Refresh/Compile an ASP.Net application without VS.Net

MB

Hello!

At home I am using ASP.net to develop an asp application.
Now I have copied this application to my IIS5.0 server at my workplace.
Everything works fine, but then I would do a change in a code behind file. I
made the changes with notepad, but I can't get it to take affect. Not event
restarting IIS solved it. How do I compile or refresh IIS so that my changes
takes affect? I do not have VS.Net at my workplace. Where is the running
code located? Is it in memory, and if it is, in which process?

Regards Magnus

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi ,

The code behind file had been compiled to be an assembly file. If we
modified some code in it, we may recompile it to make the change effect.
Otherwise, IIS just uses the old assembly file though you have saved the
change in the codehind. You may install .NET Framework SDK and use csc.exe
in command line to recompile the codebehind file. If you already have
csc.exe on your machine, you need not to download .NET Framework SDK. You
may check %systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322.

The .NET Framework SDK can be downloaded in this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9B3A2CA6-3647-4070-
9F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en

You may check this link for more information.
NET Framework: Building, Packaging, Deploying, and Administering
Applications and Types.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/02/buildapps/default.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| From: "MB" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Refresh/Compile an ASP.Net application without VS.Net
| Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:22:34 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hello!
|
| At home I am using ASP.net to develop an asp application.
| Now I have copied this application to my IIS5.0 server at my workplace.
| Everything works fine, but then I would do a change in a code behind
file. I
| made the changes with notepad, but I can't get it to take affect. Not
event
| restarting IIS solved it. How do I compile or refresh IIS so that my
changes
| takes affect? I do not have VS.Net at my workplace. Where is the running
| code located? Is it in memory, and if it is, in which process?
|
| Regards Magnus

MB

Thank you, but I was to difficult for me. I had to write several files in
the reference option and I couldn't get it to work anyway.
Anyway, I solved the problem by just compiling the project at home. Then I
moved the dll-file to my workplace, and it took affect immediately.

So the problem is solved, even if I think it could be more simple to compile
by the vbc command.

Regards Magnus