

    My code is attached below.

    Set objRS =Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    objRS.Open "SELECT ID,News_Article2 FROM News ",ObjConn

    Response.Write(objRS.Fields("News_Article2").attributes)

    cchChunkRequested = 16
    Do
    sChunk = objRS.Fields("News_Article2").GetChunk(cchChunkRequested)
    ' Check how much we got
    cchChunkReceived = Len(sChunk)
    ' If we got anything,
    ' concatenate it to the main BLOB
    If cchChunkReceived > 0 Then
    sNotes = sNotes & sChunk
    End If

    Loop While cchChunkReceived = cchChunkRequested
    'Close the recordset
    objRS.Close
    response.write(sNotes)

    TIA

    Euan

    euang, Nov 24, 2003
  5. euang

    Foo Man Chew Guest

    > Set objRS =Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    > objRS.Open "SELECT ID,News_Article2 FROM News ",ObjConn

    Set objRS = objConn.execute("SELECT ID, ...")

    > Response.Write(objRS.Fields("News_Article2").attributes)

    I don't understand this. I don't believe the Fields collection has an
    attributes property. Did you mean to obtain the column named "attributes"?
    What exactly are you attempting to display? You can return the column's
    value this way:

    Response.Write(objRS("News_Article2"))

    Foo Man Chew, Nov 24, 2003
  6. euang

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Foo Man Chew wrote:
    >> Set objRS =Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    >> objRS.Open "SELECT ID,News_Article2 FROM News ",ObjConn

    > Set objRS = objConn.execute("SELECT ID, ...")
    >
    >> Response.Write(objRS.Fields("News_Article2").attributes)

    > I don't understand this. I don't believe the Fields collection has an
    > attributes property.

    the collection itself doesn't, but the Field object does.

    > Did you mean to obtain the column named
    > "attributes"? What exactly are you attempting to display? You can
    > return the column's value this way:
    >
    > Response.Write(objRS("News_Article2"))

    I'm assuming the above was an attempt to figure out why your suggested code
    was not working.

    Please follow up in .asp.db. We don't want two conversations going on. This
    is a database-related question, so that should be the group to use.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows, Nov 24, 2003
  7. euang

    euang Guest

    Yes,

    I was trying to find out what attributes the field object has,there's a
    property called:

    adFldLong ( a constant)

    which if is set to true allows the getChunk method to be used. Iw as trying
    to find out if this was set to true or not, but it seems it is a rather
    wierd process of finding this out, convert the hex number (in this case it
    is 230) to binary etc
    http://dev.live-work-relax.co.uk/test.asp

    I also generated a page of the connection properties

    http://dev.live-work-relax.co.uk/test2.asp

    I thought that the
    Maximum Row Size Includes BLOB: False

    might be the cause of the problem also, but am not sure.

    I should be able to do this, it seems a very straightforward issue. Has
    anyone else got an access2000 database running on a new windows 2003 server
    and is able to display memo fields? (it is only text that is being stored in
    these memo fields)

    Thanks again

    euang, Nov 24, 2003
  8. euang