    learning Python and I want to get started with using it to manipulate
    XML. I don't know much about XML either, but I'm familiar with HTML.

    Thanks!

    enjoylife_95135, Jul 26, 2004

  2. >>>>> "enjoylife" == enjoylife <> writes:

    enjoylife> Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for Python/XML
    enjoylife> books. Amazon.com had 2 relevant books, Python&XML by Christopher
    enjoylife> Jones (from O'Reilly) and XML processing with Python by Sean
    enjoylife> McGrath.The O'Reilly book seemed to have better reviews.

    enjoylife> But it concerns me that both books are rather old! Does anyone
    enjoylife> have any newer references? Otherwise does the relative age of the
    enjoylife> books (+3 years) really matter?

    Python has SAX and DOM. Since they are language independent standards, you
    could use any XML documentation for programming and then check some Python
    manuals (like http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.4/lib/lib.html). The XML
    documents are normally for Java, but I guess there is no big difference.

    --
    Arto V. Viitanen
    University of Tampere, Department of Computer Sciences

    Arto Viitanen, Jul 27, 2004

  3. enjoylife_95135

    Ron Stephens Guest

    I liked Python & XML, by Christopher A. Jones and Fred L. Drake, Jr.,
    an O'Reilly book. I have posted a book review here
    www.awaretek.com/book.html

    I have not read the McGrath book, XML Processing with Python, but
    scanning it in the bookstore it also looked pretty good.

    Ron Stephens

    Ron Stephens, Jul 27, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    Ron Stephens <> wrote:
    >I liked Python & XML, by Christopher A. Jones and Fred L. Drake, Jr.,
    >an O'Reilly book. I have posted a book review here
    >www.awaretek.com/book.html
    >
    >I have not read the McGrath book, XML Processing with Python, but
    >scanning it in the bookstore it also looked pretty good.
    >
    >Ron Stephens

    Sean's book *is* good, if dated, at least for some uses.
    Some people with an interest in XML and Python will find
    that *Text Processing in Python* <URL: http://gnosis.cx/TPiP/ >
    is ideal: thorough, rich, interesting, and accurate.

    Cameron Laird, Jul 27, 2004
  5. Cool. I went with your recommendation and picked up the Jones/Drake
    book from the bookstore.
    The customer reviews for the McGrath book on amazon.com weren't too
    good BTW, which was another factor in my decision. The O'Reilly book
    had 2 great reviews and 1 bad one.

    Since you seem to enjoy reviewing books, I'd be interested in your
    opinion of:
    http://www.diveintopython.org

    Thanks!

    enjoylife_95135, Jul 27, 2004
  6. enjoylife_95135

    Uche Ogbuji Guest

    (enjoylife_95135) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Cool. I went with your recommendation and picked up the Jones/Drake
    > book from the bookstore.

    In that case you might want to browse

    http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/11/py-xml.html

    Also, I have a brief discussion of books at the start of

    http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/18/py.html

    Overall, see also

    http://www.xml.com/pub/at/24
    http://uche.ogbuji.net/akara/nodes/2003-01-01/pyxml-akara?xslt=/akara/akara.xslt

    Good luck.

    --
    Uche Ogbuji Fourthought, Inc.
    http://uche.ogbuji.net http://4Suite.org http://fourthought.com

    Uche Ogbuji, Jul 30, 2004
  7. Thank you so much for your input. I will be sure to follow your column
    carefully. Lots of fun catching up to do now :)

    Regards,

    enjoylife_95135, Aug 2, 2004