Question about getting JBoss running

Adam Sandler

Hello,

I'm trying to get started with JBoss and I found this link on how to
deploy one's first web app... http://centerkey.com/jboss/

When I get to the last step, and I try to go http://localhost:8080/helloworld/hi.jsp,
I get a page not found error.

Is the page not found error thrown because the server doesn't know
what the path to the helloworld folder on the file system is? Or is
it because the instructions state to create a local folder of
"HelloWorld" and the URL contains "helloworld".

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Arne Vajhøj

Adam said:
I'm trying to get started with JBoss and I found this link on how to
deploy one's first web app... http://centerkey.com/jboss/

When I get to the last step, and I try to go http://localhost:8080/helloworld/hi.jsp,
I get a page not found error.

Is the page not found error thrown because the server doesn't know
what the path to the helloworld folder on the file system is? Or is
it because the instructions state to create a local folder of
"HelloWorld" and the URL contains "helloworld".

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Did you get any errors when deploying ?

Arne

Manish Pandit

Hello,

I'm trying to get started with JBoss and I found this link on how to
deploy one's first web app...http://centerkey.com/jboss/

When I get to the last step, and I try to gohttp://localhost:8080/helloworld/hi.jsp,
I get a page not found error.

Is the page not found error thrown because the server doesn't know
what the path to the helloworld folder on the file system is? Or is
it because the instructions state to create a local folder of
"HelloWorld" and the URL contains "helloworld".

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you did not get any deployment errors, the context name should be
the same as the folder name in this case. Can you try
http://localhost:8080/HelloWorld/hi.jsp? If not, you might want to log
on to the admin console and find out which context did the webapp end
up being deployed to.

-cheers,
Manish

gaijinco

As a matter of fact I'm also having problems using JBoss!

I don't understand what is the root directory for the localhost, where
do I put a file "test.jsp" to check it as: localhost:8080/test.jsp

I have also a confusion: In the installation guide it says that JBoss
uses Tomcat. It means it needs Tomcat installed or it gets installed
with JBoss.

Thanks.

Donkey Hot

As a matter of fact I'm also having problems using JBoss!

I don't understand what is the root directory for the localhost, where
do I put a file "test.jsp" to check it as: localhost:8080/test.jsp

I have also a confusion: In the installation guide it says that JBoss
uses Tomcat. It means it needs Tomcat installed or it gets installed
with JBoss.

Thanks.

Web Applications (as they call applications on a servlet container) are
deployed with certain structure in a WAR-file. In addition to the jsp-pages
there is a web.xml which tells the "context" part of the application.

You might want to create "test" application having an index.jsp.. meaning
http://localhost:8090/test/index.jsp where the index.jsp does not have to
be in the URL, index.jsp will be a "welcome page" (also configurable in the
web.xml), so that url is http://localhost:8090/test/

A web app is easy to build with some good IDE, I prefer NetBeans.

In NetBeans, create a new project "test", as a Web Application. Add a new
Web Page there, index.jsp. NetBeans should create the web.xml you you, and
it has also a special editor for it.

When you build the project, IDE creates test.war to the project/dist -
folder.

Drop that WAR to the server/default/deploy folder in JBoss, and there it
is! http://localhost:8090/test/ should be ready for prime time now!

Tom Anderson

As a matter of fact I'm also having problems using JBoss!

I don't understand what is the root directory for the localhost, where
do I put a file "test.jsp" to check it as: localhost:8080/test.jsp

As Donkey Hot (what were his parents thinking!) pointed out, you don't.
You deploy a WAR.

I think there is a hack whereby you can get JBoss to serve from a
directory rather than an archive. We use something similar where i work to
have JBoss load its classes out of the Eclipse workspace, so we don't need
to redeploy all the time when testing.
I have also a confusion: In the installation guide it says that JBoss
uses Tomcat. It means it needs Tomcat installed or it gets installed
with JBoss.

It comes as part of JBoss.

tom

Arne Vajhøj

Lew said:
What were yours?

I speculate that their parents didn't come up with their Usenet handle.

That sounds so likely that approximates certainty.

Most pre-WWW people just use their name and/or email
address for usenet.

But younger people sometimes use nicks that they are also
using in other fora (some which may be slightly less
serious than c.l.j.p.).

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Lew said:
Normally one would never have such a URL. One would have an
application, call it "foo", and the URL would include the protocol:

http://somehost:8080/foo/index.jsp

You don't have a protocol, so nothing will know how to dereference it.

Most browsers will default to HTTP as protocol.

I am 99.99% sure that the original poster needs to
put the app in the URL, but it is possible to define
a root app.

Arne

Donkey Hot

That sounds so likely that approximates certainty.

Most pre-WWW people just use their name and/or email
address for usenet.

But younger people sometimes use nicks that they are also
using in other fora (some which may be slightly less
serious than c.l.j.p.).

Arne

I can assure you, that I existed before www. But still I realised that if I
write with my real name, my real name will reveal my identity, after I have
written some trash to usenet while being drunk.

I prefer to be a humorous version of Don Quixote in usenet, because I
pretty much am drunk when I write here.

Tom Anderson

*facepalm*

Yes. I realised that. I was making a joke.
I can assure you, that I existed before www. But still I realised that
if I write with my real name, my real name will reveal my identity,
after I have written some trash to usenet while being drunk.

I prefer to be a humorous version of Don Quixote in usenet, because I
pretty much am drunk when I write here.

This is a very sage stratagem.

tom