Question about ASP.NET login controls and the SQL Server tables created by aspnet_regsql

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Ted, Feb 10, 2007.

  1. Ted

    Ted Guest

    In the table dbo.aspnet_Users, I see an Application ID, a userID, both
    of which look like a random string.

    There are also UserName, LoweredUserName, MobileAlias, IsAnonymous and
    LastActivityDate fields.

    In dbo.aspnet_Membership, I see the other information I provided when
    I created test users, though some of the data appears to be encrypted.

    This is all well and good, but I have questions.

    For most of this, I am not too concerned about it as long as it works,
    but I want to know if the ASP login controls (Login, LoginName,
    LoginStatus, &c.) provide access to the random looking UserID field.
    And a related question is, "Is that UserID guaranteed to be unique?"
    If the ASP.NET controls don't provide access to the UserID field, how
    can I construct an SQL query, for use in a datasource server control,
    that is guaranteed to give me the correct ID the moment a user has
    either been created or successfully logged in? I know the statement
    has to be parameterized, but what exactly would the parameter be and
    how is it filled (and would I do this declaratively or in code)?
    Finally, how can I configure things so that the same login credentials
    can be used for two or more applications on the server (i.e
    implementation of a single sign-on for those applications a given user
    is authorized to use - and this may be many but not necessarily all of
    the applications on the server).

    Thanks

    Ted
    Ted, Feb 10, 2007