Ruby blog software.

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Lloyd Zusman, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. Lloyd Zusman

    Lloyd Zusman Guest

    As a favor to a friend, I'm setting up a blog for her on my server.

    Since I like ruby so much, I'd like to use some ruby-based blog
    software. I see a number of possibilities on RAA for this, and I'm
    wondering if any of you could recommend one or more of these (or perhaps
    something else that's ruby-ish that's not on RAA, if such a thing
    exists).

    I don't want to get into a "my blog is better than yours" war on this
    list, so it probably would be best if any of you who have thoughts
    about this would email me privately.

    I'm looking for the typical things: reliability, features, ease of use,
    etc.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you might have.

    --
    Lloyd Zusman

    God bless you.

    Lloyd Zusman, Sep 1, 2004

  2. Lloyd Zusman ha scritto:

    > I don't want to get into a "my blog is better than yours" war on this
    > list, so it probably would be best if any of you who have thoughts
    > about this would email me privately.
    >
    > I'm looking for the typical things: reliability, features, ease of use,
    > etc.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you might have.

    I guess the biggest players in this arena are Rublog and tDiary.
    the former I saw used from many rubyists, the latter has enpowers a big
    community (tdiary.net) in japan (english docs in the doc/ dir of the
    tarball pkg)

    gabriele renzi, Sep 1, 2004

  3. Lloyd Zusman

    Jamis Buck Guest

    Lloyd Zusman wrote:
    > As a favor to a friend, I'm setting up a blog for her on my server.
    >
    > Since I like ruby so much, I'd like to use some ruby-based blog
    > software. I see a number of possibilities on RAA for this, and I'm
    > wondering if any of you could recommend one or more of these (or perhaps
    > something else that's ruby-ish that's not on RAA, if such a thing
    > exists).
    >
    > I don't want to get into a "my blog is better than yours" war on this
    > list, so it probably would be best if any of you who have thoughts
    > about this would email me privately.

    Then again, please don't. :) I'm interested in what people have to say
    about Ruby blogs, too. I'm using moveabletype right now, and although
    there are things I like about it, there are lots of things I *don't*
    like about it.

    > I'm looking for the typical things: reliability, features, ease of use,
    > etc.

    Ditto. :)

    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you might have.

    - Jamis

    --
    Jamis Buck

    http://www.jamisbuck.org/jamis

    Jamis Buck, Sep 1, 2004
  4. On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 06:01:14 +0900, Lloyd Zusman <> wrote:
    > As a favor to a friend, I'm setting up a blog for her on my server.
    >
    > Since I like ruby so much, I'd like to use some ruby-based blog
    > software. I see a number of possibilities on RAA for this, and I'm
    > wondering if any of you could recommend one or more of these (or perhaps
    > something else that's ruby-ish that's not on RAA, if such a thing
    > exists).
    >
    > I don't want to get into a "my blog is better than yours" war on this
    > list, so it probably would be best if any of you who have thoughts
    > about this would email me privately.
    >
    > I'm looking for the typical things: reliability, features, ease of use,
    > etc.

    I just switched (in the last two days) from tDiary to RubLog. tDiary
    is decent, but doesn't have nice English support, and there is little
    that seems that can be done to support preventing comment spam.

    RubLog doesn't have any comment facilities at all, so ... The bigger
    problem with RubLog is that it doesn't have a web-based input
    interface, but that may change with the Ruwiki integration converter
    that is being worked on. This could also be used to provide a comment
    mechanism, but that would take additional work.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Sep 1, 2004
  5. Lloyd Zusman

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Jamis Buck wrote:
    > Lloyd Zusman wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't want to get into a "my blog is better than yours" war on this
    >> list, so it probably would be best if any of you who have thoughts
    >> about this would email me privately.

    > Then again, please don't. :) I'm interested in what people have to say
    > about Ruby blogs, too. I'm using moveabletype right now, and although
    > there are things I like about it, there are lots of things I *don't*
    > like about it.
    >
    >> I'm looking for the typical things: reliability, features, ease of use,
    >> etc.

    Aren't we all. :)

    I only have experience with Rublog really, but I'll share my impressions
    of it here.

    I don't have a public blog at the moment, by the way, or I'd point you
    to it.

    There were some minor problems setting up rublog, two-thirds of which
    were my own dumb mistakes.

