Problem with frames in Golive CS....

Nook

I posted to the Adobe Forum, but got no answer, figured you guys might
be helpful. When I create a new site in GoLive CS, I open the
index.html page and while in layout view try to insert a frame, but
instead of getting a frame, i get the following text
inserted. This is a screenshot of what I get when I drag a frame
object into the page:

http://www.syracopolis.com/error.jpg

Adrienne

I posted to the Adobe Forum, but got no answer, figured you guys might
be helpful. When I create a new site in GoLive CS, I open the
index.html page and while in layout view try to insert a frame, but
instead of getting a frame, i get the following text
inserted. This is a screenshot of what I get when I drag a frame
object into the page:

http://www.syracopolis.com/error.jpg

Well, there's your problem, partner, frames. Google for why Frames are
Evil, then Google for CSS two column and then Google for Include One File
in Another.

Nook

Do you know how to write the frames in simple doc.html in say notebook? Or
is your question absolutely tied to GoLive? Is there a pressing need to use
GoLive for creating some frames based web pages. Perhaps a bit more context
of what you are doing. I ask because if it is about GoLive, you might be out
of luck here, if it is not, then you will have more luck.

dorayme

Thanks for the reply. Basically i'm just fooling around, done a good
many tutorials and wanted to give a go at a small webpage. The frames
use to work just a few days ago, but from the way everyone seems to
tell me, I shouldn't even screw with frames. When using GoLive to
create a webpage, what would you reccommend, tables or layout grid?

dorayme

From: Nook said:
Thanks for the reply. Basically i'm just fooling around, done a good many
tutorials and wanted to give a go at a small webpage. The frames use to work
just a few days ago, but from the way everyone seems to tell me, I shouldn't
even screw with frames. When using GoLive to create a webpage, what would you
reccommend, tables or layout grid?

Sorry, I would not recommend GoLive and know little about it. You may or may
not find the following true or useful. It sounds a bit like you are new to
HTML and CSS. If this is this case, I would put the program aside for now
and make a few simple web pages using a simple text editor. I use BBEdit on
a Mac, others use from very plain notepad to fancier. I would say a bit
fancier than notepad to make you comfortable but still be writing the html
mark up fairly directly with little overhead or fancy software that
can-do-everything-if-you-spend-lots-of-time-knowing-how-to-use-it-and-get-to
-know-all-its-limittions-bugs-etc. See some contemporaneous posts for free
editors.

As for choice of layout, it depends on what you are doing. A few lists, divs
and <p>s will get you an amazing far way. Lot with a little. A bit of css to
style the html in the head or in a separate style sheet and Bob will start
being your uncle... As you get better you may or may not want to go back to
GoLive.

If you want to make a frames based website to see how it all works, go
ahead, it is fun. There are some probs with frames and you can see what
these are from scanning the many posts on the subject on this newsgroup.

Perhaps try as far as you can to write simple html and use tables only for
obvious tabular data and not general webpage layout. But if you find it
tough going without tables, use some tables for some layout till you find
out how to do things better.

The general idea that is compelling a lot of designers these days is the
separation of style from content. You will doubtless have come across this
idea from your many tutorials and it is worth comprehending it. But nothing
evil will happen if you cannot achieve this separation totally. Compare the
evil that occurs when state and church are not separated... but now, don't
get me started.

dorayme