    better starting from scratch?
    I know about as much HTML as you could write on something very small indeed!

    Thanks.

    Stone Cold, Feb 25, 2006

  2. Stone Cold

    Alan Cole Guest

    In article <jm4Mf.58920$>,
    Stone Cold <> wrote:

    > I wish to build/buy/beg a simple site for advertising certain items.
    > People with these items to sell, would email me their ad and I'd insert
    > the ad with photo(s).
    >
    > Is there anything already available, free or otherwise? Or would I be
    > better starting from scratch?
    > I know about as much HTML as you could write on something very small indeed!
    >
    > Thanks.

    There are plenty of scripts available to do this sort of thing...
    Although some knowledge of html and the scripting language used to build
    them would be an advantage if you want to customise them. Many hosting
    packages even offer one click installation of some of the packages (the
    ones I use do) which makes installing them really simple. Whats more,
    most of them will allow your advertisers to add their own
    adverts/photo(s) so freeing you up from doing the donkey work. Maybe
    something like this will help:

    http://classifieds.phpoutsourcing.com/features.php

    Al.

    --
    Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
    http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]

    Alan Cole, Feb 25, 2006

  3. Stone Cold

    Stone Cold Guest

    Alan Cole wrote:

    > There are plenty of scripts available to do this sort of thing...
    > Although some knowledge of html and the scripting language used to build
    > them would be an advantage if you want to customise them. Many hosting
    > packages even offer one click installation of some of the packages (the
    > ones I use do) which makes installing them really simple. Whats more,
    > most of them will allow your advertisers to add their own
    > adverts/photo(s) so freeing you up from doing the donkey work. Maybe
    > something like this will help:
    >
    > http://classifieds.phpoutsourcing.com/features.php

    Wow, that looks ideal. Thanks very much Alan :)

    Stone Cold, Feb 25, 2006
  4. Stone Cold

    Stone Cold Guest

    Stone Cold wrote:

    > Wow, that looks ideal. Thanks very much Alan :)

    Right, I checked that out. Looks good, but I need to have MySql database
    server, and Php4 script module 2 "on my unit", which I presume is my
    webspace. I'm slightly lost here..

    Webspace with those, costs more than I was expecting to pay, but there's
    much cheaper webhosting with ASP, complied CGI, PHP, Perl and SSI.
    Now I'm really lost!

    Can anyone advise?

    Stone Cold, Feb 25, 2006
  5. Stone Cold

    Chris Beall Guest

    Stone Cold wrote:

    > Stone Cold wrote:
    >
    >> Wow, that looks ideal. Thanks very much Alan :)

    > Right, I checked that out. Looks good, but I need to have MySql database
    > server, and Php4 script module 2 "on my unit", which I presume is my
    > webspace. I'm slightly lost here..

    Um, why do you need these things? Your initial post said the page would
    contain adverts which you would place there after people sent them to
    you. That requirement can be met with HTML alone (OK, probably a bit of
    CSS). What didn't you tell us?

    > Webspace with those, costs more than I was expecting to pay, but there's
    > much cheaper webhosting with ASP, complied CGI, PHP, Perl and SSI.
    > Now I'm really lost!
    >
    > Can anyone advise?

    Google just announced a new thingy that might be useful, but I don't
    know if they will permit its use for commercial sites. See
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20060224/tc_nf/41805. Looks like you first
    have to have a Gmail account.

    Chris Beall

    Chris Beall, Feb 26, 2006
  6. Stone Cold

    Alan Cole Guest

    In article <_Q5Mf.54244$>,
    Stone Cold <> wrote:

    > Stone Cold wrote:
    >
    > > Wow, that looks ideal. Thanks very much Alan :)

    > Right, I checked that out. Looks good, but I need to have MySql database
    > server, and Php4 script module 2 "on my unit", which I presume is my
    > webspace. I'm slightly lost here..
    >
    > Webspace with those, costs more than I was expecting to pay, but there's
    > much cheaper webhosting with ASP, complied CGI, PHP, Perl and SSI.
    > Now I'm really lost!

    Glad you like the look of the classifieds script I mentioned...

    As far as hosting goes, how much were you expecting to pay, and how much
    webspace / bandwidth do you need??

    Al.

