Question on Existing ASP.NET 2.0 Code

Anthony Bollinger

I have taken over an existing ASP.NET project. The entire site is
functional and working. When I FTP into the site, I can see all of the
..aspx files, but cannot see any of the .aspx.vb files. Here is a header
from one of the files:

<%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="default.aspx.vb"
Inherits="vwma._default"%>

For example, in this directory, there is no default.aspx.vb file. In fact,
there are no *.vb files anywhere on the site, but the site is fully
functional. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tony

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=

Anthony said:
I have taken over an existing ASP.NET project. The entire site is
functional and working. When I FTP into the site, I can see all of the
.aspx files, but cannot see any of the .aspx.vb files. Here is a header
from one of the files:

<%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="default.aspx.vb"
Inherits="vwma._default"%>

For example, in this directory, there is no default.aspx.vb file. In fact,
there are no *.vb files anywhere on the site, but the site is fully
functional. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tony

The vb files are not needed when the application is deployed. All the
code is in the dll files in the bin folder.

If you want to make any code changes, you need the development project,
where all the vb files are.

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

Anthony said:
I have taken over an existing ASP.NET project. The entire site is
functional and working. When I FTP into the site, I can see all of the
.aspx files, but cannot see any of the .aspx.vb files. Here is a header
from one of the files:

<%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="default.aspx.vb"
Inherits="vwma._default"%>

For example, in this directory, there is no default.aspx.vb file. In fact,
there are no *.vb files anywhere on the site, but the site is fully
functional. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tony

It means that the site was published. You can publish a site using
Visual Studio's "Build / Publish" menu. This will compile all the files
into a DLL.

The "codebehind" attribute is just an indication for the visual
designer. In fact, it can be removed and the site will work just fine.

HTH,
Laurent

Anthony Bollinger

Thank you both for your answers. We are out of luck, as there are no .vb
files available, but at least I know where we are at.

Take care,
Tony

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

Anthony said:
Thank you both for your answers. We are out of luck, as there are no .vb
files available, but at least I know where we are at.

Take care,
Tony

If you have absolutely no chance to get the VB files, you can decompile
the code, it will be a start. Check Lutz Roeder's Reflector
http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/

HTH,
Laurent