    Once I set it up, I had some conceptual problems with it. I was looking
    at the .rb file, and I asked Chad: Couldn't this be put in a config file
    or something instead?

    And he said: The code IS the config file.

    And this bothered me at first, but then the light bulb went on. Rublog
    gives you a truly rich and powerful set of tools, and lets you use them
    more or less as you wish.

    The more simple and trivial your blog is, the more you night say: It should
    do this for me. I shouldn't have to write this.

    But as it scales up, it scales smoothly and easily, and it's all in Ruby,
    and life is good. And then you realize: Hey, I bet I could do THIS and it
    wouldn't be that hard at all...

    Just my impressions.

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Sep 1, 2004
  6. Lloyd Zusman

    Chris Morris Guest

    Lloyd Zusman wrote:

    >As a favor to a friend, I'm setting up a blog for her on my server.
    >
    >Since I like ruby so much, I'd like to use some ruby-based blog
    >software. I see a number of possibilities on RAA for this, and I'm
    >wondering if any of you could recommend one or more of these (or perhaps
    >something else that's ruby-ish that's not on RAA, if such a thing
    >exists).
    >
    >I don't want to get into a "my blog is better than yours" war on this
    >list, so it probably would be best if any of you who have thoughts
    >about this would email me privately.
    >
    >I'm looking for the typical things: reliability, features, ease of use,
    >etc.

    My own clWiki has a blog interface for it. I use it here:
    http://www.clabs.org/blog. That said, to my knowledge it's not used much
    anywhere else, so there might be lurking evil for someone else trying to
    use it. For searching, it requires a DRb index process to be run
    (technically it doesn't, but the non-DRb is broken right now).

    You can leave the wiki freely editable, or configure it to have the
    editor be secured, so only certain people can edit.

    As Wikis go, it's also bizarre, missing some very common features and
    including some that most popular ones don't have.

    So ... to sum up, it works for me, it might even work for you. :)

    --
    Chris
    http://clabs.org

    Chris Morris, Sep 1, 2004
  7. Lloyd Zusman

    Guest

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Jamis Buck wrote:

    > Then again, please don't. :) I'm interested in what people have to say about
    > Ruby blogs, too. I'm using moveabletype right now, and although there are
    > things I like about it, there are lots of things I *don't* like about it.

    same here on both counts.

    i wonder if tdairy would run under webrick? anyone out there done it?

    -a
    | PHONE :: 303.497.6469
    | --Dogen

    , Sep 1, 2004
  8. Lloyd Zusman

    James Britt Guest

    Lloyd Zusman wrote:
    > As a favor to a friend, I'm setting up a blog for her on my server.
    >
    > Since I like ruby so much, I'd like to use some ruby-based blog
    > software. I see a number of possibilities on RAA for this, and I'm
    > wondering if any of you could recommend one or more of these (or perhaps
    > something else that's ruby-ish that's not on RAA, if such a thing
    > exists).
    >
    > I don't want to get into a "my blog is better than yours" war on this
    > list, so it probably would be best if any of you who have thoughts
    > about this would email me privately.
    >
    > I'm looking for the typical things: reliability, features, ease of use,
    > etc.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you might have.

    Blogtari is all Ruby, supports textile, markdown, and (to some extent)
    OOo writer docs as source format, exports rss feeds, and has a modest
    XML-RPC interface.

    It's beta; development has been put aside for a bit while other projects
    have my attention, but it runs rubyxml.com, ruby-doc.org,
    jamesbritt.com, among others.

    http://www.blogtari.com

    James

    James Britt, Sep 1, 2004
  9. Lloyd Zusman

    Chris Morris Guest

    Lloyd Zusman wrote:

    >As a favor to a friend, I'm setting up a blog for her on my server.
    >
    >Since I like ruby so much, I'd like to use some ruby-based blog
    >software. I see a number of possibilities on RAA for this, and I'm
    >wondering if any of you could recommend one or more of these (or perhaps
    >something else that's ruby-ish that's not on RAA, if such a thing
    >exists).
    >
    >I don't want to get into a "my blog is better than yours" war on this
    >list, so it probably would be best if any of you who have thoughts
    >about this would email me privately.

