Pythonwin crashes

accolades

Does anyone else have a problem with Pythonwin crashing after running a
python script with graphics libraries? Whenever I use Pythonwin to run
a PyGame or PyOgre script, Pythonwin crashes when the script exits.

I know it's probably because the Pythonwin interpreter can't read from
the console once the graphics mode has been changed, but has anyone
discovered a workaround? I'd like to know if this problem is specific
to my machine, or if others have witnessed this.

Thanks
Tim

Lucas Raab

accolades said:
Does anyone else have a problem with Pythonwin crashing after running a
python script with graphics libraries? Whenever I use Pythonwin to run
a PyGame or PyOgre script, Pythonwin crashes when the script exits.

I know it's probably because the Pythonwin interpreter can't read from
the console once the graphics mode has been changed, but has anyone
discovered a workaround? I'd like to know if this problem is specific
to my machine, or if others have witnessed this.

Thanks
Tim

I think it's pretty much universal. Pythonwin crashes when you run
programs with Tk in them.

--
--------------------------
Lucas Raab

Steve Holden

Lucas said:
I think it's pretty much universal. Pythonwin crashes when you run
programs with Tk in them.

The problem is that PythonWin uses MFC-based windowing, and runs
programs as a part of the same process that the IDE itself runs in.

This means that there are conflicting requirements for windowing, and
this can lead to PythonWin getting confused enough to crash and die.

To avoid this you need a development system that uses a remote debugging
technique - WingIDE, for example, can successfully debug programs based
on Tkinter, wxPython and other graphical toolkits, because the programs
it runs are run as separate processes.

regards
Steve