    inserted. This is a screenshot of what I get when I drag a frame
    object into the page:

    http://www.syracopolis.com/error.jpg

    Nook, Jul 18, 2005

  2. Nook

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Nook <> writing
    in news::

    > I posted to the Adobe Forum, but got no answer, figured you guys might
    > be helpful. When I create a new site in GoLive CS, I open the
    > index.html page and while in layout view try to insert a frame, but
    > instead of getting a frame, i get the following text
    > inserted. This is a screenshot of what I get when I drag a frame
    > object into the page:
    >
    > http://www.syracopolis.com/error.jpg

    Well, there's your problem, partner, frames. Google for why Frames are
    Evil, then Google for CSS two column and then Google for Include One File
    in Another.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Jul 18, 2005

  3. Nook

    Nook Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:04:48 +0000, dorayme <>
    wrote:

    >> From: Nook <>
    >>
    >> I posted to the Adobe Forum, but got no answer, figured you guys might
    >> be helpful. When I create a new site in GoLive CS, I open the
    >> index.html page and while in layout view try to insert a frame, but
    >> instead of getting a frame, i get the following text
    >> inserted. This is a screenshot of what I get when I drag a frame
    >> object into the page:
    >>
    >> http://www.syracopolis.com/error.jpg

    >Do you know how to write the frames in simple doc.html in say notebook? Or
    >is your question absolutely tied to GoLive? Is there a pressing need to use
    >GoLive for creating some frames based web pages. Perhaps a bit more context
    >of what you are doing. I ask because if it is about GoLive, you might be out
    >of luck here, if it is not, then you will have more luck.
    >
    >dorayme

    Thanks for the reply. Basically i'm just fooling around, done a good
    many tutorials and wanted to give a go at a small webpage. The frames
    use to work just a few days ago, but from the way everyone seems to
    tell me, I shouldn't even screw with frames. When using GoLive to
    create a webpage, what would you reccommend, tables or layout grid?

    Nook, Jul 19, 2005
  4. Nook

    dorayme Guest

    dorayme, Jul 19, 2005
  5. Nook

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Nook <>
    >
    > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:04:48 +0000, dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    >>> From: Nook <>
    >>>
    >>> I posted to the Adobe Forum, but got no answer, figured you guys might be
    >>> helpful. When I create a new site in GoLive CS, I open the index.html page
    >>> and while in layout view try to insert a frame, but instead of getting a
    >>> frame, i get the following text inserted. This is a screenshot of what I
    >>> get when I drag a frame object into the page:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.syracopolis.com/error.jpg
    >>>

    >> Do you know how to write the frames in simple doc.html in say notebook? Or is
    >> your question absolutely tied to GoLive? Is there a pressing need to use
    >> GoLive for creating some frames based web pages. Perhaps a bit more context
    >> of what you are doing. I ask because if it is about GoLive, you might be out
    >> of luck here, if it is not, then you will have more luck.
    >>
    >> dorayme
    >>

    > Thanks for the reply. Basically i'm just fooling around, done a good many
    > tutorials and wanted to give a go at a small webpage. The frames use to work
    > just a few days ago, but from the way everyone seems to tell me, I shouldn't
    > even screw with frames. When using GoLive to create a webpage, what would you
    > reccommend, tables or layout grid?

    Sorry, I would not recommend GoLive and know little about it. You may or may
    not find the following true or useful. It sounds a bit like you are new to
    HTML and CSS. If this is this case, I would put the program aside for now
    and make a few simple web pages using a simple text editor. I use BBEdit on
    a Mac, others use from very plain notepad to fancier. I would say a bit
    fancier than notepad to make you comfortable but still be writing the html
    mark up fairly directly with little overhead or fancy software that
    can-do-everything-if-you-spend-lots-of-time-knowing-how-to-use-it-and-get-to
    -know-all-its-limittions-bugs-etc. See some contemporaneous posts for free
    editors.

    As for choice of layout, it depends on what you are doing. A few lists, divs
    and <p>s will get you an amazing far way. Lot with a little. A bit of css to
    style the html in the head or in a separate style sheet and Bob will start
    being your uncle... As you get better you may or may not want to go back to
    GoLive.

    If you want to make a frames based website to see how it all works, go
    ahead, it is fun. There are some probs with frames and you can see what
    these are from scanning the many posts on the subject on this newsgroup.

    Perhaps try as far as you can to write simple html and use tables only for
    obvious tabular data and not general webpage layout. But if you find it
    tough going without tables, use some tables for some layout till you find
    out how to do things better.

    The general idea that is compelling a lot of designers these days is the
    separation of style from content. You will doubtless have come across this
    idea from your many tutorials and it is worth comprehending it. But nothing
    evil will happen if you cannot achieve this separation totally. Compare the
    evil that occurs when state and church are not separated... but now, don't
    get me started.

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 19, 2005