    Does Instiki have a blog view? It's been pretty well received, I believe.

    http://www.instiki.org/show/InstikiFeatures

    Hmmm ... rss feed, maybe could be used effectively for a blog.

    Oh, minor deal on using my clWiki for a blog, you can setup a custom tag
    to determine which articles you'd like to publish in the blog view
    (defaults to all...)

    --
    Chris
    http://clabs.org/blogki

    Chris Morris, Sep 2, 2004
  10. Lloyd Zusman

    Lloyd Zusman Guest

    Lloyd Zusman <> writes:

    > As a favor to a friend, I'm setting up a blog for her on my server.
    >
    > Since I like ruby so much, I'd like to use some ruby-based blog
    > software. I see a number of possibilities on RAA for this, and I'm
    > wondering if any of you could recommend one or more of these (or perhaps
    > something else that's ruby-ish that's not on RAA, if such a thing
    > exists).
    >
    > [ ... ]

    Wow! I'm happily surprised at how many of you have responded. There
    are too many replies for me to thank you individually, so I give my
    heartfelt thanks collectively to you all.

    I now have a number of promising Ruby blog options to try. Once I have
    settled on one of them, I'll write back with my experiences and
    feedback.

    Again ... thanks!

    --
    Lloyd Zusman

    God bless you.

    Lloyd Zusman, Sep 2, 2004
  11. Lloyd Zusman

    Will Drewry Guest

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:26:08 +0900, Lloyd Zusman <> wrote:
    > Lloyd Zusman <> writes:
    >
    > > As a favor to a friend, I'm setting up a blog for her on my server.
    > >
    > > Since I like ruby so much, I'd like to use some ruby-based blog
    > > software. I see a number of possibilities on RAA for this, and I'm
    > > wondering if any of you could recommend one or more of these (or perhaps
    > > something else that's ruby-ish that's not on RAA, if such a thing
    > > exists).
    > >
    > > [ ... ]

    > Wow! I'm happily surprised at how many of you have responded. There
    > are too many replies for me to thank you individually, so I give my
    > heartfelt thanks collectively to you all.
    >
    > I now have a number of promising Ruby blog options to try. Once I have
    > settled on one of them, I'll write back with my experiences and
    > feedback.
    >
    > Again ... thanks!

    Just to add to the list of example sites, dataspill.org is rublog-based.

    Good luck. I know I'm not alone in looking forward to hearing about
    your experiences!
    wad

    Will Drewry, Sep 2, 2004
  12. Hi,

    > tDiary is decent, but doesn't have nice English support

    Send patch.

    > and there is little that seems that can be done to support preventing comment spam.
    >
    > RubLog doesn't have any comment facilities at all, so ...

    You can disable tsukkomi in the preferences.

    --
    Laurent

    Laurent Sansonetti, Sep 2, 2004
  13. On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 16:49:08 +0900, Laurent Sansonetti
    <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > > tDiary is decent, but doesn't have nice English support

    > Send patch.

    If one likes mucking around in the tDiary code. I didn't. I found the
    plugins easier to deal with, but too many of them are just *slightly*
    problematic. The real issue with tDiary's English support is the level
    of documentation available. It's unclear what modes and plugins work
    well together.

    > > and there is little that seems that can be done to support preventing comment spam.
    > > RubLog doesn't have any comment facilities at all, so ...

    > You can disable tsukkomi in the preferences.

    Not exactly preferred. I *do* want a comment and visitor tracking
    system without resorting to email (as I am having to do with RubLog),
    but I don't want to have to delete spam comments and tracking from my
    diary, either.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Sep 2, 2004
  14. On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:51:23 +0900, Austin Ziegler <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 16:49:08 +0900, Laurent Sansonetti
    > <> wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > > tDiary is decent, but doesn't have nice English support

    > > Send patch.

    > If one likes mucking around in the tDiary code. I didn't. I found the
    > plugins easier to deal with, but too many of them are just *slightly*
    > problematic. The real issue with tDiary's English support is the level
    > of documentation available. It's unclear what modes and plugins work
    > well together.

    I agree with you on that point, non-japanese documentation is lacking.
    But, fortunately, it is written in Ruby, so reading the code is
    usually enough to understand what it does :)

    > > > and there is little that seems that can be done to support preventing comment spam.
    > > > RubLog doesn't have any comment facilities at all, so ...

