PyCon opportunities

Steve Holden

As the final submissions deadline approaches the PSF has taken an
initiative which might help you attend if finance is one of the things
that's been holding you back. Three resolutions passed today are
intended to encourage attendance at PyCon.

I would like to publicize these opportunities as widely as possible to
emphasize that they are available to any eligible applicant.

1. Students at accredited institutions can apply for a "gopher"
position, which grants them free admission to the conference in exchange
for administrative assistance of the conference, under the direction of
the organizing committee.

As conference chair I have to approve such applications. If you are a
student, please get in touch if you are interested in helping in this
way. Numbers are strictly limited, and paying delegates are also welcome
as "gophers". This system worked well last year, and we hope to make it
more useful still this time around.

2. Monies from the silver sponsorships can be allocated to help defray
costs associated with sponsor-selected sprints, up to a maximum of $500.
Each silver sponsor can choose which sprint to allocate the funds to.
The sprint leader and the sprint chair must agree on how the monies are
to be disbursed. Any reimbursement for travel or other expenses must be
made based on submission of receipts.

3. Sprint leaders who organize and run sprints with at least two other
full-time attendants get waived admission to the conference if they want
it.

Those wishing to take advantage of these latter two offers should
contact the PSF directly at (e-mail address removed).

While I'm not a PSF Board member, and therefore cannot speak for the
Board, it seems to me that this is their way of trying to ensure that
PyCon benefits from having more of the best Python brains present at the
conference. I'd like to thank them for this support, and I hope all
readers will appreciate their gesture. I hope that in future we will see
the PSF promoting other development and educational activities with
equal enthusiasm.

See you at PyCon!

regards