Python Wiki & wiki Hosting?

Eric @ Zomething

Greetings Comrades, Pythonistas!

I am looking for guidance on the quick and easiest path to set up a Python wiki.

A wiki application idea popped into my head while I was making morning coffee. It's not what I should be thinking about, but I hate to let an interesting idea die an unexplored death. One of the aspects of Python I am enamored with is the ease with which I can explore a idea without overplanning and committing to it (during which process I would likely find such ideas below a threshold priority level). Python encourages me to explore potential innovation, and hare-brain ideas. Perhaps mostly the latter, but it is fun which Python's ease of use gives me license to. :)

Thus I am looking for a wiki I can set-up on someone else's host with low effort analogous to launching the Python interpreter.

Can anyone recommend an approach from their experience or knowledge?

I believe I've thoroughly done the 'python wiki' Google in the past and wound up lost in readme.txt hell.

Where would I host a Python wiki? - I assume I need more host control than simple FTP access. Do I need my own server or 'server instance'?

Oh, jeez, I wanted to make this a simple project to start, but should I write a standalone server/wiki?

[No, non, no! What is the quick and easiest path to set up a Python wiki?]

Eric Pederson
'''wanting to get wik'ed, easy'''

Doug Holton

Eric said:
I am looking for guidance on the quick and easiest path to set up a Python wiki.
(and wiki hosting)

You need to purchase a shared web hosting account that allows you to run
CGI scripts and gives you shell access (not just ftp access, you connect
using an ssh client), such as at pair.com, but of course there are other
hosts to choose from.

Then you can install moinmoin or phpwiki or pmwiki or whatever you want.

But here are some free solutions:
-www.seedwiki.com lets you start a wiki for free
-if you have a cable internet connection and the cable provider allows
it, you can run the wiki engine off your own computer. There are some
standalone wiki engines that make that easier, but installing the apache
web server and php/python is easy too. Then use a service like
http://www.zoneedit.com/ so you have a permanent domain name to point
people to your wiki.

Wilk

Doug Holton said:
(and wiki hosting)

You need to purchase a shared web hosting account that allows you to
run CGI scripts and gives you shell access (not just ftp access, you
connect using an ssh client), such as at pair.com, but of course there
are other hosts to choose from.

Why do you say that he need a shell access ?