    > > You can disable tsukkomi in the preferences.

    > Not exactly preferred. I *do* want a comment and visitor tracking
    > system without resorting to email (as I am having to do with RubLog),
    > but I don't want to have to delete spam comments and tracking from my
    > diary, either.

    Hehe, I don't know tDiary so much, but maybe it is possible to write a
    plugin that uses an antispam filter for that. But I'm using tDiary
    since more than a year now (with a decent traffic), and I never had a
    single spam comment.

    --
    Laurent

    Laurent Sansonetti, Sep 2, 2004
  15. Lloyd Zusman

    Mike Clark Guest

    On Sep 1, 2004, at 3:25 PM, Jamis Buck wrote:

    > Then again, please don't. :) I'm interested in what people have to say
    > about Ruby blogs, too. I'm using moveabletype right now, and although
    > there are things I like about it, there are lots of things I *don't*
    > like about it.

    Just for the record, you can use MoveableType styles with Rublog. For
    example, I'm using a variant of the ModernLines style on my site:

    http://pragmaticautomation.com

    Jim Weirich has more example styles with Rublog at:

    http://onestepback.org/index.cgi/General/MoreLooks.rdoc

    Mike

    Mike Clark, Sep 2, 2004
  16. Lloyd Zusman

    Jamis Buck Guest

    Mike Clark wrote:

    > On Sep 1, 2004, at 3:25 PM, Jamis Buck wrote:
    >
    >> Then again, please don't. :) I'm interested in what people have to say
    >> about Ruby blogs, too. I'm using moveabletype right now, and although
    >> there are things I like about it, there are lots of things I *don't*
    >> like about it.

    > Just for the record, you can use MoveableType styles with Rublog. For
    > example, I'm using a variant of the ModernLines style on my site:
    >
    > http://pragmaticautomation.com
    >
    > Jim Weirich has more example styles with Rublog at:
    >
    > http://onestepback.org/index.cgi/General/MoreLooks.rdoc
    >
    > Mike

    Rublog looks tempting, I'll have to admit. I need to give it a try (and
    Blogtari -- that looked promising, too).

    However, here are three of the features that I really would like, and
    which I didn't see in either of those:

    1) Online composition of articles.

    2) The ability to set an article as a "draft", so it doesn't appear
    in the published version of the blog. (My wife uses this feature of
    MoveableType all the time.) This feature only really makes sense when
    online composotion of articles is available.

    3) Textile support. (Blogtari does this, but I didn't see any
    RedCloth converter for Rublog.)

    I imagine it's not too hard to add new converters to Rublog. (I seem to
    remember a thread about that not too very long ago...) If I have the
    time (ha!) I'd like to see about maybe hacking on the other two
    features, unless someone has already done so.

    - Jamis

    Jamis Buck, Sep 2, 2004
  17. On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 23:33:33 +0900, Jamis Buck <> wrote:
    > Mike Clark wrote:
    > Rublog looks tempting, I'll have to admit. I need to give it a try (and
    > Blogtari -- that looked promising, too).
    >
    > However, here are three of the features that I really would like, and
    > which I didn't see in either of those:
    >
    > 1) Online composition of articles.

    As noted in an earlier message, Chad has a RubLog/Ruwiki converter for
    an earlier version of Ruwiki -- it doesn't work with the current
    version. Either he or I will get it working before RubyConf 2004, as
    it's part of my goal for the 0.8.1/0.9.0 timeframe.

    > 2) The ability to set an article as a "draft", so it doesn't appear
    > in the published version of the blog. (My wife uses this feature of
    > MoveableType all the time.) This feature only really makes sense when
    > online composotion of articles is available.

    There is a (commented-out) feature called Filters that will help with
    this. I am diving into the Rublog code as the Bluecloth/Markdown
    support didn't work for short RSS, so I added the ability to put a
    synopsis as was done for RDoc formats. I really like the multiple
    format support, and this was nice and easy to deal with. I also added
    a custom timestamp generator from the filename (e.g., Foo.20040101.md
    will publish the markdown-formatted with the date of 2004.01.01). I
    will probably look at enabling the Filters feature on my local copy
    and offer the changes back to Dave.

    I also took the template enhancements that I did for Ruwiki (it uses
    the RDoc/Rublog template engine) and backported them to Ruwiki
    (although there's porting that has to go both ways) that I will offer
    back to Dave for this, as I think it simplifies some of the template
    code.

    > 3) Textile support. (Blogtari does this, but I didn't see any
    > RedCloth converter for Rublog.)
    >
    > I imagine it's not too hard to add new converters to Rublog. (I seem to
    > remember a thread about that not too very long ago...) If I have the
    > time (ha!) I'd like to see about maybe hacking on the other two
    > features, unless someone has already done so.

    Ultimately, Ruwiki will offer a way to work with Textile and Markdown
    formatted stuff.

    -austin

    Austin Ziegler, Sep 2, 2004
  18. Lloyd Zusman

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On Sep 2, 2004, at 9:33, Jamis Buck wrote:

    > 1) Online composition of articles.

    You probably won't see this coming from me: I'd much rather use a text
    editor to edit text... :)

    > 2) The ability to set an article as a "draft", so it doesn't appear
    > in the published version of the blog. (My wife uses this feature of
    > MoveableType all the time.) This feature only really makes sense when
    > online composotion of articles is available.

    One of the joys (for me) of RubLog is that it understands CVS, so I can
    edit articles anywhere, and then jut check them in to have them appear.
    I run Apache on my Powerbiik, with a RubLog pointing to my check-ed out
    workspace. I edit articles on that machine, and view them inthe local
    apache. When I'm happy, I do CVS commit, and they're sent to my server,
    and are published via http://pragprog.com/pragdave.

    > 3) Textile support. (Blogtari does this, but I didn't see any
    > RedCloth converter for Rublog.)

    There's already a Markdown convertor--that's BlueCloth, right?

    Cheers

    Dave

    Dave Thomas, Sep 2, 2004
  19. Lloyd Zusman

    Dave Thomas Guest

    --Apple-Mail-10--132287805

    On Sep 2, 2004, at 10:19, Dave Thomas wrote:
    > One of the joys (for me) of RubLog is that it understands CVS, so I
    > can edit articles anywhere, and then jut check them in to have them
    > appear. I run Apache on my Powerbiik, with a RubLog pointing to my
    > check-ed out workspace. I edit articles on that machine, and view them
    > inthe local apache. When I'm happy, I do CVS commit, and they're sent
    > to my server, and are published via http://pragprog.com/pragdave.

    Time to start actually reading my posts before hitting SEND... :(

    > 3) Textile support. (Blogtari does this, but I didn't see any
    > RedCloth converter for Rublog.)
    >
    > There's already a Markdown convertor--that's BlueCloth, right?

    What I meant to add after this was "So I imagine adding other like
    formats can't be too difficult..."

    Cheers

    Dave

    --Apple-Mail-10--132287805--

    Dave Thomas, Sep 2, 2004
  20. Lloyd Zusman

    Jamis Buck Guest

    Dave Thomas wrote:

    > On Sep 2, 2004, at 10:19, Dave Thomas wrote:
    >
    >> One of the joys (for me) of RubLog is that it understands CVS, so I
    >> can edit articles anywhere, and then jut check them in to have them
    >> appear. I run Apache on my Powerbiik, with a RubLog pointing to my
    >> check-ed out workspace. I edit articles on that machine, and view them
    >> inthe local apache. When I'm happy, I do CVS commit, and they're sent
    >> to my server, and are published via http://pragprog.com/pragdave.

    :D Well, if I had shell access to the box on which my blog is published,
    your CVS approach would be wonderful. Unfortunately, all I have is
    FTP... But wait a minute; am I a Ruby programmer, or aren't I? :) I'm
    sure I could make it work, for me. My wife, however, would certainly
    prefer the web interface to a
    text-editor/local-web-server/upload-process approach. It would certainly
    make Rublog that much more attractive to the
    "non-programming-casual-blogger" demographic.

    > Time to start actually reading my posts before hitting SEND... :(

    >> 3) Textile support. (Blogtari does this, but I didn't see any
    >> RedCloth converter for Rublog.)
    >>
    >> There's already a Markdown convertor--that's BlueCloth, right?
    >>

    > What I meant to add after this was "So I imagine adding other like
    > formats can't be too difficult..."

    I figured that's what you meant. :)

    - Jamis

    Jamis Buck, Sep 2, 2004