    Alan Cole, Feb 26, 2006
  7. Stone Cold

    Stone Cold Guest

    Alan Cole wrote:

    > Glad you like the look of the classifieds script I mentioned...
    >
    > As far as hosting goes, how much were you expecting to pay, and how much
    > webspace / bandwidth do you need??

    At first, I was expecting to pay just a few pounds, but that classifieds
    script needs My SQL and php4 on the server, and I've discovered servers
    carrying these cost a fair bit more. So far, I've found one for £32 a
    year, which isn't too bad. I'd have to finance it myself though, as it
    won't be a commercial site. Not at first anyway.

    A friend has now offered me help with stuff I don't understand, so
    hopefully I'm sorted. Thanks again!

    Stone Cold, Feb 26, 2006
  8. Stone Cold

    Stone Cold Guest

    Chris Beall wrote:

    > Stone Cold wrote:
    >
    >> Stone Cold wrote:
    >> Right, I checked that out. Looks good, but I need to have MySql
    >> database server, and Php4 script module 2 "on my unit", which I
    >> presume is my webspace. I'm slightly lost here..

    > Um, why do you need these things? Your initial post said the page would
    > contain adverts which you would place there after people sent them to
    > you. That requirement can be met with HTML alone (OK, probably a bit of
    > CSS). What didn't you tell us?

    I checked out that classified ads script that Al linked me too. It
    requires MySQL and php4. i didn't know this at the time. In fact I'd
    never heard of them!

    I would like to do the whole thing with HTML, but unfortunately I have
    little knowledge of it. It would enable me to use a much cheaper host
    though! With that script though, advertisers can post their own ads,
    which will save me some work.

    Sgould I look into using Nvu or similar to build this site? Can software
    like that help me build a site like I want?

    > Google just announced a new thingy that might be useful, but I don't
    > know if they will permit its use for commercial sites. See
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20060224/tc_nf/41805. Looks like you first
    > have to have a Gmail account.

    I have a Gmail account, and I'm off to check-out that link. Thanks :)

    Stone Cold, Feb 26, 2006
  9. Stone Cold

    Alan Cole Guest

    In article <DjlMf.52477$>,
    Stone Cold <> wrote:

    > Alan Cole wrote:
    > >
    > > Glad you like the look of the classifieds script I mentioned...
    > >
    > > As far as hosting goes, how much were you expecting to pay, and how much
    > > webspace / bandwidth do you need??

    > At first, I was expecting to pay just a few pounds, but that classifieds
    > script needs My SQL and php4 on the server, and I've discovered servers
    > carrying these cost a fair bit more. So far, I've found one for £32 a
    > year, which isn't too bad. I'd have to finance it myself though, as it
    > won't be a commercial site. Not at first anyway.
    >
    > A friend has now offered me help with stuff I don't understand, so
    > hopefully I'm sorted. Thanks again!

    No problem.... Although you can get cheaper hosting than that if that
    really is a problem.

    Al.

    Alan Cole, Feb 26, 2006
  10. Stone Cold

    Jim Higson Guest

    Stone Cold wrote:

    > Alan Cole wrote:
    >>
    >> Glad you like the look of the classifieds script I mentioned...
    >>
    >> As far as hosting goes, how much were you expecting to pay, and how much
    >> webspace / bandwidth do you need??

    > At first, I was expecting to pay just a few pounds, but that classifieds
    > script needs My SQL and php4 on the server, and I've discovered servers
    > carrying these cost a fair bit more. So far, I've found one for £32 a
    > year, which isn't too bad. I'd have to finance it myself though, as it
    > won't be a commercial site. Not at first anyway.
    >
    > A friend has now offered me help with stuff I don't understand, so
    > hopefully I'm sorted. Thanks again!

    Providing they don't change very often, you could always use the PHP/MySQL
    app to make the pages on your own computer, then capture the HTML and put
    it up as static pages. In it's simplest form, you'd just save the HTML
    served from your local machine using a browser and upload it to the server.

    However, that'd mean setting up PHP and MySQL on your own machine. Both of
    these cost nothing, but are not easy to set up on Windows.

    --
    Jim

    Jim Higson, Feb 26, 2006
  11. Stone Cold

    Stone Cold Guest

    Alan Cole wrote:

    >>At first, I was expecting to pay just a few pounds, but that classifieds
    >>script needs My SQL and php4 on the server, and I've discovered servers
    >>carrying these cost a fair bit more. So far, I've found one for £32 a
    >>year, which isn't too bad. I'd have to finance it myself though, as it
    >>won't be a commercial site. Not at first anyway.
    >>
    >>A friend has now offered me help with stuff I don't understand, so
    >>hopefully I'm sorted. Thanks again!

    > No problem.... Although you can get cheaper hosting than that if that
    > really is a problem.

    Can you recommend or link me to any particular hosting co?

    This is the one I've been looking at. They appear quite user-friendly,
    so appeal to me, as a complete novice!
    http://www.streamlinenet.co.uk/pu.php

    Stone Cold, Feb 26, 2006
  12. Stone Cold

    Stone Cold Guest

    Jim Higson wrote:

    > Providing they don't change very often, you could always use the PHP/MySQL
    > app to make the pages on your own computer, then capture the HTML and put
    > it up as static pages. In it's simplest form, you'd just save the HTML
    > served from your local machine using a browser and upload it to the server.
    >
    > However, that'd mean setting up PHP and MySQL on your own machine. Both of
    > these cost nothing, but are not easy to set up on Windows.

    Hopefully the pages would change quite often as people post ads.
    Besides, I don't want any more headaches or challenges just yet.

    Thanks for your reply :)

    Stone Cold, Feb 26, 2006
  13. Stone Cold

    Alan Cole Guest

    In article <aDmMf.54576$>,
    Stone Cold <> wrote:

    > Alan Cole wrote:
    >
    > >>At first, I was expecting to pay just a few pounds, but that classifieds
    > >>script needs My SQL and php4 on the server, and I've discovered servers
    > >>carrying these cost a fair bit more. So far, I've found one for £32 a
    > >>year, which isn't too bad. I'd have to finance it myself though, as it
    > >>won't be a commercial site. Not at first anyway.
    > >>
    > >>A friend has now offered me help with stuff I don't understand, so
    > >>hopefully I'm sorted. Thanks again!

    > > No problem.... Although you can get cheaper hosting than that if that
    > > really is a problem.

    > Can you recommend or link me to any particular hosting co?

    I've sent you an e-mail as I could sort you out a hosting package, but
    don't like posting blatant plugs in newsgroups.

    Al.

    Alan Cole, Feb 26, 2006
  14. Stone Cold

    David Graham Guest

    "Alan Cole" <> wrote in message
    > In article <aDmMf.54576$>,
    > Stone Cold <> wrote:

    classifieds

    servers

    > > > No problem.... Although you can get cheaper hosting than that if that
    > > > really is a problem.

    > > Can you recommend or link me to any particular hosting co?
    > >

    > I've sent you an e-mail as I could sort you out a hosting package, but
    > don't like posting blatant plugs in newsgroups.
    >
    > Al.
    >
    > --
    > Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
    > http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]
    > http://www.pixelwave.co.uk [Website Design, hosting and promotion]

    I would like this email as well - I'm looking for something similar to Stone
    Cold
    bye
    David

    David Graham, Feb 27, 2006
  15. Stone Cold

    David Graham Guest

    BTW - I get 'could not connect to server' when I try to go to
    pixelwave.co.uk

    David Graham, Feb 27, 2006
  16. Stone Cold

    David Graham Guest

    sorry it comes up now]

    David Graham, Feb 27, 2006
  17. Barbara de Zoete, Feb 27, 2006
  18. Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    > > sorry it comes up now]

    > Come again?

    Am I reading too much into this or are they having "Google groups sex"?

    Travis Newbury, Feb 27, 2006
  19. Stone Cold

    Els Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >
    >>> sorry it comes up now]

    >> Come again?

    > Am I reading too much into this or are they having "Google groups sex"?

    It sounds like sex, but they're not using Google Groups. Do I have to
    assume that the term "Google Groups sex" (which shouldn't be mistaken
    for Google group sex) comes from you own imagination then, and if so,
    care to elaborate on how it got there? ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Feb 27, 2006
  20. Els wrote:
    > >> Come again?

    > > Am I reading too much into this or are they having "Google groups sex"?

    > It sounds like sex, but they're not using Google Groups. Do I have to
    > assume that the term "Google Groups sex" (which shouldn't be mistaken
    > for Google group sex) comes from you own imagination then, and if so,
    > care to elaborate on how it got there? ;-)

    I'm not wearing any pants right now......

    Travis Newbury, Feb 27, 2006