Ruby OSCON related activities

Phil Tomson

If you're coming to OSCON, consider also coming to FOSCON :)

The FOSCON FAQ:

What is FOSCON?
================
FOSCON just means free OSCON. Several of us in Portland got into OSCON
free the last couple of years by volunteering. When we found out that
there would be no volunteer opportunities this year we decided to see if
any of the Ruby speakers would like to 'practice' their OSCON talks on us
local Rubyists - thus FOSCON (or as Lennon calls it: OSCANT) was born.

When is it?
==============
Wednesday, August 3rd 2005. Evening. We'll start at 6:30PM
and go till 10:30PM or so.

Who is speaking?
=================
*Jim Weirich: I think Jim is going to speak on Domain Specific Languages
and Ruby (or maybe he'll talk about dependency injection).
*DHH: I suspect his talk will have something to do with Rails
*Why The Lucky Stiff: Music. Mayhem. Ruby. Elves. Poignant. Not to be
missed.
* Jamis Buck: Jamis will be talking about his Ruby-Javascript bridge
thingy.

Matz has indicated that he plans to attend, but he doesn't want to speak
(well, I mean he doen't want to give a presentation - if you ask him a
question I suspect he will answer). That's cool.

Where's it gonna be?
=====================
At the lavish conference facilities of FreeGeek in Portland. FreeGeek is
located at:
1731 SE 10th Avenue, Portland OR
http://freegeek.org

Will there be food and drink?
==============================
Of course! Shortly after convening we will take a collection and order
pizza for delivery. We'll be bringing our favorite beverages to share as
well.

How can I get there from OSCON?
=================================
We're planning to have some drivers who can take people from the
Convention Center (where OSCON is being held) to FreeGeek. It shouldn't
take more than 15 minutes even at 6PM. We'll also offer rides back to
the Convention Center area so you can get back to your hotel.
If you need a ride, plese sign up on the wiki
(http://pdxruby.org/pdxruby/show/Need+a+ride? ) so we can figure out
how many vehicles we might need.

The #6 bus
is also an option. You would catch it out in front of the convention
center at 6:15PM and get off at Hawthorne blvd (make sure you're getting
on the southbound #6). Then proceed East on Hawthorne (away
from the river) to 10th St. Turn right at 10th St. and walk 2 or 3
blocks and FreeGeek will be on your right. Bus fare would be $1.40 each
way (be sure to have correct change as they don't give change on the
bus). It should be possible to make it to FreeGeek by 6:30ish if you get
the 6:15 bus and walk briskly.

Alternatively (watch the wiki) there may also be a Riverfront
tour/walk that would go from the Convention center to FreeGeek - about a
45 minute walk mostly along the lovely Willamette River (just don't swim
in it:). It would be a nice way to unwind after a long day of
conventioneering.

Look for more details as they emerge on the pdxruby
wiki: http://pdxruby.org/pdxruby/show/FOSCON

Phil

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

If you're coming to OSCON, consider also coming to FOSCON :)
This is awesome! I can't afford to go to OSCON but I will definitely
be at FOSCON!
-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
WebMaster
Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper