random "The operation has timed-out." exception in vb.net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Alex Litvak, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. Alex Litvak

    Alex Litvak Guest

    I spent the last few hours reading numerous posts on this subject and
    haven't been able to find a fix to this problem.

    Tried:

    - setting HTTP KeepAlive to false (by overriding GetWebRequest)
    - adjusting timeout setting

    I am running an ASP.Net web service performing 3 tasks (functions).
    The first two return a string and never cause any problems. The last
    one is kicked off by a request from the client transferring a file as
    a byte array to the server at which point the server kicks off a
    thread to process the file and returns. The client polls the server
    every so often to see if the operation is complete and pulls back a
    byte array.

    Problem:

    When calling the "initiation" function that transfers the file over
    and kicks off a thread I get the "The operation has timed-out."
    exception. This happens completely randomly. My current work around
    is to trap that exception and re-issue the same request recursively
    (silly work around) which usually doesn't take more than a second or
    two to finally get through. Obviously that's not a great way of
    handling this, but I am completely clueless to what is causing the
    problem because I cannot narrow it down to when it happens. Sometimes
    it will happen on the 2nd request, other times on the 22nd request.
    Also, once in a while it will throw the same exception on receiving
    back and/or checking if the operation is complete. I am completely
    clueless, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Here is the stack trace:

    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest
    request)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest
    request)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
    methodName, Object[] parameters)

    If anyone has any ideas that would make my blues go away do tell :)
    Thanks in advance.

    Alex Litvak, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Were you able to find the solution?

    Sachin Surana, Feb 2, 2005